E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Coffee spill under armrest

09-10-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
web1b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Coffee spill under armrest

I got an iced coffee drink that was in a cup too large to fit in the cupholder, so I tried to set it under the armrest and it started to spill and I think a few drops dripped into the power port because the cap wasn't on. A phone charger was plugged in and that isn't water tight.

I haven't used the power port since. How can I clean it out to make sure nothing shorts out the next time I try to use it?

I'm thinking of wiping alcohol swabs in the power port while the car is powered off.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
HighVoltage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by web1b View Post
I got an iced coffee drink that was in a cup too large to fit in the cupholder, so I tried to set it under the armrest and it started to spill and I think a few drops dripped into the power port because the cap wasn't on. A phone charger was plugged in and that isn't water tight.

I haven't used the power port since. How can I clean it out to make sure nothing shorts out the next time I try to use it?

I'm thinking of wiping alcohol swabs in the power port while the car is powered off.
A 98% (or better) isopropyl solution should be sufficient to clean any electrical connections. I would remove the fuse to the power port before cleaning it. If it has already shorted out the fuse will be blown so be sure to check the fuse when you remove it and replace if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Mech_Man
I'm feeling much better now, Dave
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (MontegoBlue/Bk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
A 98% (or better) isopropyl solution should be sufficient to clean any electrical connections. I would remove the fuse to the power port before cleaning it. If it has already shorted out the fuse will be blown so be sure to check the fuse when you remove it and replace if necessary.
+1 on the above procedure. Wiping with isopropyl alcohol will drive off the water, and then evaporate in a few minutes.

+1000 on his appropriate name!!
Appreciate 0