Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 4wheel drive vs snow tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #331
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rteichman View Post
Two years ago I bought a 328 coupe and specifically did not get xDrive to save on gas milage. I drive a lot and live in the Philadelphia area where we don't get much snow so I decided to go for the better MPG tradeoff. Besides, I had a 2000 3 series previously that I used to drive in the snow with no problem.

Last Spring I moved to a very VERY hilly section of Philadelphia. I was nervous because I noticed all my neighbors had SUvs LOL, but I figured what the heck. Well Sunday we got a lot of snow, and while they were very good about clearing most roads the street back to my house is up a short but steep hill. With my all season tires I was able to get out of my complex, drive downhill and then easily maneuvered around snow covered streets (BMW traction control is the best!). Unfortunately on my way back home the car would not make it up the hill. I ended up parking on the street a few blocks away in a spot I could drive into as it was down hill. I can't back out though because that is up hill. See the issue?

I figure I have to bite the bullet and do something. I love the car I have, but I also like being able to drive home. I figure my options are as follows:
1) Least expensive and if it works makes me the happiest is to buy high performance snow tires
2) Buy a hybrid SUV (for the gas milage) like the Lexus RX 400h
3) Buy a 328 xDrive Coupe.

Tires are the cheapest, but I would hate to spend $1,000 on tires only to find that I still can't get up that blasted hill. Any comments on if it will work? For those of you that know Philadelphia, I live in Manayunk. That will explain the hill part
I drove a 2002 ///M3 for 4 years. I purchased that car in Vancouver BC. Canada then drove it home to Edmonton, Alberta Canada. The car came with fairly new snow tires when I purchased the car in 2005. I had no problems driving the car home over the Canadian Rockies.

Once I got home, near my house I found it fairly unsafe primarily because where I lived at the time they never cleared our side streets in the winter time. I nearly slit into another car I was very fortunate that I did not.

What I am saying is for safety and piece of mind it is best to mount snow tires. I picked up a wheel set at BMW it was on special at the time for around $3,000- (BMW OEM wheels and Michelin ICE snow tires it was a good deal).

I never had any problems driving my rear wheel drive ///M3 adjusting driving habit of course in the winter time and taking it easy in the back streets near my home.

If your hills are very steep I recommend you get an AWD if you find these winter conditions only once in a while I would just get a good winter wheel set.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 01:14 AM   #332
tomz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
That's incorrect. Having driven both extensively, I can vouch. Take it from a life-long driving Bostonian. I'd take AWD with A/S tires over RWD with snows ANY DAY.

dR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree. I live in a suburb of Rochester NY and I live next to Lake Ontario...I know what snow is like to drive in. (We average 9 feet a year.)

As I mentioned, I've had all types of vehicles including SUV's. My RWD cars with snows do as good as anything else I've driven.

pffft... Boston... I agree completely with BMWsky. I live in Rochester, NY as well... I have the snowblower out almost every day.

My 335i RWD with blizzaks could EASILY run circles around the 328xi + all-season service loaner I just had out two weeks ago.

AWD + Winter Tires is obviously optimal for winter driving...

However in my book :
RWD + Winter Tires >>>> AWD + All Season

Just make sure you get a dedicated snow/ice tire (e.g. Blizzak WS70 and comparable). The "high-speed, high-performance / sport winter etc." tires (e.g. Blizzak LM25 and comparable) are substantially worse. They are made from an all-season compound with a deeper tread pattern.

Last edited by tomz17; 01-23-2011 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0