E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 HPFP recall issues get national news coverage

10-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #89
jfawns76
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
the car will not stall.....did you run out of gas?
Nope about 3/4 of a tank...just started jerking & puttering for a few seconds! I was in traffic, only about 20mph, and the engine completely shut off once I got slowed on the side of the road. I could not maintain speed whatsoever, complete loss of power.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #90
dragazn
Major
Rep
Drives: i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.76]
Quote:
how do you guys almost get hit? My car has done the "slug along mode" and its really not like "ohh $h!t im gunna die ahhhh", it cuts power above 4000 rpms not a big deal...if you cant move over to the right lane DONT DRIVE !

What you are refering to is the LIMP mode. LIMP mode is only a symptom before your fuel pump die out. We are talking about our car die(the whole endgine just shutoff when you are driving in the middle of the highway.). Ever try to drive with the motor not being on?????
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #91
jfawns76
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Yes my loss of power was certainly not limp mode. That kicked in a few days later, before I got the 933 installed, very big difference!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #92
Bavarian E92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335 Montego

N54 - N55 engine with the problematic HPFP

2006– E90 Sedan 335i
2006– E91 Touring 335i
2006– E92 Coupé 335i
2007– E93 Convertible 335i
2008– E60 Sedan 535i
2008– E61 Touring 535i
2008– E82 Coupé 135i
2008– E88 Convertible 135i
2009– F01 Sedan 740i
2009– BMW X6 xDrive35i
2010– BMW Z4 sDrive35i
2011– E92 Coupé 335is
2011– E93 Convertible 335is
2012– Morgan Eva GT
      10-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #93
dragazn
Major
Rep
Drives: i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfawns76 View Post
Yes my loss of power was certainly not limp mode. That kicked in a few days later, before I got the 933 installed, very big difference!
my apologies, its not LIMP then, its power loss. I was refering to engine shutoff
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #94
rag133
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Montego Blue 335i XDrive

What does one have to do with the other??? Why would i feel unsafe with a Dinan tune when the car actually DRIVES??? Who says I have to drive 100 MPH with her in the car???

Yeah I feel unsafe when the car limps and doesn't drive!!

Thanks for your input though, although it really makes zero sense.

Quote:
Bro you have a dinan tune and you feel unsafe when the car limps out?

Can't feel to unsafe with the tune and having your daughter in the car...

Dinan Stage II Installed
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #95
Move.Over
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 335i

While watching ABC news I noticed their teaser for tomorrow's HPFP investigation. Basically luxury car stops in the middle of the road, dangerous for all involved. Watch Good Morning for more. No mention of brand yet etc.

In mine case hard start in parking lot and reduced power. Lousy Elantra as loaner. Still blame 10% ethanol and the farm lobby and not BMW. Just give me the option of 100% gas. Wonder if ABC will look at the ethanol angle.
      10-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #96
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

So how common is it for someone to get FULL power loss, meaning the engine shuts off? I had never heard of that until this thread--only the common limp mode, which is completely driveable. In fact, the limp mode w/bolt ons is just as fast around a racetrack as a stock S2k, Nissan Maxima, Pontiac G6, and Subaru imprezza, haha don't ask me how I know.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #97
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
how do you guys almost get hit? My car has done the "slug along mode" and its really not like "ohh $h!t im gunna die ahhhh", it cuts power above 4000 rpms not a big deal...if you cant move over to the right lane DONT DRIVE !
Read the responses a little more carefully. The power cuts out COMPLETELY. My car does not shut off. The idle bounces up and down around 1000 rpm on its own. The gas pedal is useless, nothing happens when you press it. The car is still idling up and down but not doing anything. Yes there is gas in the tank.
It usually happens under hard acceleration(like in the fast lane when passing someone and with other cars behind you going as fast)
Want a similar experience, when driving have someone throw the car into neutral while you are attrmepting a high speed pass. But they cant tell you when they are going to do it and you cant put it in gear until you reach the shoulder. Coast alomng the highway and see the cars fly by. Bonus points if you do it during rush hour on a highway with 5 or more lanes and you are in the far left.

And it is common enough that i had it happen 6 times, I have not gotten the other type of limp mode wiuth "reduced" power. and one more time, the engine did not shut off itr dropped to idle and loss of gas pedal function

Last edited by Quisp; 10-25-2010 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 10:42 PM   #98
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
So how common is it for someone to get FULL power loss, meaning the engine shuts off? I had never heard of that until this thread--only the common limp mode, which is completely driveable. In fact, the limp mode w/bolt ons is just as fast around a racetrack as a stock S2k, Nissan Maxima, Pontiac G6, and Subaru imprezza, haha don't ask me how I know.
Well, if it hasnt happened to you or you havent heard of it then what? It doesnt happen?
Why are there so many people who just go around questioning things that happen to others as if those people made it up. And why do they question it, because it has not happened to them or they never heard of it before. That is called a learning experience.
If it hasnt happened to you be thankful, be happy,be liberated, but dont be an ass and tell the people that are having the problem they dont know what they are talking about. The reality is if you dont have the problem nor have you experienced it, then there is a good chance you are the one who doesnt know what you are talking about.
This gets old.
      10-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #99
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
Well, if it hasnt happened to you or you havent heard of it then what? It doesnt happen?
Why are there so many people who just go around questioning things that happen to others as if those people made it up. And why do they question it, because it has not happened to them or they never heard of it before. That is called a learning experience.
If it hasnt happened to you be thankful, be happy,be liberated, but dont be an ass and tell the people that are having the problem they dont know what they are talking about. The reality is if you dont have the problem nor have you experienced it, then there is a good chance you are the one who doesnt know what you are talking about.
This gets old.

