E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Thought i'd throw a thread up..

11-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
niiCk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thought i'd throw a thread up..

Hey, some of you may know me as the crazy ass mofo who ran those epic wide PG-1s on the bagged E46 sedan, or even just the guy who changes wheels very often. Well anyways, since then the car had parted out, parts sold and car was gone. Was a pretty sad sight seeing it go, had it for about 3.5 years. Good memories..

Pics of old car in its final stage:

Well anyways, sold the car on a Thursday, it was only natural to buy a new one. I had been looking at different options..it came down to either a E60 or a E90. Well i put down the deposit on an E90 Msport on the following Saturday. Come Tuesday, i had myself a Sparkling Graphite E90 Msport. Not exactly the colour i wanted but for the price i paid and for how clean it was, it was awesome!

Would have loved the sat nav but couldnt find one that was cheap enough for me.

Anyways, the first 'mod' i bought was a OEM leather fob key case and OEM floormats (car didnt come with any but the carpet was in good condition so im guessing they threw out the floormats cause they were dirty or something).

Key Fob case:

Floormats:

Since the car came standard with RFT the car didnt have a jack, wheel brace or spare tyre so i put up a thread on here looking for those parts. Noone had replied so i bought a wheel brace from the UK. Then Adrian (adrianc) had PMed me about the space saver and jack he had left over from his M3. All new with BMW stickers, SCORE!

Dont have a pic of the space saver and jack unfortunately.

Was pretty happy with how it was, enjoying the car as it is. But then i wanted to fix up the front end. I really wanted the 3D studio front lip for the E90 but it was $700 before shipping so i thought i'd put that on hold for now. Since i had a E60 Msport Hamann front lip (courtesy of INDOMI), i decided i should try and modify it to fit the E90. Surprising the E90 has a wider front bar haha. This is what i came up with:

Looks alright, still havnt completed it. Been too busy and really cbf sanding lol.

Oh i also fitted my old plates onto the car.

After that, still finding ways to freshen up the rear end. At first i was looking at changing the exhaust itself to a bolt on Arqray exhaust or even the BMW performance exhaust but $800 for just sound, i thought wasnt worth it. I could use the money elsewhere and besides the stock exhaust sounds great as it is.

I went and bought a Msport rear bootlid spoiler.

Test fit (please excuse the dirty car lol):

Fitted:

I was then looking at alternatives for the rear tail lights. I hate the clear bit. Blacklines were too expensive for me, so i got some red tint/vinyl and covered it. Didnt turn out too bad but wish it were abit darker.

The tint:

Before:

After:

That was about it.

But as you know..knowing me i wanted low and wheels!

So on the hunt i was, looking at some suspension setups. Looked into getting Airsuspension again but it was going to cost me too much so decided to go with coilovers. Looked at KWs, STs, and BCs. KWs are great, ive fitted a set onto our Merc and they ride nice but i was doubting their capabilities of going lowwww..same goes with ST, apparently they just KW V1s but cheaper materials used thus being cheaper. So i looked into BC BRs, people rate them well so i was leaning more towards them and since the price is so cheap i thought why not. Upon some research, i found out that people who fitted BC BR coilovers onto their E90 were unable to drop the car alot. When they maxed out the front coilovers, it would still stick above the tyre of stockies which made me sad and confused till one guy gave me the solution to my problems! BC BR Extreme drop kit. I looked into it more, was very impressed at how low they went. Not many E90s were running the Extreme drop kit, but the one guy that did, he is dumped and he has nothing but good feedback about them so i thought why not they were cheaper than buying them locally (when the exchange rate was abit better) and you were able to choose your spring rates at no extra charge! But i just stuck with the standard 7kg fronts and 11kg rears since the coilover guy recommended me. So that was all paid for and just waiting for it to be built and sent to me.

Just when i thought it would stop, i decided to jump on the 3D studio lip. So that was paid for and is in the process of being posted to me too.

