E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPFP DIY questions

10-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

HPFP DIY questions

This is more about me being curious about the costs involved in a replacement and trying to figure out why this all has to be done by a dealer. I'm not actually having problems; I'm just weighing the pros/cons of continuing with this platform vs moving on to like an LS3 C6.

I did a bit of searching on the part number, and arrived here:
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9...3*51*7*592*881

From what this fiche says, the pump is only $325.

Now I've heard horror stories about people paying $2-3k to have one of these replaced. It looks like the actual labor is easy enough, nothing super complicated.

So what am I missing? Why do so many people moan about this fuel pump, so many people on the outside looking in criticize the platform and the rampant fear of having to pay for it out of pocket when a DIYer can get this done for so cheap?
      10-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
This is more about me being curious about the costs involved in a replacement and trying to figure out why this all has to be done by a dealer. I'm not actually having problems; I'm just weighing the pros/cons of continuing with this platform vs moving on to like an LS3 C6.

I did a bit of searching on the part number, and arrived here:
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9...3*51*7*592*881

From what this fiche says, the pump is only $325.

Now I've heard horror stories about people paying $2-3k to have one of these replaced. It looks like the actual labor is easy enough, nothing super complicated.

So what am I missing? Why do so many people moan about this fuel pump, so many people on the outside looking in criticize the platform and the rampant fear of having to pay for it out of pocket when a DIYer can get this done for so cheap?

1.) This is covered till 120k miles

2.) The new pump seems to have solved all the issues.

3.) The HPFP shouldn't be your determining factor on what platform to go with, there are many bigger limiting factors.

4.) If you did change the hpfp on your own it's not a terribly hard job if youre somewhat mechanically handy, probably a 3 hour job your first time around.

Last edited by pits200; 10-07-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Sered
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
1.) This is covered till 120k miles
This isn't confirmed. Modded cars might void that.

Quote:
2.) The new pump seems to have solved all the issues.
Not true as people have reported fuel pump problems even with the new one (though not as many); it didn't solve all the issues.

Quote:
3.) The HPFP shouldn't be your determining factor on what platform to go with, there are many bigger limiting factors.
A $2k-3k repair on a part that can go out at any time and has no aftermarket replacement options? Yeah, it should definitely be a determining factor on platform. Most other platforms don't pay that much money for transmissions.

Quote:
4.) If you did change the hpfp on your own it's not a terribly hard job if your somewhat mechanically handy, probably a 3 hour job your first time around.
That's not the vibe that I've ever gotten, even though researching the procedure and the parts cost tells me that is true.
      10-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Not true as people have reported fuel pump problems even with the new one (though not as many); it didn't solve all the issues.

A $2k-3k repair on a part that can go out at any time and has no aftermarket replacement options? Yeah, it should definitely be a determining factor on platform. Most other platforms don't pay that much money for transmissions.

That's not the vibe that I've ever gotten, even though researching the procedure and the parts cost tells me that is true.
Ok, everything I said was wrong.

Don't ask a question if you don't like the answer.

If you want to mod a car and you think you can't repair the hpfp yourself than you shouldn't be modding cars, simple as that, especially a bmw where things will obviously be more expensive. If someone paid $2-3K for an hpfp repair then they have addtl issues to worry about like $3k brake/rotor replacement, $1000 transmission changes, $150 oil changes and so on.

Also, please show me where there have been prevalent problems with the new version pump. Are you sure it was the new pump that failed, no you aren't because as of now these new pumps have been holding up fine.

Once again I will state, if you are using the determining factor of the hpfp as the sole decision for choosing the n54 over the ls3 then you should probably stick with american muscle which is much easier to fix if you run into any issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 🚀

Garage List
Quote:
ummm yes it is confirmed for 07/08 MY Cars. When you make performance modifications to your car you take that risk.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009/05/23...anty-10yr120k/

Quote:
Yeah, but the forums aren't littered with HPFP fail threads like it used to be.

Quote:
No aftermarket options as of right now...

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
Sered
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ok, everything I said was wrong.
Yup, just about.

Quote:
Don't ask a question if you don't like the answer.
You gave a non-answer because you were wrong. Your 'answer' wasn't even to the question I was asking. I asked if 'I was missing something', you answered with a bunch of false or semi-false statements. So you wanna try again?

