E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > quick pad sensor question...

04-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

quick pad sensor question...

I am literally in the process of doing my rear brakes...

... when I ordered the parts, I did NOT get a new rear brake sensor thinking I can just reuse the old one... (my dash light did NOT come on)

... apparently, I could reuse the old one, but should just install a new one.

So I just ordered a new rear brakes sensor, but it won't be here until next week.... i am doing my brake NOW.

I need to get my car inspected on Monday at the shop which I why I need to get the brakes done now.

I also have summer wheels to put back on, but am doing then in another week or 2 when I get a new rear tire due to a bubble.

if I wait for another 2-3 weeks to change the brake sensor to the NEW one, is that OK?

My brake sensor did not light up my dash yet. .. and when should i "reset" the brake indicator on the dash? should i do it NOW when I do my brakes with the OLD sensor, or wait to reset the service indicator until i get the NEW brakes sensor?

... i've read issues people have had with putting on NEW pads and not chagning the sensor, and then a few months later the sensor going off (even tho they are new pads) and the service indicator is all F'ed up.
      04-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
when you get the sensor swap them out. since you are doing your brakes now, you cant so you're kidna forced to wait until you get your new sensor. totally fine driving without the sensor.(if your brakes are okay)

If you have no problems resetting the brake service message you should be fine, but i would just change to the new one anyways. though you should have problems resetting it. sometimes it reads ---- mls left until you change it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
when you get the sensor swap them out. since you are doing your brakes now, you cant so you're kidna forced to wait until you get your new sensor. totally fine driving without the sensor.(if your brakes are okay)

If you have no problems resetting the brake service message you should be fine, but i would just change to the new one anyways. though you should have problems resetting it. sometimes it reads ---- mls left until you change it.
..I actually reinstalled my old sensor no problem, but already ordered a new rear sensor from turner motorsports...

... my rear brake change is done, and I actually dropped my car off at my local indy last night to have them do an inspection today.

... I am putting my summer wheels on in about a week... so I was planning on putting the new sensor in then.

OR

should I just leave my old sensor in and wait until it goes off? I don't want my car CPU getting all messed up if I don't though.
      04-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
..I actually reinstalled my old sensor no problem, but already ordered a new rear sensor from turner motorsports...

... my rear brake change is done, and I actually dropped my car off at my local indy last night to have them do an inspection today.

... I am putting my summer wheels on in about a week... so I was planning on putting the new sensor in then.

OR

should I just leave my old sensor in and wait until it goes off? I don't want my car CPU getting all messed up if I don't though.
well, if you reset it and its all good. (i think resets to 10-15k miles) then you should be fine. Save the new sensor for the next rear brake service.

if i were you, id just put the new sensor in when i put the wheels on. There's technically no difference but for me its just peace of mind. just make sure you reset it, even if it never tripped the service light.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
well, if you reset it and its all good. (i think resets to 10-15k miles) then you should be fine. Save the new sensor for the next rear brake service.

if i were you, id just put the new sensor in when i put the wheels on. There's technically no difference but for me its just peace of mind. just make sure you reset it, even if it never tripped the service light.
.. I did NOT reset my rear brake indicator on my dash yet... Not sure exactly how I should proceed... reset with the old sensor, or put in the new sensor and then reset?

...if I reset it with the OLD sensor and NEW pads, will it still read correctly?

My dash light never came on in the first place either.
      04-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
.. I did NOT reset my rear brake indicator on my dash yet... Not sure exactly how I should proceed... reset with the old sensor, or put in the new sensor and then reset?

...if I reset it with the OLD sensor and NEW pads, will it still read correctly?

My dash light never came on in the first place either.
see thats the issue. most people who try to reset their old sensor usually gets the "------" message, when you try to reset it. Your car knows if you reset your sensor and if you use new or old sensors. mine didnt reset properly, so i got new sensors and worked.

try resetting it now

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...33&postcount=1

if it works, you should be fine! since it didnt trip the old sensor. if not, new sensor along with new wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

UPDATE

So my car is at my Indy shop getting inspected.... I told the guy I just replaced the rear pads and rotors...

He calls me to tell me my car is done, and says "Oh, I noticed you didn't change the brake pad sensor, so I just put a new one on there for you and reset the car's computer"

Awesome

But... I did already order a sensor from Turner Motorsports it will be here tomorrow... so now I "wasted" $27 bucks...

... yes I can save it for when I do my brakes again, but that might not be for another 3-4 years realisitically... AND who knows if I will even have my car when its time for new brakes again.... Oh well i suppose? Maybe I can sell it back to my local dealer ... or maybe my indy shop