What it looks like:

Oh but it didnt stop there, a couple days later i was looking for some wheels. Was looking at getting some Hamann PG-1s again but in 18s. I had found a set but missed out on buying them was pretty cut about it. But a week later, 2 days ago i found a really nice set of wheels. So i bought it. I might not tell you guys what they are just yet. But i'll just give you the specs. They 18x10 +25 fronts and 18x11 +0 rears. Haha, okay before you freak out, the rears are getting modded so i'll probs change the outer lip and make it a higher offset.

Thats it for now guys, hope you guys enjoyed it and i'll keep updating this thread as i go

C&C welcome. Might get some hate from all the E46ers.

Thanks,
Nick
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
niiCk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Noticed i havnt updated this thread in awhile.

So nothing much as changed.

First off, i rolled the rear guards in preparation for the wheels that were coming. (Sorry, dont have pics of this)

Next up was getting my windows tinted. I wasnt sure whether to gether 15% or 20% but i ended up getting 20% since on our old merc, we had 15% and couldnt see anything especially at night (had to wind the windows down to see). I thought didnt want to have to go through that again, and besides my interior was black already.

I then got the email from Dan who was making my coilovers. They were ready to be shipped out however when he opened the box to check whether everything was all good. He noticed that they put on the wrong front springs. I bought the extreme drop kit which means theyre suppose to be the shorter springs up front. So luckily he noticed while it was still in the US, cause i wouldve been fked if i only noticed when they arrived. He did send me a photo of the coilovers though with the incorrect front spring.

You'll see the difference of the front spring later on. He said not to worry and that they could be swapped out within a day. So i thought yeah dont worry, take your time. I'd rather it be done properly then rushed and messed up. So 4 days later, they arrived at the front door! Cheering! shipping was so fast, yet so cheap.

A few days later, my front lip also arrived.

Fitment was pretty good, however being plastic if kind of deformed on the way here. So heating and what not would be required to fit it properly.

Test fit:

Next, i went and fitted the coilovers. Rears were easy as to install, however the fronts were a b*tch! i tried following the DIYs on the net, but i had no clue how they were able to do what they did. So i had to figure out a way myself. It wasnt a matter of just opening the bolt holding the shocks and pushing the hub down (like on the E46). The shocks on the E90 are fking low and when i pushed the hub the whole way down, i couldnt go any lower cause the steering arm? or something was pretty much at its max angle so didnt want to fk it up. So i had to remove alot of bolts to get it off. Took me like 5 hrs to do the fronts alone..

As you can see, these are the shorter springs and skinnier/more linear springs than the ones above. Also notice the length of the shocks? hahaha

Anyways, here they are installed

I've gone lower since. Theres heaps more adjustment to go lower but i'll do that when i get wheels.

I then go the front lip painted, wasnt too sure how it would turn out as i just gave it to a mate who sent it to a shop.

Turned out great for the price i paid.
Test for colour match:

All good

Now comes my final thing for this update.
I hurts for me to say this, but the wheels i had paid for and been waiting for for a month arent coming.

I paid for them last month, the guy was suppose to shave them and paint them then send. I felt he kept stalling. He hardly responded to my msgs, i smsed him like 20 times a day to only get one reply saying theyre almost done..blabalahla..anyways put in a paypal claim and got all my money back. Apparently they also took an extra 300euro off him cause of the exchange rates or something. After the paypal claim happened, he started messaging me like crazy. Pretty funny huh? yeh but it does suck cause no i dont have any wheels and have to go hunting again
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
niiCk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quick iphone snaps, finally stuck the Agentz stickers on:

as it stands as of today..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Rivenscyr
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: muzza-tastic cruiser

Sup nick!

You and Suj will have epic stanced e90's lol
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

Wow, straight to work you went. I like it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenscyr View Post
Sup nick!

wait wut?

anyway hi here too nick lol
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Fkn hell. You don't muck around.

