E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni Yellow + Swift Spec R Review

11-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #45
HighPSI
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub679 View Post
Any further assessments now that you've had this setup for a while?
Still great! I need to make some adjustments to the settings for my taste but other than that I love the setup. Highly recommended.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #46
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

are thr r spec preferred over the other swift springs?
are the spring rates high enough?
I read some r using 400/800
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #47
Kenu8187
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Could be wrong but I believe the swift spec R are about 220/600
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #48
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

I believe harold of hpa recommended 336/700 with konis.
I'm wondering why the r spec r 220/600.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #49
J38
BMW Addict
Rep
Drives: '11 X5

#1 I believe those rates are unconfirmed. Not sure Swift publishes them so you may want to confirm them.
#2 Differences in philosophy. Not all spring rates will be what Harold at HPA recommends. Street/track bias, front/rear bias, handling manners, etc. will vary based on the goal of the manufacturer. Best way to decide what spring you want is to ride in that setup, or try something and be willing to not like it/change it out. That's pretty much it.
      12-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #50
AGO 530
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SG '24 M3CX

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPSI View Post
Still great! I need to make some adjustments to the settings for my taste but other than that I love the setup. Highly recommended.
HighPSI

What setting on the Koni's are you running in the rear?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #51
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 530i

kinda off topic but can you post some more pics of your car pleasee?? I've been thinking about get apex's but can't seem to find pics with them on a AW e92.. I don't think anyone will complain about more pics =)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #52
HighPSI
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_bmw View Post
kinda off topic but can you post some more pics of your car pleasee?? I've been thinking about get apex's but can't seem to find pics with them on a AW e92.. I don't think anyone will complain about more pics =)
Sorry buddy, car is now in winter mode - winter wheels.

All I can say is it looks amazing in person. Meaty R Comps + 17 Satin Arc 8 + Lowered + AW E92 ftw. Nothing beats a white car with black wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #53
R0oster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

just ordered a set of swift springs from hp autosport
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #54
J38
BMW Addict
Rep
Drives: '11 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0oster View Post
Cool ... In for feedback.
      12-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #55
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0oster View Post
Same here ^
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #56
DT_F80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 F80

What are your settings on the Koni's? The drop looks great!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #57
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
No, not at all. You will only experience slightly less drop and improved comfort!
Can you pm me how much this set up for a 328i would cost shipped? thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #58
richragus
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i w/ Sport Monaco

Koni Yellow's and Swift Spec-R Review - LAYMAN's Perspective

I just had Harold and Turbo Mike at HP Autowerks install the Koni Yellows and Swift Spec-R Springs on my '08 E90 335i Sport, Dinan Stage 2, M3 Control Arms, and WOW, these things absolutely rock! This is my daily driver, and I like to tear it up every so often as well in our local spots. I have to admit that I'm not really dialed in to the specs and numbers that everyone is throwing out there, but can certainly feel the difference that these bring to the table.

First off, I've got 95k on my ride, and was running a stock setup, which was cushy, but definitely had some roll in it, and my goal was to stiffen the ride up a bit, but also to get a nice ride out of it as well. Again, this is totally from a layman's perspective. Harold recommended that he dial in the shocks to 1.75 from Stiff on the front and 1.5 rear... First thing I noticed was, wow, the cabin noise nearly disappeared from standard driving (an added bonus that I didn't realize I would achieve, and those of you with Bluetooth in these models, know just how AWFUL it is stock....sounds like you're running 120 mph with the windows down, which you're really going 25 in a school zone on a perfectly paved road).

I got my first taste of these running around the roads of Buellton, Solvang, Santa Maria, Los Olivos, and Lompoc...for those of you that don't know where this is, it's the Santa Barbara Wine country, and little to no attention has been paid to these roads in the last 40 years. Normally a loud and bumpy ride turned into a much easier to stomach drive, and the wheels STUCK to the turns! This on the soft setup.

