E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Took my 335i to Rockville tonight, had every other "fast" car trying to race me.

08-18-2007, 01:55 AM   #1
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Took my 335i to Rockville tonight, had every other "fast" car trying to race me.

Tonight I went to Rockville, MD with my recently redelivered car (Euro-plates still on). Damn, a small crowd seemed to gather around the car at Montrose Crossing. Someone left palm and fingure prints all over my windows. I know its not a Ferrari so I was kind of surprised. I left as soon as I was done with what I was there for.

So I hit the road and cruise towards 495. This guy in a WRX STI notices me, and literally shot like a bullet three lanes across traffic and tucked right behind me. Then he pulls up parallel, revs at me and proceeds to really get on it. Really dangerously weaving in traffic. I didn't respond. He went through the red light then slowed and waited for me. As soon as I got to 495 he follows me onto the highway, revs at me again, and again, I don't bite. So I guess he decides to show me what the STI can do. The thing was obviously modded, it threw a few puffs of flames from the exhaust as he almost comically accelerated violently out.

About a mile or so down the road someone in a lowered chevy sliverado SS truck speeds across traffic, lines up parallel with me, then just gets on it, and pulls away, suddenly slows realizing I gave no response. He had exhaust, and dark tint. He lowers his window and attempts a stare down, but I look straight ahead and pretend not to notice. My adrenaline was going wanting to piss on his truck, but didn't want to get drawn in, so I just looked straight ahead and did not acknowledge his honks. So he cuts me off, sure to get my attention and goes onto my left and revs his truck into two short busts, we go 3 exits and I again don't bite, so he takes the U-turn exit guess he wasn't even going my way, but just followed me for a "fight".

Could not believe my luck when a guy with a civic with an exhaust large enough for me to craw through races up to me, with some GM car (I think it was a Chevy or Pontiac) hot on his tail, then a Hyundai Sonata joins the party. They all start going for it, and that point I was WTF? They slow then start a honking match, flashing their lights and scare the other drivers off 2 lanes. Come on people; Even Civics and Hyundai Sonatas? Man I though someone was going to call 911 and report the dangerous behavior if they hadn't done so already. They just took off again, and I was the only car left cruising, so they gave up and drove off, but you know I was itching to on them and show them my best view Are you guys getting this reaction on the road?
      08-18-2007, 03:24 AM   #2
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

damn that's awesome...

it sounds like some dumb-ass kids looking for 'trouble'

these pups(mutts?) would definitely have barked up the wrong tree if they had met a driver less patient than you
      08-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

Nice show of restraint in not engaging in those senseless street races. I get all types of cars revving on me when I'm in my S2000 (SUVs included) and I always just ignore them. I thought I'd get a lot less attention from those types when I get my 335i, but your story makes it sound like that might not be the case.
      08-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Cool 335i seems to draw a lot of wanna be racers to you.

Yeah Friday night, Saturday evening a lot of young guys with their toys out. Prime time to see what it can do vs another car I guess. I was very tempted to mash the go-pedal especially at the truck. He was all sound and no juice honestly. Completely tinted out, so he lowered the window to stare down. Oh well. The STI with its road tunnel of an exhaust was literally burping out flames from the back, and I have no idea what he had on it, but sounded fierce, and seemed to dart through traffic like a sling shot. Maybe he could have destroyed the 335 and gone on some forum to brag about it. Thats not what I bought my car for, so no-go here. Not to mention getting nailed by the cops for street racing wouldn't be worth it. Worse, the moron causes an accident and you were racing him so you are guilty too. No thanks.
      08-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
modster
aka Alex
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

The STI probably deleted his cats that is why you saw sparks or flames at his exhaust.
      08-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
arcrox
E90post addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 G20 M340i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Good on you for ignoring those douches and letting them waste their gas.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 02:13 AM   #7
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
It seems like everyone is into this little street racing stupid dumb and hyphy scene... And honestly most of them have slow cars. I don't street race at all, but see and hear a lot of stuff going on. Funny to see "fast" cars like chipped Evos and bolt-on Corvettes thinking they're the hottest doo-doo on the highway. Until they get spanked by some street driven 10 second 5.0 or f-body.
      08-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #8
RED FURY
Fast Red Cars and Blonde Women are my Passions !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: CR 335i Sport and Mod MINI S

Garage List
Nice restraint ... CLASS ACT !!!
      08-23-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
zpswin88
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Haha.. to u buddy honestly u don't know that area.. u've probably been misidentify by someone obviously... what color of 335i u got bro ?? and u got any tints.???

