E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Breakdown & maintenance

04-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
90MSP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330D M Sport

Garage List
Breakdown & maintenance

Have my wifes car covered and mine with the AA. We have breakdown and maintenance cover which means home start, relay, roadside assistance and up to £500 towards breakdown repairs for £450 per year.

Just coming up for renewal and wondered if anyone has any good or bad experiences / recommendations with this type of cover ?. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

Ive been looking at them recently after not being covered since 1992 which was with the RAC!
I think they're all pretty much the same really, plus all have good and bad reviews.
The only thing I would personally say is to not bother with the maintenance cover.
Id rather save the money and pay a bill IF it breaks down, otherwise you've pretty much paid for it even if it doesn't happen.

I'll probably get cover for myself and girlfriend then we are covered for my 330d, her Caddy van and Mini Clubman with recovery and home start.
That works out at £14 a month with the AA, I've not looked at the others yet in much detail
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
90MSP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330D M Sport

Garage List
Thanks, you're right, I think i'll drop the maintenance. Have only used it once in 4 years to replace the alternator on a e46 330ci I had. So weighing up the risk now I have a newer car and do less miles, makes sense to drop it. Green Flag appear to do a pretty good deal on rescue / hire car etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

I've always been with the AA and over the years used them a quite a few times. Most recently when the water pump failed on the car. The AA chap turned up within 30 minutes (longest I've had to wait for an AA patrol to turn up was 40 minutes), diagnosed the fault on the spot, and than towed me to a garage of my choice

I've never had 'home start', as long as you can get the car beyond 0.7 miles from the house your be fine. Their breakdown cover thing is OK, but it's rare to have a fault so bad your actually completely stranded at the side of the road.

We pay under £200 for both cars, excluding home start + breakdown cover thingy. Not the cheapest type of cover but by the nature of the service if need to use them you want the best
Appreciate 0