I started to get a bit bolder when the wife wasn't looking, and started to stiffen up the front a bit, and man, NOW you can really feel the difference. Before I would turn of DSC and leave it on DCT so not to completely have traction control turned off, but makes it a bit more fun. Still the damned light would seem to blink and the engine power be cutoff on just about every stinkin turn I made (an I'm running Michelin 18" PSS staggered setup)....This thing holds SO MUCH better now, and instead of having to gingerly enter and moderately exit turns, you can be much more spirited and lay it down! The power that you can apply to the car is so much greater than stock, it's absolutely amazing...Even on a straight line acceleration, it just holds so much better, and squirreliness is gone!

I've now got the fronts dialed in to .75 from stiff, and for me, that seems to be a great place to be, as they are still cushy enough that the lady doesn't know the different, but sporty enough where I know I can give 'er some ooomph!

I did get the adjust mount front and rears, and they work GREAT on the fronts, however, I can't seem to confidently take out the entire trunk liner without damaging something to get to the rear mounts to adjust them. Thinking about taking it to my local shop, Midnight Oil to have Chad and the crew do that for me, but then I have to test out the stiffness before settling on a level of stiffness...I don't know how I'm going to go about doing this, except to watch how they take out the trunk liner and try to replicate it myself...I did see a post somewhere of somebody creating an extension that goes into the trunk, and I'm a bit of a MacGuyver / Jerry-rigger, but it'll still pose a problem, but I invite the challenge. Looking back, I don't know if there rear adjustables are really needed, but time will tell.

Bottom line, Harold and his team know where they're doing, and just driving into their lot and seeing the Series 1 M along, 335i racecar, and Z4 carbon fiber beast lets you know that these guys are serious, and know what they're doing. I drove up from San Diego to Santa Barbara, 250 miles, to have them work on it, while I could have done it down here, but want the full experience. I know that IF I want to put the Quaife LSD in this thing, that I'll be making the trip one more time...but I think it may be some time before I master this setup, and get the mod bug biting me again.

Thanks again Harold and Mike, nice work, and I'm enjoying every turn out there!
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #59
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Swift FTW love this combo
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #60
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by richragus View Post
I just had Harold and Turbo Mike at HP Autowerks install the Koni Yellows and Swift Spec-R Springs on my '08 E90 335i Sport, Dinan Stage 2, M3 Control Arms, and WOW, these things absolutely rock! This is my daily driver, and I like to tear it up every so often as well in our local spots. I have to admit that I'm not really dialed in to the specs and numbers that everyone is throwing out there, but can certainly feel the difference that these bring to the table.

First off, I've got 95k on my ride, and was running a stock setup, which was cushy, but definitely had some roll in it, and my goal was to stiffen the ride up a bit, but also to get a nice ride out of it as well. Again, this is totally from a layman's perspective. Harold recommended that he dial in the shocks to 1.75 from Stiff on the front and 1.5 rear... First thing I noticed was, wow, the cabin noise nearly disappeared from standard driving (an added bonus that I didn't realize I would achieve, and those of you with Bluetooth in these models, know just how AWFUL it is stock....sounds like you're running 120 mph with the windows down, which you're really going 25 in a school zone on a perfectly paved road).

I got my first taste of these running around the roads of Buellton, Solvang, Santa Maria, Los Olivos, and Lompoc...for those of you that don't know where this is, it's the Santa Barbara Wine country, and little to no attention has been paid to these roads in the last 40 years. Normally a loud and bumpy ride turned into a much easier to stomach drive, and the wheels STUCK to the turns! This on the soft setup.

I started to get a bit bolder when the wife wasn't looking, and started to stiffen up the front a bit, and man, NOW you can really feel the difference. Before I would turn of DSC and leave it on DCT so not to completely have traction control turned off, but makes it a bit more fun. Still the damned light would seem to blink and the engine power be cutoff on just about every stinkin turn I made (an I'm running Michelin 18" PSS staggered setup)....This thing holds SO MUCH better now, and instead of having to gingerly enter and moderately exit turns, you can be much more spirited and lay it down! The power that you can apply to the car is so much greater than stock, it's absolutely amazing...Even on a straight line acceleration, it just holds so much better, and squirreliness is gone!