Nice choice on the m-sport. I thought the rear tail tint would look shite but it actually doesn't look too bad. You have too look twice to realise its not an lci rear.

Cant believe how low the BC BR extreme's look compared to the standard strut! What would the ride be like with that set up?

Nice write up. Keen to see how it looks when it's all finished.
2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
niiCk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenscyr View Post
Sup nick!

Sup! haha

Lol, Suj will have a more stanced out E90 than me.

Still figuring out which wheels to get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
Wow, straight to work you went. I like it.
Hehe yep! dont like wasting time.

But i did do some research before buying the E90. Like what lips, suspension and their wheels specs etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
wait wut?

anyway hi here too nick lol
sup suj!

We all know what you have planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i-boy View Post
Fkn hell. You don't muck around.

Nice choice on the m-sport. I thought the rear tail tint would look shite but it actually doesn't look too bad. You have too look twice to realise its not an lci rear.

Cant believe how low the BC BR extreme's look compared to the standard strut! What would the ride be like with that set up?

Nice write up. Keen to see how it looks when it's all finished.
Thanks heaps!

Yeah, i didnt think the rear red tint would look good myself. But it did turn out well in the end however i do want to get it re-done in a red thats more similar to the rest of it. Like the tint is a tad lighter shade..

Tell me about it! i was pretty shocked myself when the BC's arrived lol. But tbh, the suspension rides nice. Pretty much like stock, i might even like it more lol

Thanks again, hopefully i can get some wheels happening soon. Been waiting on another seller who hasnt replied me yet.

------

In other news, took the family out to dinner last night and after that we went to the new woolworths in tempe.

As i was approaching the entrance to the carpark, i already thought in my head.."fk that is a really high driveway." But i had to attempt it anyways..So i took the driveway at an angle then guess what happened?........

Yep, i was 3-wheeling. I was stuck. I couldnt go forward. LOL rear left wheel was up in the air. Mind you this is with 4 people in the car too. There was heaps of people waiting behind me and coming out of the carpark too. I had to reverse it out and take it at an even more extreme angle. Gotta love really short coilovers.

This isnt the first time its happened. Happened to me 2 before aswell entering my girlfriend's driveway. The looks i get is pretty funny though.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

mmm 3 wheelin! Looking forward to this haha
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Getting BC BR & had no idea there was a "extreme drop" option, what drop is regular vs extreme? I have 20's so I am assuming the regular would be good for me. I have H&R with stock shocks now (sucks badly!!) and it is a bit to low.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

damn that's a short coilover and your car is sitting very low indeed!!

Did you use a spring compressor when changing the front coils? I found it tricky the first few times but you get quicker...

Looking forward to seeing what rims you have.

Also an OEM Xenon Headlight conversion wouldn't look too bad either
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
niiCk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
mmm 3 wheelin! Looking forward to this haha
You'll be doing it soon enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Getting BC BR & had no idea there was a "extreme drop" option, what drop is regular vs extreme? I have 20's so I am assuming the regular would be good for me. I have H&R with stock shocks now (sucks badly!!) and it is a bit to low.
The extreme drop kit isnt really an option in aus..its more a US thing as they custom make it over there. They also dont usually ship into Australia since we already have a supplier for BC's here. The difference in the regular BR and extreme drop kit is just that the front springs are shorter and that i think they have shorter shocks.

Yeah i think the regular ones would suit you fine. Its just from what i saw, the fronts seem to sit above the stock tyres lol. I obviously want as low as possible so thats why i chose the extreme drop kit.

I was actually thinking of getting H&Rs while i figured out which coilovers to get..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
damn that's a short coilover and your car is sitting very low indeed!!

Did you use a spring compressor when changing the front coils? I found it tricky the first few times but you get quicker...

Looking forward to seeing what rims you have.

Also an OEM Xenon Headlight conversion wouldn't look too bad either
Hey Stu!

Lol yeah, its pretty damn short. That isnt the final height..I'll be adjusting it when i get wheels.

