E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > clutch slipping?

07-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
packinDSS
Lead Foot
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

clutch slipping?

Have a used 335i for last 4 weeks now and got a proceed. When I enable the Proceed i think the clutch slips under full throttle. I full throttle going about 60mph and the rpms jump about 500-750rpm and then drop down and the car accelerates? I've never seen a clutch slip for 500 or so rpms and then grip and be fine. Anyone shed some light on what is causing this? It has been a while since I have felt a cutch slip so I am not sure if it is slipping in this case or something else is going on. I am think of shooting some video of the tach if need be.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
BoostedCosta
SUPERMAN
Rep
Drives: AW e90 335i M-Sport

yea shoot some vids asap
i dont understand how this is happening
i dont get how a clutch would slip the catch unless u let off the gas
btw. try going at a low speed in 6th gear a WOT see if it slips like that
      07-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
packinDSS
Lead Foot
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

Ah I figured it out. It was the DTC kicking in. I was turning off DTC by pressing the button and getting the DTC light on the dash.....but that only turned off DTC at low speeds. To completely turn off DTC you must press and hold the DTC button until you get the circle light on the dash. End of problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

You should make sure its not your clutch though, because as you described it that is what happens when you clutch slips. Easy test: on the hwy, put it in a high gear (4th or 5th), starting at low rpm, floor it, if you see your revs jump with no acceleration, then drop back down and then your car accelerates, your clutch is on the way out. This happened to me at ~21k miles. Problem is that it is hard to replicate without the Procede, but the dealer was still able to.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0