I've now got the fronts dialed in to .75 from stiff, and for me, that seems to be a great place to be, as they are still cushy enough that the lady doesn't know the different, but sporty enough where I know I can give 'er some ooomph!

I did get the adjust mount front and rears, and they work GREAT on the fronts, however, I can't seem to confidently take out the entire trunk liner without damaging something to get to the rear mounts to adjust them. Thinking about taking it to my local shop, Midnight Oil to have Chad and the crew do that for me, but then I have to test out the stiffness before settling on a level of stiffness...I don't know how I'm going to go about doing this, except to watch how they take out the trunk liner and try to replicate it myself...I did see a post somewhere of somebody creating an extension that goes into the trunk, and I'm a bit of a MacGuyver / Jerry-rigger, but it'll still pose a problem, but I invite the challenge. Looking back, I don't know if there rear adjustables are really needed, but time will tell.

Bottom line, Harold and his team know where they're doing, and just driving into their lot and seeing the Series 1 M along, 335i racecar, and Z4 carbon fiber beast lets you know that these guys are serious, and know what they're doing. I drove up from San Diego to Santa Barbara, 250 miles, to have them work on it, while I could have done it down here, but want the full experience. I know that IF I want to put the Quaife LSD in this thing, that I'll be making the trip one more time...but I think it may be some time before I master this setup, and get the mod bug biting me again.

Thanks again Harold and Mike, nice work, and I'm enjoying every turn out there!
Great write up man!

I have been speaking with Harold and Mike allot since the fall looking at what to do with my dd which has 126k on original sport suspension. I am down to three options. This Koni/Swift setup, the TCKline SA kit with Dinan Camber plates or the Ohlins which just went on sale!!!!
      02-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #61
baggett67
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I E90

Cross reference to my review. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post15425239
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #62
richragus
Rep

On further review, I will be switching out the swift springs...the car is so slammed, that people can't sit in the backseat, at the tires are running ON THE TOP OF THE WHEEL WELL!!! Yes, rubbing on the top....

Don't put these on, it's not worth having to switch them out, unless, you want a track only car
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #63
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
On further review, I will be switching out the swift springs...the car is so slammed, that people can't sit in the backseat, at the tires are running ON THE TOP OF THE WHEEL WELL!!! Yes, rubbing on the top....

Don't put these on, it's not worth having to switch them out, unless, you want a track only car
Did you reinstall your bumpstops? The oem shocks are weak and probably don't dampen the compression stroke.
      03-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #64
AGO 530
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SG '24 M3CX

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a
Quote:

Did you reinstall your bumpstops? The oem shocks are weak and probably don't dampen the compression stroke.
I believe he is running the Koni Yellows.
I hope you find a problem, I'm about to install the same Koni / Swift setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #65
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGO 530 View Post
I believe he is running the Koni Yellows.
I hope you find a problem, I'm about to install the same Koni / Swift setup.
Oops I confused him with another guy who is running the swift springs with oem dampers
      03-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #66
richragus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Yes, new bumpstops that were included with the whole setup package.

So I was supposed to get my new Dinan Springs installed today, and more bad news...the car was riding so friggin low, that the bumpstops that are 3 months old are all cracked, and the struts are destroyed as well....

This thing was such a debacle. I should have known that when I originally installed the swift springs, and was told that the reason the rear was riding so low was because the two piece of luggage in the trunk were "weighing the car down", that I had a problem.

Folks, if you have a non-sport OEM suspension, and are looking to change us your springs, do yourself a favor and DO NOT goo with Swift. I can't speak for sport OEM suspension, but this has been a disaster!!! I'm taking pictures either on Thursday or Friday when I pick my car back up again, and will show the damage that's been done. This bone-headed move to the Swift Springs, is going to end up costing me at least an additional $600 for the parts, (re)installation, and alignment.

Don't go on the cheap and go with Swift, you'll regret it, especially since there are so many other proven options on the market.
Appreciate 0