Hmm, i wasnt exactly changing the springs so i thought i wouldnt need to compress the front springs..But i did give it a shot and i still couldnt get the hub to drop enough so that the top hat clears the top. Thats why i had to remove everything all the DIY's i saw, people were able to get the shock out and have it outside of the guards..

Yeah, actually having a hard time finding wheels that i like

And yes, the xenon lights are on the cards..also i need to repaint the license plate area..previous owner drilled holes for their euro plates hate it!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 02:40 AM   #13
niiCk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sup guys! i havnt been here in ages..

So i ended up buying a Arqray titanium rear exhaust. Love the sound of it, sounds beefy and nicer than stock. Fitted it and polished it up.

Long story short, i was having bad luck with wheel purchases. I got jipped twice. Its pretty sad.
Well after all that, i made the purchase for some wheels from Japan. It was my first time and i was pretty iffy about it.
It wasnt through jesse streeter, or import monster like most would recommend but a guy that was on the forums. A few guys used him and said he was good and honest. So i took a gamble.

I ended up buying the wheels. Genuine 5x120 and BMW centre bore..72.56? or something like that. 18x9 +12 and 18x10.5 +27.
It was coming by sea and the guy said 5-8 weeks delivery..another thing that made me worried..plus you cant really track sea freight (only when it has left the origin country and when it has arrived in Sydney).

Well, as the weeks went by, i kept checking the tracking..almost everyday at work. I was getting bored and started to look for some temporary wheels. I was going to get some style 95s for fun but i thought no, i'll hold out till my wheels come. Well..it was Wednesday 16th of January..i did my routine check of the tracking in the morning at work..was upset cause it was all the same. Then in the afternoon, before i was about to go home, i checked it again and BAM! it said location "Sydney". My heart pumped like crazy and i was like so happy. It was exactly 6 weeks from when it was sent.

Come Thursday, i was hoping for them to arrive but they didnt i assume it was still getting processed..then friday, i left for work later than usual..and 5 mins after leaving i got a message from my sister saying they arrived..that made my day already! lol couldnt wait to get home.

When i got home, i test fitted them. It was really a gamble as i didnt have much knowledge about E90 wheel sizes and offsets..trying to work off peoples specs from the the photos on the internet isnt easy. So here they are, my work equip wheels

Rare as fk! think these came out in the 90s? yeah i'll have to check the stickers again. As you can see, the fitment is pretty good but i think the rears could be abit more aggressive. Unfortunately, one of the centre caps was damaged which i wasnt aware of..was worried i wouldnt find any since theyre discountinued and rare..but i jumped on ebay aus and there was a set for sale! fkign cheering! i bought them straight away and luckily he lives close by to me.

Well today, Saturday. I was keen on fitting tyres. I was very determined to get some on asap! Could up my usual guy on Friday before i even got home to test fit them. He said he didnt have any in stock and that he couldnt do it on Saturday anyways. So i thought fair enough. So i was on the hunt to find someone who was able to do it.

I found a store that had them in stock..245s. So i went there, they attempted to fit them onto my 10.5s but they couldnt..attempted it 5 times with a bead blaster. Very incompetent..they suck. He said they were too small. So im like fine! i gave in and said put some 255s on then. So they put it on. One went on easily, the other took a couple attempts-.- they finally got them on..then he wanted to charge me an extra $10 for wheel balancing..was fked..but i said yeah whatever. He balanced them and then i was off..2 fking hours later.

