E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > European Delivery Information

05-10-2005, 02:25 PM   #45
booyah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI

So is that price negotaible from the BMW ED website that list the savings of the car you want? Also dont you have to still pay full retail for the options you want?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 07:18 PM   #46
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah
So is that price negotaible from the BMW ED website that list the savings of the car you want? Also dont you have to still pay full retail for the options you want?
Yes absolutely, that price is negotiable. I got $1600 off of the Euro-Delivery Price of a 330i, which brought the total price to about $34,890, with Sport package, metallic paint & destination.

To answer another question in this thread; Why do they do allow this? In the case of the E90, I think there is more than the dealer allocation issue. The German economy is not doing too well right now and I think that BMW would like to sell the cars any which way, by hook or by crook. Usually when a new model is released, it takes about 6 MONTHS before BMWNA will permit dealer's allocation to be granted a European delivery car. If they don't do this and you want European delivery, fine, BUT the dealer must take the car out of his OWN allocation and WHOOPS! ...there goes your negotiation below Euro-Delivery price.

So right now is an EXTREMELY favorable time to take advantage of this.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2005, 02:19 PM   #47
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Check out this slick European Delivery price calculator. Courtesy of YvesJ. Need Excel to run this.

CLICK HERE FOR EUROPEAN DELIVERY PRICE CALCULATOR
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2005, 03:06 PM   #48
boswell
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1999 e46

When you go with the European Delivery do you have to have your car shipped back to the same dealership that you purchased it from?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2005, 03:46 PM   #49
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswell
When you go with the European Delivery do you have to have your car shipped back to the same dealership that you purchased it from?
No, but generally speaking another dealer will most likely charge a courtesy delivery fee, anywhere from $100 to $200. Unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2005, 05:17 PM   #50
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Thanks very much to YvesJ for building such a great spreadsheet and Jwocky for posting it here. YvesJ, I love the layout and formatting you've done. Super job!

For US buyers using the spreadsheet, please do not forget to add in the $695 Delivery and Handling charge into your calculations, because the version posted does not add this fee. I believe the $695 charge is a taxable item, so I built it into the base price in cells 'L3' and 'M3'. You can just tack on a "+695" to the formulas in those cells, or if you want to keep it in a similar fashion the rest of the spreadsheet, you can add "+INDIRECT("'(Invoice)'!"&$B$1&"35")" to the end of each formula in cells 'L3' and 'M3'.

So for example, the updated formula for cell 'L3' would read "=INDIRECT("'(Invoice)'!"&$B$1&"4")+INDIRECT("'(In voice)'!"&$B$1&"35")" if you wanted to add in the delivery and handling charge.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #51
TwinPowerF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

that's some excel advanced formulas, wish i knew how
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2005, 07:02 PM   #52
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
No, but generally speaking another dealer will most likely charge a courtesy delivery fee, anywhere from $100 to $200. Unfortunately.
From what I know, the courtesy delivery fee charged by dealers is $500 on average. I even had one lame dealership (Seattle BMW) quote me $1000.

wei, BMW has the ED program as a left over from when they were just introducing their cars into this market. The idea was to give people an incentive to buy a BMW. Even though they don't really need to give that incentive any longer, its still a great program that keeps many customers loyal and is just an "expense" they do to keep customers happy.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2005, 01:03 AM   #53
marcus330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6spd

There still has to be profit in the ED program...BMW is not going to give the product away. I wonder if it is in some was subsidized by the German govt.....perhaps they get some kind of tax break for bringing in all the American tourists that spend there $$ in Germany....who knows. I have to say that after doing one ED last year it is a sure-fire way to build lifelong customer loyalty. I'll bet for every ED customer they sell another 4-5 BMWs to that same person in the future.
You abosolutely MUST do a factory tour when you do ED. Not a requirement but you'd be nuts to miss it. The Munich tour further convinced me that I was buying the best built car (OK, mass produced) on the planet. By the end of the tour I was amazed that a 3 series could cost ONLY 30K!! FYI: Book your tour in advance...they do limit the tour group size. I got my tour reservation 2 months in advance.

