E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Sunday Times today software update

09-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
phil3103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 / E46M3

Sunday Times today software update

Little detail I know but I spotted this this morning:

"Relief for BMW drivers

A security flaw that allowed thieves to drive off in BMWs in less than three minutes has been fixed.

The German car maker was spurred into action after a series of reports in InGear highlighted the loophole, which police blamed for thousands of car thefts across the country. Using high-tech kit bought online, thieves were able to hack into cars with keyless entry systems made in 2006-11, silence their alarms and drive away.

BMW has released a free software update that changes the way keys are programmed. Owners should call BMW’s hotline on 0800 083 4397."

When I called I was told it would be back end of November following the Crimewatch programme last week.

I'll check with my dealer again tomorrow. Wouldn't it be great if we could just download this patch onto a USB and be done with the whole saga.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

It seems BMW are giving the media misleading information - When watchdog reported, they were led to believe that BMW had an update ready & waiting whereas anyine calling the hotline got a completely different story with mention of a variety of proposed fixes ranging from hardware to software - makes you wonder if BMW know themselves?
Appreciate 0