I was pretty pissed cause of the tyre size and the price i had to pay in the end. I had another store which i called up earlier that had some tyres that i needed for the fronts. But i was like no, lets go home cause i was pissed and it started raining. While on the way home, going through the M5 i thought, lets just stop by my usual store and ask him for the fronts. Rocked up, saw him and asked for my front tyres. He said alright take the wheels done. We went to look for the tyres and he had alot in stock for the front..grabbed two then he was like what about your rears? what were you after? im like 245s..then hes like oh we got some in stock this morning..im like FML! i was like can you fit them onto 10.5s? hes like yeah. So im like okay, fk lets do it! so i took the 255s which i just bought off and he went to put the 245s on..it was on with ease. Took him literally 5 mins to fit them. I was so happy. I knew i shouldve just went there first, hes the best. He fitted the fronts, and i took my 255s home. Couldnt fit in the daily..had to shove them into the rear seat and couldnt see out the rear window on the way home. Within 30 mins i had them on:

I shall go lower all around soon. Still got to take it for a spin. I also need to pick up the centre caps and fit them.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 03:19 AM   #14
Rob32R
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 530i/VW R32/E70 X5

Are you somehow related to sbce90?

Absolutely stunning Nick! I love the Work Equips wheels. You surely do impress me when it comes to stance on BMW's. I'm a massive fan of Aqray exhausts especially when it has titanium tips and blends in with the paint colour of the car.

You and sbce90 need to do a photoshoot together ''Stanced E90's''

Subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 03:23 AM   #15
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

You tease nick. Moar pics naoooooo
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 04:54 AM   #16
niiCk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob32R View Post
Are you somehow related to sbce90?

Absolutely stunning Nick! I love the Work Equips wheels. You surely do impress me when it comes to stance on BMW's. I'm a massive fan of Aqray exhausts especially when it has titanium tips and blends in with the paint colour of the car.

You and sbce90 need to do a photoshoot together ''Stanced E90's''

Subscribed.
Thanks man. Yeah man, were both asian

This isnt really as stanced as i hoped. I plan to do some minor touchups..maybe some spacers and adjust camber. Yeah the exhaust looks good, i love the polish look but its gay since the car is low you cant see it from the rear.

And that was the plan! Suj just needs to come back.

Quote:
You tease nick. Moar pics naoooooo
Tomorrow after i fix it up abit.

---

I went to test drive it just then..holy fk it scrubs lol.
Well my rear not so much, the rear is rubbing on the felt that under there..

Front is rubbing right where the bumper meets the fender. Its cause i chose to run 225s as oppose to 215s..which i blame ALLEN.J! lol hope he see this.

But yeah, tomorrow i will adjust the front camber since its currently its all natural camber from being lowered. Once i get it all right, i will get it aligned.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #17
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

your next mod (something that'll increase the value of your car lol)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-E90-S...ht_1755wt_1037
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #18
niiCk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

haha, ive seen it..but i dont want it.
I dont like how theres two bumps on the dash now lol
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #19
niiCk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So a quick update..i was scrubbing upfront since i didnt really stretch the tyres..so i had to put in some camber.

I then decided to paint the centres since it wasnt in the best shape..and also since one of the centre caps was different..just a temporary refurb:

Also painted my calipers and hubs in silver since they were all rusty..looks so much better now

Washed and waxed it yesterday, first time since ive owned it then it decided to rain today..

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #20
mr-pham
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Hey niiCk, I'm thinking of getting bc coilovers for my e90. Just wondering where you got your bc coilovers extreme drop kit from?

btw your e90 looking awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 02:16 AM   #21
niiCk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-pham View Post
Hey niiCk, I'm thinking of getting bc coilovers for my e90. Just wondering where you got your bc coilovers extreme drop kit from?

btw your e90 looking awesome!
Hey,

I got mine from the states but i now know someone in Australia who sells them. PM if you want a set. Also what spring rate would you like? mine are 7kg fronts and 11kg rears. You can get higher if you want.

And thanks thinking of selling the wheels as i have a new set in mind. If anyone is interested, yknow....pm me
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #22
mr-pham
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Hey niiCk, thanks for the reply man

Do you recommend higher spring rate? or your 7kg fronts and 11kg rears is good already?

have you had any problems with your bc coilovers?

Can you PM me the website or contact details?
Appreciate 0