Realtor Mobile: 6spd / Sport / Prem / Navi / ED 3-30-06
73 3.0s/84 528e/90 525i/97 M3 4dr/99 M3 Conv/2001 330i/2004 545i ED/2006 330i ED June 05
You're in control...is there anywhere you want to go ? -------------------------

Last edited by marcus330i; 05-17-2005 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2005, 01:46 AM   #54
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Can someone post a full travel plan for doing ED? I've never been to Europe and don't know any German. I want to enjoy the experience, but can only be there for a couple of days. I want to keep my expenses to a minimum. Any advice out there? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2005, 02:05 AM   #55
Athos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6-spd

I'd like to see a timeline for ED. How long does it take from order to build? How long from order to pickup? Do you have to pickup on a set date or is there a window and how big is that window? I've seen that it takes 4-6 weeks from drop off in Germany to the east coast of the U.S. and 6 to 8 weeks to the west coast. It also seems to take an extra week or so after arrival in the U.S. for the dealer to prepare the car, etc. Anyway, would love to see some time estimates so I can factor all this in to an ED decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2005, 02:28 AM   #56
Armen52
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Athos, you have the timing down just about correctly. From order to pick up date is usually no less than a couple months. Shipment back to the US can take up to 8 weeks, usually a bit less for east coast. That is, you can usually pick up your car within 8 weeks of drop-off over there.

Marcus, I am pretty sure that the German government doesn't subsidize the program. BMW does and they do it for the exact reason you mentioned in your post. It is an incredible experience and builds extreme customer loyalty.

If they can sell you four cars at a discount instead of one at sticker price, that's a smart move don't you think?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2005, 09:41 AM   #57
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
Athos, you have the timing down just about correctly. From order to pick up date is usually no less than a couple months. Shipment back to the US can take up to 8 weeks, usually a bit less for east coast. That is, you can usually pick up your car within 8 weeks of drop-off over there.

Marcus, I am pretty sure that the German government doesn't subsidize the program. BMW does and they do it for the exact reason you mentioned in your post. It is an incredible experience and builds extreme customer loyalty.

If they can sell you four cars at a discount instead of one at sticker price, that's a smart move don't you think?
Armen;

Yes, the time for completion of your car is pretty short. I put my order in on 3/29 and the car was completed by the end of April. I am leaving this coming Tuesday.

Although BMW does get people interested in the discount, I don't think the German government doesn't subsidize in some way. Not everyone goes back to Munich every year or two to buy a new BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2005, 04:04 PM   #58
cpcollin
United_States
Rep

ED Factory Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus330i
You abosolutely MUST do a factory tour when you do ED. Not a requirement but you'd be nuts to miss it. The Munich tour further convinced me that I was buying the best built car (OK, mass produced) on the planet. By the end of the tour I was amazed that a 3 series could cost ONLY 30K!! FYI: Book your tour in advance...they do limit the tour group size. I got my tour reservation 2 months in advance.
Marcus, I'm scheduled to pick up my ED 330 in July. I'd love to do the factory tour, but I haven't been able to find any direct information about it online. Who do you have to call to arrange a tour?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2005, 01:14 PM   #59
34Three
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 6spd, e36, e30

It involves import/export duty charges

I read that the main reason for an ED discount is not BMW generosity, diplomatic spiffs, or a marketing strategy but actually involves the lower import duty charged on "used cars" brought into the US. Other cars not to US spec may have other charges but since these are US spec vehicles and used they get roughly a 7% break.

Let's hope the loophole lives on!!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2005, 01:42 PM   #60
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Three
I read that the main reason for an ED discount is not BMW generosity, diplomatic spiffs, or a marketing strategy but actually involves the lower import duty charged on "used cars" brought into the US. Other cars not to US spec may have other charges but since these are US spec vehicles and used they get roughly a 7% break.