Quote:
If you want to mod a car and you think you can't repair the hpfp yourself than you shouldn't be modding cars, simple as that, especially a bmw where things will obviously be more expensive.
LOL.

Yeah ok there buddy, way to really reach. Never did I ever say I couldn't do the repair myself, it's just that the repair looked so simple and so many people complain that I thought I might be missing anything.

If I wasn't missing anything, then perhaps you could have just said: "No, you're not missing anything, people really just can't work on their own cars."

Quote:
Also, please show me where there have been prevalent problems with the new version pump. Are you sure it was the new pump that failed, no you aren't because as of now these new pumps have been holding up fine.
I've seen enough reports. There are 2012 335i with multiple blown fuel pumps. Remain willfully ignorant if you wish.

Quote:
Once again I will state, if you are using the determining factor of the hpfp as the sole decision for choosing the n54 over the ls3 then you should probably stick with american muscle which is much easier to fix if you run into any issues.
That's not what you stated. You said
Quote:
The HPFP shouldn't be your determining factor on what platform to go with, there are many bigger limiting factors.
Where I said, mulling the possibility that I AM just missing something and that the repair wasn't easy, that a $2k-3k repair that randomly strikes and has no alternatives is most definitely a limiting factor; it'd be a HUGE limiting factor.
      10-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Sered
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55 View Post
ummm yes it is confirmed for 07/08 MY Cars. When you make performance modifications to your car you take that risk.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009/05/23...anty-10yr120k/
So modded cars, BMWs choice for what that entails I assume, do not get a pump warranty. My point is confirmed, thanks.

Quote:
Yeah, but the forums aren't littered with HPFP fail threads like it used to be.
True, but they still happen and on newer cars with supposedly replaced pumps. Hardly fixing 'all' the problems eh?
      10-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup, just about.

You gave a non-answer because you were wrong. Your 'answer' wasn't even to the question I was asking. I asked if 'I was missing something', you answered with a bunch of false or semi-false statements. So you wanna try again?

LOL.

Yeah ok there buddy, way to really reach. Never did I ever say I couldn't do the repair myself, it's just that the repair looked so simple and so many people complain that I thought I might be missing anything.

If I wasn't missing anything, then perhaps you could have just said: "No, you're not missing anything, people really just can't work on their own cars."

If someone paid $2-3K for an hpfp repair then they have addtl issues to worry about like $3k brake/rotor replacement, $1000 transmission changes, $150 oil changes and so on.

I've seen enough reports. There are 2012 335i with multiple blown fuel pumps. Remain willfully ignorant if you wish.

That's not what you stated. You said Where I said, mulling the possibility that I AM just missing something and that the repair wasn't easy, that a $2k-3k repair that randomly strikes and has no alternatives is most definitely a limiting factor; it'd be a HUGE limiting factor.
Not sure why you're so defensive, you're bringing up a topic that has been covered so many times, you're lucky to even be getting any responses to such a riveting thread you've created.

Ask yourself, why do you think no one is diving into hpfp threads anymore and instead is worried more on how to upgrade the lpfp.

I'm not even sure what the answer was you were looking for in regard to your "question".

What is there that you could possibly be missing? If you read this forum, its obvious the hpfp is not a limiting factor being that we have seen many 500-700 hp n54s.

But hey, what do I know, you obviously know better to the question you already asked.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So modded cars, BMWs choice for what that entails I assume, do not get a pump warranty. My point is confirmed, thanks.

True, but they still happen and on newer cars with supposedly replaced pumps. Hardly fixing 'all' the problems eh?

So revert it back to stock and take it in. Roll the dice.....

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure why you're so defensive, you're bringing up a topic that has been covered so many times, you're lucky to even be getting any responses to such a riveting thread you've created.

Ask yourself, why do you think no one is diving into hpfp threads anymore and instead is worried more on how to upgrade the lpfp.

I'm not even sure what the answer was you were looking for in regard to your "question".

What is there that you could possibly be missing? If you read this forum, its obvious the hpfp is not a limiting factor being that we have seen many 500-700 hp n54s.

But hey, what do I know, you obviously know better to the question you already asked.

+1 i'm done here.

Appreciate 0