Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > nail in right front tire? after fix can i still tear it up!!??

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-11-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
ducati955
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: lifted tacoma on 38's & ducati

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
nail in right front tire? after fix can i still tear it up!!??

so i have a small nail in the right front tire... when i get this fixed can i still speed at times, take corners, or get new tire? (i hope that the nail is so small, maybe it didnt even puncture it) not loosing air at all....
thanx

NEW RIDE white GTR!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
02themax
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Should be fine, once punctured the tire is reduced 1 level speed rating after being repaired.

E90 335i
Sport Package - Logic 7 Sound w/ipod - Bluetooth - Comfort Access - PDC - 19" M3 Reps 275/30 235/35 - Blacklines - 10mil spacers rear, 5mil spacers front - BMW Alarm
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02themax View Post
Should be fine, once punctured the tire is reduced 1 level speed rating after being repaired.
not the case....

The guidelines for Michelin, BFGoodrich and Uniroyal tires allow up to three patch-plug repairs per tire in the tread area. However, punctures must be at least 90 degrees around the tire from each other.

Adhering to these Michelin rules will allow the tire to retain its speed capabilities.

Quoting from Michelin's repair guide: "If the above repair limits are followed, the tire will retain its original speed rating. Plug-only repairs done on the wheel are considered improper and therefore, not recommended. Such repairs are not reliable and may cause further damage to the tire. Tires with such repairs should be scrapped."

For Michelin Zero Pressure (ZP) self-supporting run-flat tires, the repair procedure is exactly the same with one exception: the tire can only be repaired once. A second puncture consigns the tire to the recycling heap.

Bridgestone also insists on the same patch-plug procedures to keep the tire's warranty in effect. The tire maker also only allows repairs to the tread area. Another issue is that there must be at least 1.6 mm of tread depth left.

However, any repair to a speed-rated tire means "the rating is void if the tire is repaired, retreaded, damaged, abused, or otherwise altered from its original condition. Thereafter, it should be treated as a non-speed-rated tire. Improper repair voids the tire limited warranty."

So it is time for a new tire if you have a performance car. To again quote the Bridgestone repair brochure, "To avoid reducing the speed capability of the vehicle, replace a speed-rated tire only with another tire having at least the same speed rating. It is the `top speed' of the `slowest' tire on the vehicle which limits the vehicle's top speed without tire failure."

i dont recall ever reading a mfr's guidelines that state subtract one speed rating.
some say no change as long as its a proper plug patch, others say, it loses the speed rating completely.
Appreciate 0