BMW 335i Space Grey loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Z06,'13 750Li,'11 Raptor

The first day I got my car I was cruising along a local highway and a Dodge SRT-10 truck come flying along my left side and tries to get my attention. Being the first day in my car I wanted to race him...but the smart side of me said no. Well I guess he got angry and cut me off...then at the next intersection (red light) he proceded to do a nice burnout for me. The whole time I was thinking...those can't be cheap tires...
      08-25-2007, 06:04 AM   #11
lee71
Rep
Drives: Black Metallic 335i sedan

Wise decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
Tonight I went to Rockville, MD with my recently redelivered car (Euro-plates still on). Damn, a small crowd seemed to gather around the car at Montrose Crossing. Someone left palm and fingure prints all over my windows. I know its not a Ferrari so I was kind of surprised. I left as soon as I was done with what I was there for.

So I hit the road and cruise towards 495. This guy in a WRX STI notices me, and literally shot like a bullet three lanes across traffic and tucked right behind me. Then he pulls up parallel, revs at me and proceeds to really get on it. Really dangerously weaving in traffic. I didn't respond. He went through the red light then slowed and waited for me. As soon as I got to 495 he follows me onto the highway, revs at me again, and again, I don't bite. So I guess he decides to show me what the STI can do. The thing was obviously modded, it threw a few puffs of flames from the exhaust as he almost comically accelerated violently out.

About a mile or so down the road someone in a lowered chevy sliverado SS truck speeds across traffic, lines up parallel with me, then just gets on it, and pulls away, suddenly slows realizing I gave no response. He had exhaust, and dark tint. He lowers his window and attempts a stare down, but I look straight ahead and pretend not to notice. My adrenaline was going wanting to piss on his truck, but didn't want to get drawn in, so I just looked straight ahead and did not acknowledge his honks. So he cuts me off, sure to get my attention and goes onto my left and revs his truck into two short busts, we go 3 exits and I again don't bite, so he takes the U-turn exit guess he wasn't even going my way, but just followed me for a "fight".

Could not believe my luck when a guy with a civic with an exhaust large enough for me to craw through races up to me, with some GM car (I think it was a Chevy or Pontiac) hot on his tail, then a Hyundai Sonata joins the party. They all start going for it, and that point I was WTF? They slow then start a honking match, flashing their lights and scare the other drivers off 2 lanes. Come on people; Even Civics and Hyundai Sonatas? Man I though someone was going to call 911 and report the dangerous behavior if they hadn't done so already. They just took off again, and I was the only car left cruising, so they gave up and drove off, but you know I was itching to on them and show them my best view Are you guys getting this reaction on the road?

Your a wise man for not getting involved in that bullshit...it's not worth it. I got a ticket going 90 in a 55 on 495 back in June...I'm going through hell right now...I could end up either losing or having a restricted license, lawyer fees $900, 2 driver safety courses ($150), community service...I go before the judge on September 4th...I'm so pissed at myself and Virginia's draconian laws regarding speeding. No alcohol involved, no traffic on the road, just me and a undercover stealth police cruiser. Capital Raceway in Crofton let's you do 1/4 mile runs on Friday nights...that's what I'm going to start doing...have fun.

Lee
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
MnK6
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 엠쓰리

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thats MD for you. I drive on 270 everyday going to and from work, I have 4Runners, Corollas, Camrys, Civics, CRVs, Altimas etc etc driving crazy, tailgating me all the time. I m just used to it now. At least it was modded WRX STI that was trying to race you, better than 4cylinder Camrys and Rav4s which i encounter every single day anytime of the day. MD driving is so much fun and exciting!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #13
BMWDavid
United_States
Rep
Drives: MSport F30

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [0.00]
2005(sold but not f ...  [10.00]
2006 X3  [0.00]
1984 633csi  [0.00]
If you were headed eastbound toward Fedex Field, the twisties by the mormon temple are easy to lose everyone one even at 70 mph. There's too much traffic in that area anyway. If it's late enough with no traffic (3AM)and I'm going home from Bethesda if someone wants race, I do it throught that curvy section. As soon the highway straightens out I slow down and eventually they catch up. At that point they usually want to keep at it but I'm done. I had fun without even breaking triple digits.

A lot of people gather in the Timpano's parking lot Friday nights. I would never take my M3 over there for the same reason you are describing. Negative attention. Summit Point/ Capitol Raceway are too close anyway.