Settle down dude, jeez. It was a clear question asking how common it is, nobody ever said it doesn't exist or you're making it up.

And there has to be some indication of the fuel pump close to going out, no? Or does it start perfectly, idles perfectly, has no codes, etc...and just cuts outs? If it did show signs of it going out (which I have a hard time believing it wouldn't), and you've been had this dangerous experience 6 times, wouldn't you bring it in at the first sign to avoid it going out on the road?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #100
imperium2000
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 Coupe

As Brian said, chill out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
I don't know, someone asked: how common is it for someone to get FULL power loss, meaning the engine shuts off?
Do you know?

No one is learning a thing from you. You are making a claim. No one has a reason to take any of your claims at face value.
You seem to be claiming something that no one else ever has. Are you sure you yourself aren't jumping to conclusions?
Are you sure it is the HPFP and not some other issue with your car? Has your dealer told you the issue with the car yet?
Quote:
If it hasnt happened to you be thankful, be happy,be liberated, but dont be an ass and tell the people that are having the problem they dont know what they are talking about.
The reality is if you dont have the problem nor have you experienced it, then there is a good chance you are the one who doesnt know what you are talking about.
What complete garbage. Just because you get cancer, does not magically mean you know a thing about it.

Now do can you actually answer the question or do you not know the answer?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:00 AM   #101
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
In my opinion, I think many people are taking the severity of the HPFP problems a little far. Is it REALLY that much of an inconveniece to drop off your car for a day once a year? True, it use tl take weeks for te dealership to try to fix It, but they are a lot better now. ..simply throw a new one on And send you on your way. I Just don't think its worth getting so worked up over...as many on this thread are.
Also, I can't picture how a faulty fuel pump is going to cause a major accident or crash. That Is taking it way too far. If a driver cannot manage to move over 2 lanes in traffic before the car comes to a stop without crashing, they probably should Not be driving in the first place IMHO.

Just my. 02
My biggest problem is fear of getting stranded...... I drive to very remote places a couple times a year, the most remote being death valley...... As it is I carry a spare pump and tools in my car.... THERE IS NO DEALER IN DEATH VALLEY !!!! And what pisses me off the most, is on the couple of pumps I have changed myself, BMW is refusing to warranty the part because they didn't change it..... To me, that is absolute BS..... I love the car, but I will never buy another BMW due to them treating me like that, as well as the handling of the hpfp issue overall...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #102
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
anybody watching? i've got my dvr recording both good morning america and night line, just wondering how the show's going?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #103
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

I looked the abc website I found the title but no video...what time does it come on tonight?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #104
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

It was on at 7:18 AM EDT this morning on Good Morning America. About what I expected. Mention of it failing and rapidly slowing which terrified the panel of owners. They interviewed a lead engineer with BMWNA and while they sympathize with owners, they stated that the vehicle is save to drive even when in Limp Mode.

Of note though, they said BMW was going to make a major annoucement today regarding this matter. There will be a follow up report tonight on Nightline.

Even though they stated it affected vehicles using the N54 engine, they showed a picture of the N55.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #105
hangover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
It was on at 7:18 AM EDT this morning on Good Morning America. About what I expected. Mention of it failing and rapidly slowing which terrified the panel of owners. They interviewed a lead engineer with BMWNA and while they sympathize with owners, they stated that the vehicle is save to drive even when in Limp Mode.

Of note though, they said BMW was going to make a major annoucement today regarding this matter. There will be a follow up report tonight on Nightline.

Even though they stated it affected vehicles using the N54 engine, they showed a picture of the N55.
Major announcement? Speculate!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #106
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
Major announcement? Speculate!
Probably that they extended the warranty on the HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #107
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:

And there has to be some indication of the fuel pump close to going out, no? Or does it start perfectly, idles perfectly, has no codes, etc...and just cuts outs? If it did show signs of it going out (which I have a hard time believing it wouldn't), and you've been had this dangerous experience 6 times, wouldn't you bring it in at the first sign to avoid it going out on the road?
I can confirm the complete cutout situation. When my fuel pump died, there were no symptoms that showed the upcoming failure. No long cranks, no rough idle, no limp mode! Nothing!

The car lost power and engine died all of a sudden! All I was able to do is push the clutch in and let the car roll to a stop on the side of the street! I was lucky I was in a quiet slow street instead of on a highway when this happened.

THAT is absolutely dangerous if it happens to you on the left lane of a busy highway!
      10-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #108
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
THAT is absolutely dangerous if it happens to you on the left lane of a busy highway!
Duh, just stay in the right lane then.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #109
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Probably that they extended the warranty on the HPFP.
exactly....that would be a "major announcement" to someone who doesn't own one and received that nice letter in the mail last year.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #110
scalbert
Major General
Rep

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/bmw-adm...ry?id=11968495
Appreciate 0