Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire advice needed... all seasons???

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-28-2005, 09:54 PM   #1
buddha4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i TiAg Sport

Tire advice needed... all seasons???

It's high time the ol' 330 get herself some new shoes... I've been procrastinating, and wouldn't you know, winter decided to arrive despite my laziness. Obviously, the stock 162's with summer tires won't do, but I'd like to avoid buying a dedicated set of winters if I can. It does snow here in Nebraska, but I live in Omaha where the streets are well-plowed, sanded, et cetera. Rarely will I have to deal with a LOT of snow, and I can always grab my wife's X3.

A high-performance all season tire sounds like the right choice for me... but I'm struggling to find options that:

1) Fit my 162's (i.e., they don't make a 255/35/18)
2) Come in run-flats (I could live without this...)

It looks like the Pirelli PZero M+S is a popular option (non-runflat), but are there options I'm missing? Could I use a more common size vs. the 255/35 and still keep the same stock 162 rim? I've searched the forums, but I haven't been able to come to any real conclusions.

Thoughts? Do I just buy the damn Pirelli's and get on with it? Spring for additional rims and get dedicated winters (least desirable, but if I must...)

buddha4
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
Casey 5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i,SPG,ZSP,ZPP,Step

The best option I found is to go with a true winter set up--the all season option just isn't there.

I went with a set of 18' Blizzak's from tirerack along with a set of radial 196 type rims from BMW Wheels.

I live in North Carolina and we do get snow--but mostly ice. The Blizzak's are the best ice tire you can buy. Unfortunately, they are not runflats. There are no 18' winter tires in run flat.

I too wish that the was a good 18' all season in a run flat--there just is not. As a result, the summer + winter set up is the best option IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
RyBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Isn't the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S supposed to come in run flats soon? I'm waiting for these.

Old: 08 E92 335i|Space Gray/Coral Red/Gray Poplar

Old: 06 E90 330i|Black Sapphire/Black /Burl
Appreciate 0