Last edited by BMWDavid; 08-25-2007 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #14
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Maybe install a gunrack and put a missile launcher in it...
One would hope that the jerks get reported and the Police act on them.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 11:38 PM   #15
mitnyc73
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan step/sport

i get the same driving in nyc I have annoying Nissan Maximas and Civics tailing my ass just waiting for me to take off like a bat out of hell ...... that was during the break in period, now im at 1600miles, it's time to manifest the 335's fury......
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #16
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Your behaviour is the perfect example of a responsible gentleman driving such a car. Congrats and cudos.

Anyway:

*** Absolutely no street racing topics tolerated here ***

Or what?

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #17
Seanross
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee71 View Post
Your a wise man for not getting involved in that bullshit...it's not worth it. I got a ticket going 90 in a 55 on 495 back in June...I'm going through hell right now...I could end up either losing or having a restricted license, lawyer fees $900, 2 driver safety courses ($150), community service...I go before the judge on September 4th...I'm so pissed at myself and Virginia's draconian laws regarding speeding. No alcohol involved, no traffic on the road, just me and a undercover stealth police cruiser. Capital Raceway in Crofton let's you do 1/4 mile runs on Friday nights...that's what I'm going to start doing...have fun.

Lee
Ouch.. i know exactly what thats like... I got caught doin 101 plus other stuff through the harbor tunnel goin to Baltimore. Officer only put down the speed on the ticket since I was so "compliant". Ticket was $525 and they were suppose to take my license away... luckily the officer didn't show up so they tossed it out. I've since calmed it down, cept the few times Ive gone 130-140 on US-50.

and OP that was some real restraint you showed, becuase I know I surely woulda lost my mind and floored it
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #18
bboy8282
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

much props to u for not taking the bite and racing them...sometimes i wish i had the rear fog light enabled so when dumbass get on my ass i just hit the fog light and make them think im braking
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #19
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcrox View Post
Good on you for ignoring those douches and letting them waste their gas.
Well not being an environmentalist I say wasting gas is a good thing. However, I agree - good choice to ignore them. I saw a bumper sticker on a Prius once that read "I am proud of my carbon footprint"... I thought, I need that bumper sticker. Go Go 17mpg spirited driving! I'm certainly proud of how LARGE my footprint is on the forehead of my Prius opponents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED FURY View Post
Nice restraint ... CLASS ACT !!!
Again, agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnK6 View Post
Thats MD for you. I drive on 270 everyday going to and from work, I have 4Runners, Corollas, Camrys, Civics, CRVs, Altimas etc etc driving crazy, tailgating me all the time. I m just used to it now. At least it was modded WRX STI that was trying to race you, better than 4cylinder Camrys and Rav4s which i encounter every single day anytime of the day. MD driving is so much fun and exciting!
I lived in central MD for a while and found that on occasion someone would pull up next to me and dart off the line at a stop light, but never did I have someone honk at me or really try to get me to race. I haven't driven up and down 270 since the hayday of my e36 m3... but even then I didn't have it happen. I must not attract those sorts of people .

Story:

I was cruising home one day in the left lane with 'generous throttle input' and had someone speed by me and cut me off in a rather... unaggressive way then proceed to brake lightly without cause. This person was surely trying to slow me down. A mercury 2 door with dark tint... I hit the voice instruction button on the steering wheel and instructed the vehicle to overtake this thing braking in front of me. In a flash he was behind me. Some people... btw, the correct command is 'Idiot ahead, overtake', and of course the N54 will immediately react.

MD is more or less a decent place to drive, except for the occasional idiot.

It takes maturity to avoid racing on these roads. I cruise at my desired speed. If someone tries to make it into a race I slow down and ignore. I'm commuting, not racing.

Technically you cannot have any street racing topics on this forum.

Last edited by bmw0perat0r; 09-12-2010 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #20
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Can't say this has happened to me and I pass through Rockville all the time. I do get the occasional stock corolla/prius that will tail me when I am going pretty fast.

But overall, the riced up ecnoboxes seem to know better and they race amongst themselves. I do see WRXs, EVOs, and STis often, but they drive normal like me.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #21
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post

pure class from you, and you're being safe and sensbile...at the end of the day no ticket and no damage

other ppl are idiots, you showed class while they were being pussies.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #22
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E92 6 MT

Ya last week coming home from work I did in a Data Center driving from Wsconsin to Chicago some dumb ass in a Hyundai Genesis, pissed me off, I put it in 3rd gear cursing on the highway and 4 seconds later I saw a small dot in the mirror. But I get that crap all the time especially with rice burners but don't even waste my time. U want to race lets go to the track pussies....... oh but I forgot that's your mamas car ...... oh well.

.../// TURBO! Why in the world would you choose anything else?... ///
Appreciate 0