Let's hope the loophole lives on!!
Someone on bimmerfest.com's ED board, somewhere in the annals, explained that the bulk of the savings comes not from importing a used car, but by BMWAG (the parent company) almost completely cutting BMWNA (their North American distributor) out of the profit picture.

Here it is. It's the 4th post:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=ed+discount

-MrB
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2005, 07:04 PM   #61
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk
Someone on bimmerfest.com's ED board, somewhere in the annals, explained that the bulk of the savings comes not from importing a used car, but by BMWAG (the parent company) almost completely cutting BMWNA (their North American distributor) out of the profit picture.

Here it is. It's the 4th post:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=ed+discount

-MrB

mr. belk;
Excellent find!
That was one informative thread....and I can certainly now see why dealers don't like to discount E.D., and also why my salesperson was so happy doing it for me.

But I am pretty sure as one of the posters stated that there is still some tax benefit that BMW gets for selling the cars in that manner.

Very cool!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2005, 08:33 PM   #62
marcus330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcollin
Marcus, I'm scheduled to pick up my ED 330 in July. I'd love to do the factory tour, but I haven't been able to find any direct information about it online. Who do you have to call to arrange a tour?
FACTORY TOUR INFO:

Try this link and send an email to the factory of choice:

http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/nav/index....gung.shtml?9_3

Realtor Mobile: 6spd / Sport / Prem / Navi / ED 3-30-06
73 3.0s/84 528e/90 525i/97 M3 4dr/99 M3 Conv/2001 330i/2004 545i ED/2006 330i ED June 05
You're in control...is there anywhere you want to go ? -------------------------
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2005, 04:16 AM   #63
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
mr. belk;
Excellent find!
That was one informative thread....and I can certainly now see why dealers don't like to discount E.D., and also why my salesperson was so happy doing it for me.

But I am pretty sure as one of the posters stated that there is still some tax benefit that BMW gets for selling the cars in that manner.

Very cool!
RichReg, I've read through this thread and the Bimmerfest thread posted for reference, but I can't understand why you said, "and also why my salesperson was so happy doing it for me". Would you mind explaining? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2005, 04:17 AM   #64
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Has anyone had success in ordering an e90 in the US for LESS THAN $1,000 over ED invoice? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2005, 08:46 AM   #65
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe
RichReg, I've read through this thread and the Bimmerfest thread posted for reference, but I can't understand why you said, "and also why my salesperson was so happy doing it for me". Would you mind explaining? Thanks.
Redstripe;

It has always perplexed me as to why E.D. discounting has always been a black or white situation (either they'll do it or they won't) and I think I see why. I only say that the salesperson is content because it would appear that the only one losing out on the deal is the dealership itself, in terms of the C.S.I. money. Because basically, many dealerships tell their salesman that E.D. sales do not get a discount and in turn, the salesperson gets the same commission, or maybe even less in these cases.

Most informed persons that do E.D. look for a discount. Did you know that some dealerships have a dedicated E.D. salesperson? This is usually the person that is tenured and has sold a lot of volume in his day. He is really the only one that sees the "extra" or marginal profit because the dealership itself is really the only one losing out (CSI money).

I just think that any particular dealership that has no problem discounting E.D. just makes it that much easier for the salesperson to make extra money. If they have an open policy of discounting those cars, I don't think they'd be making their salespeople very happy if they were penalizing them for it, so in fact I think the reverse is true: the salespeople can't wait to get one of those sales.

Just my "business" theory.....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #66
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

OK. I'm sorry for going back to this, but I'm confused. After I've added all of the invoice option prices, w/ the ED invoice car price (including destination), I then try and negotiate with my dealer for the best price below the ED price (based on the invoice)?????? Do I approach this the same way as negotiating a standard deal using retail vs. invoice stateside??? Need help as this definitely seems like the way to go, and I don't want to appear like an idiot when I try and do the deal at my dealership.
Appreciate 0