E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Single Turbo?

12-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
Mproved
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 4.6IS

Exclamation Single Turbo?

Any videos of single turbo 335's?? I am surprised there have not been more custom fab setups!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Lol i think you mean "hasn't been any" custom fab jobs. Vishnu and HPF have both been working on a single turbo for a while now. But it seems they both got to the point of getting the cars started and then silence...
AR supposedly had a single turbo kit up and running and apparantly just about ready to sell, but then decided to dump the project rather than offer to have someone bring a car in for final fitments.

Just use the "search" feature and gawk at all the failures.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [7.02]
Search!!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617280

Last edited by Slow_335i; 12-29-2011 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

These videos are in the same channel on YouTube as the documentary about Santa
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

It's mind blowing how some people can take the time to create a thread instead of using a search button.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I have read those other threads but could someone explain why they would rather have one larger turbo rather than the two smaller ones? Would that not introduce lag and a shorter power band? I understand you could likely get more overall peak power and torque but why not upgrade the 2 smaller turbos instead of going to one larger? Isn't that essentially what the n55 is anyway?

Never understood this (I am sure there is a good reason I just do not know it!)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
taylors335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 08 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
It's mind blowing how some people can take the time to create a thread instead of using a search button.
hahah +1 especially when there are 2 threads on single kits !!!!! WTF !!!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

The trend is towards more turbos, not less. The new M-diesel engines and M3 have 3 turbos. There is no commercial interest in having less turbos. The people who have been fabbing singles have been just bored and wanted to show that it can be done and that they were able to get them running.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 12:30 AM   #9
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

just makes no sense to me. Buy an n55 engined car if you want 1 turbo.

Still nobody can answer me yet there are tons of threads on this... WHY would someone do this??
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
LAE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

There are single turbo 335's....the N55.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 01:44 AM   #11
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boosted Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
The trend is towards more turbos, not less. The new M-diesel engines and M3 have 3 turbos. There is no commercial interest in having less turbos. The people who have been fabbing singles have been just bored and wanted to show that it can be done and that they were able to get them running.
Is this guy serious or just trolling?

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 02:52 AM   #12
Sigma 3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A few things

Seriously trolling!

Jk
      12-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
ExpensiveTaste
Poor Kid with Dreams
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335xi

I think the problem in developing a large single turbo application deals with fueling. It's not hard to fab up the hardware, but the piggybacks have yet to find a way to adjust pulsewidths and injector timing. I think the answer is flashtuning, but they haven't quite yet stepped up to the plate yet as there are no single turbo kits mass produced yet. It's a dilemma where a big single turbo can't be used without extra fueling and the flashes won't develop tuning unless enough big single turbo's demand a solution. The whole "I eat because I'm fat and I'm fat because I eat" mentality.

'07 BSM 335xi JB4, DCI, CX Racing I/C, ER Chargepipe, Meth, KW V3 - Pending Sale
'95 Mustang GTS 347ci Ported TFS TW Heads,Custom Cam,Victor 5.0 IM,Tubular Front Suspension,Full Exhaust,Big and Littles
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpensiveTaste View Post
I think the problem in developing a large single turbo application deals with fueling. It's not hard to fab up the hardware, but the piggybacks have yet to find a way to adjust pulsewidths and injector timing. I think the answer is flashtuning, but they haven't quite yet stepped up to the plate yet as there are no single turbo kits mass produced yet. It's a dilemma where a big single turbo can't be used without extra fueling and the flashes won't develop tuning unless enough big single turbo's demand a solution. The whole "I eat because I'm fat and I'm fat because I eat" mentality.
Cobb already has the ability to control IPW. I think their RB car is up and running as well(don't qoute me on that, i'm not 100%) so it should take too long to see if there really is a fueling problem at ~500rwhp.
I completely agree with you. I dont think it's smart to take the piggyback tuners word that there is a serious fueling problem at the 500rwhp mark when they can only control rail pressure. I would almost venture to say injector duty cycle has more potential than rail pressure, assuming rail pressure can maintain proper atomization.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
Skydive
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

As you can see, the majority of users here seem to be more interested in denigrating other people than sharing, however this topic has been, and is currently being discussed in several threads but I wil summarize because there seems to be a lot of confusion and disinformation about...

There are at least four parallel efforts going on at this time.

1. Vishnu: This project as been quiet for a couple of weeks, probably because Vishnu realized that he was sharing good information with competitors. When last updated, Vishnu showed a fabricated manifold fitment arranged around a reasonably sized PTE turbocharger. Vishnu is one of the leading tuners of the N54 and had been running a quieter, concurrent effort to produce a fuel system which can support such an induction arrangement. My bet is that the Vishnu project will be "first to market" in terms of a complete product offering that will support more than 520 horsepower. The manifold though, weather cast or fabricated, would appear to be very difficult to mass produce in a practical, reliable, consistent manner which is also cost effective, so this could represent significant delay.

2. HPF: This project looked very promising for a while, but we've seen some conflicting statements from the vendor. Also based on a PTE turbo, the manifold is one that wedges the turbo in in an awkward manner, but is apparently done. HPF had sought to turn the key first this week, but then there were pictures of a substantially disassembled car and turbo yesterday. HPF has also developed a port injection manifold for supplementary fuel to support horsepower in excess of 520. The intake manifold kit will apparently be available separately, and I suspect may increase the quoted sub-$10,000 price tag by at least $3,000. HPF have had good success with their E46 M3 kits which include an intake manifold and cost something like $13,000. The HPF development car apparently uses the Vishnu (Procede) piggyback unit for engine control. This is an interesting approcah, and should please Vishnu as well.

3. Full Race: This is a more recent development, and has been described by Full Race as a hardware only effort, so fuel and tune would be left entirely to the tuner and end user. Full Race is known to produce some very impressive fabricated manifolds, but that's only half the battle.

4. Aviva Instruments: (This is my project, so my biases are obvious.) Following its wildly popular high quality Audi and Skyline kits, Aviva embarked upon the N54 project about one month ago in earnest. We choose not to share a lot of detail, but we are well into the manifold design, and having visited the shop and the car yesterday, and spent time with the primary engineer, I am absolutely confident in the approaches being taken to turbocharger, manifold, downpipe, and fuel. All of these things are being done concurrently, and significantly differently than what we have seen from the others. We have addressed things which we perceive as difficiencies in what we have seen from others, but we still have much work to do. Conservatively speaking, we intend to "turn the key" on the first cars in March baring the unforeseen. We believe our kit will be very competively priced as well.

-Michael

Last edited by Skydive; 12-30-2011 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #16
Sigma 3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A few things

What kit do you have out for the audi?
BTW its not that We arent willing to share. He came to the form and asked about the most widley discussed and available topics. How where we supposed to take the question when the information is covered in 3-4 threads with several hundred pages of information.
      12-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
brandontoscano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mproved View Post
Any videos of single turbo 335's?? I am surprised there have not been more custom fab setups!

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #18
Skydive
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma 3 View Post
What kit do you have out for the audi?
We haven't yet become sponsor vendors here, (but intend to do so shortly), so I won't post links, but to name a few...

The TiAL 770/605 B5 Audi S4 kit which has become the big turbo kit by which all others are judged on the platform and has sold more than 250 kits making well over 700 awhp, is an Aviva Instruments product. (It was actually the Masters Thesis project undertaken by our chief engineer.)

The big turbo kit for the Audi R8, now marketed by GMG is a design done entirely by Aviva Instruments.

The Skyline GTR big turbo kit available from Wicked Motorsports and tuned by Cobb is a design done entirely by Aviva instruments.

Just prior to the N54 project began, Aviva completed the design of an Audi S4/RS4 supercharger kit. This kit is presently being fitted to early adopter cars.

The N54 kit now being developed will be the first offering which Aviva offers directly to tuner/installers and end users. We have learned that such model is better for both the company and its customers, and we will be able to better support those who actually install and use the product.

Thanks!
      12-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #19
Skydive
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontoscano View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5K_2KJsD1c
Yes... Curiously this one-off "kit" was removed and the test car returned after lease end. Clearly it ran reasonably, but AR decided to drop the kit. I suspect that the limitations of the stock fuel system were a significant factor. Others might include the fact that when this work was done, the enthusiast market may not have been ready for a product that so directly invalidated manufacturer warranties. (Now many more cars have surpassed the OE warranty, so it is less of a concern. We saw a similar "enthusiast bloom" with post warranty Audis and we believe it will prove out here too.) Little detail is available. Of course AR makes great products and has an excellent reputation, but turbo kits are generally outside of their focus.

Last edited by Skydive; 12-30-2011 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #20
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontoscano View Post
Very informational video.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #21
krayzie089
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 3351 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
No he is not trolling BMW is testing a new tri turbo system for the new M3. The system has not yet been confirmed but it is in the works. It basically gonna be a standard twin turbo set up with the 3rd turbo operating on electricity rather exaust gasses. Is suppose to kick on right away to eliminate turbo lag then once the twins spool up it shuts off. Its also suppose to improve gas milage. All in all i think its just going to cause more problems anyways dont understand why BMW just wont keep things simple. The Germans just so damn inovative and gotta be the pioneers of new technology.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #22
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive View Post
We haven't yet become sponsor vendors here, (but intend to do so shortly), so I won't post links, but to name a few...

The TiAL 770/605 B5 Audi S4 kit which has become the big turbo kit by which all others are judged on the platform and has sold more than 250 kits making well over 700 awhp, is an Aviva Instruments product. (It was actually the Masters Thesis project undertaken by our chief engineer.)

The big turbo kit for the Audi R8, now marketed by GMG is a design done entirely by Aviva Instruments.

The Skyline GTR big turbo kit available from Wicked Motorsports and tuned by Cobb is a design done entirely by Aviva instruments.

Just prior to the N54 project began, Aviva completed the design of an Audi S4/RS4 supercharger kit. This kit is presently being fitted to early adopter cars.

The N54 kit now being developed will be the first offering which Aviva offers directly to tuner/installers and end users. We have learned that such model is better for both the company and its customers, and we will be able to better support those who actually install and use the product.

Thanks!
didn't you guys have a hand in the first upgraded twins for the N54....the EPL/Tial turbos that JP runs? or am i mistaken?
Appreciate 0