E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Remapped 330d auto - Does MPG improve or get worse? / Custom Intake

02-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

Remapped 330d auto - Does MPG improve or get worse? / Custom Intake

Hi Guys

Really thinks about getting the D mapped once the first service is out of the way. However, reading on here some people are getting much worse MPG while others appear to be getting better. I fully appreciate that, once mapped, if you use the new power yiou will use more fuel but am interested in normal steady state MPG compared to before.

What are peoples experiences?

Also has anyone tried this K+N aftermarket intake kit specifically for the 330d:-

http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57A-6041_inst.pdf
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Listen My MPG is bad anyhow, no worse now than what it was before the map. Mine is a 35d.
      02-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Listen My MPG is bad anyhow, no worse now than what it was before the map. Mine is a 35d.
Hi Carlos

Yes i know yours is bad!!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Rich, what is your mpg?
      02-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Just under 39.54 MPG from new Carlos, not too bad for an Auto but i do have a nice run to work and back.THis is calculated, not from the on board computer.

Last edited by Ti Rich; 02-22-2009 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Thats bloody good mate. Im averaging 24mpg since September last year. Which is bloody good for me.
      02-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Here is the MPG from new shows as actual data and 5 tank rolling average. You can clearly see the difference the colder weather has made over the past few months.

Added some ZX1 to the oil today, engine already much smoother and based on past experience should be worth 1-2 MPG more. I will also change the air filter at the first oil service, 40K miles is far too long to leave it.

Last edited by Ti Rich; 02-22-2009 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
What is ZX1 mate? So how often is the air filter specified to be changed.
      02-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

when i had my 335d standard i was getting 24mpg when i remapped it (emaps) it went up t 26.4 mpg. And i have a very heavy right foot.
      02-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

BMW specify that the airfilter is changed every second service (about 40k miles). Try removing it after about 15k and see how blocked it is already. It really should be changed every service in my opinion.

ZX1 is a friction reducer (NOT PTFE) that bonds to the metal and is added to the oil. It's the only oil additive type product to have a NATO approved part number. More info here:-

http://www.team-zx1.com/noflash.cfm

I know a lot of people would not touch this sort of stuff but having used thisin the past i can only say as i find - it makes the engine smoother and offers a slight MPG benefit.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
CrimsonRedE93
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E93 330d+

Garage List
Ti, I can't say the Evolve remap has increased my mpg because I think my driving has got harder, I know if I go on a 1 hour trip and use the car fairly hard I get about 35mpg, If I drive the less than 2 miles a day to work it is more like 25mpg.

I don't think you can justify a remap to guarantee more mpg as you will treat the car differently so I think you have to almost ignore the mpg and think about the bhp do you feel lucky
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

Just my 2ct's worth:

- there hasn't been a single engine manufacturer advertising oil add-on's. I'd like to be a believer, but if the Shell's, Castrol's etc don't use it why buy from some unknown company? They have more R&D money then Castrol? Hard to believe when i see what i pay for Castrol at the dealership..

- NATO is probably the worst customer. The only thing they stipulate is everything has to run on kerosine. Apart from that they don't approve or dissaprove anything, as long as you warrant it.

- Using a a 230+ bhp 330D to two 2 mls to work? Here's a summmary of what you're likely to see:
1) condensation in exhaust, early rusting thru
2) condenation of acid exhaust gasses in EGR cooler, eating it up
3) clogged up EGR system
4) the fuel economy you see.

Man, no car was made to go for just two miles, let alone a diesel...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
encee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d SE Steptronic

Okay, I`ll make no bones about this, because I`ve shouted my gob off enough about it.

Since I`ve had my re-map (Superchips, done by Ant @ SpeedReligion), I`ve repeatedly mentioned the fact that my mpg has decreased by approx 5mpg, over a full tank.

Well now, I have to admit.................I WAS WRONG !!

Okay, at the time, I thought I was right, but that was because I really believed it to be the case.

However, since I last filled up, almost 400 miles ago, I`ve been driving like Miss Daisy everywhere, just to see the maximum I could achieve if I tried. This doesn`t mean I`ve been frightened to open it up when needed, but just that I`ve been cruising at dead on the speed limit on the Motorways, where I do the majority of my mileage.

As such, I`m currently still midway between half and a quarter-tank, and on my Motorway run to work (approx 23 miles), I`m averaging between 41 - 47 mpg, depending on conditions/traffic, etc....

Okay yes, those are OBC figures, but I fully expect the whole tankful to average just above/below the 40mpg mark when I come to re-fill it.

If that`s the case, then it will be better than anything I`ve achieved since I`ve had the 330d, and that includes summer driving !

The only other point of note is that I`ve also been using Shell V-power for the second time now, but although it does seem to increase mpg slightly (my last fill produced approx 2mpg more) it certainly doesn`t equate to this sort of mpg.

In conclusion, I can only surmise, as some others have said, that I was simply putting my foot down more ( no doubt to enjoy the increased performance initiated by the re-map ), which resulted in greater fuel consumption before.

Again, I didn`t believe this at the time, and genuinely felt that I wasn`t really driving any harder than normal, but having conducted my own "test", I have to submit that I was wrong.

Other than all that, irrespective of mpg, anyone thinking of the re-map really, really must do this, as it makes an already great car awesome !
      02-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by encee View Post
Okay, I`ll make no bones about this, because I`ve shouted my gob off enough about it.

Since I`ve had my re-map (Superchips, done by Ant @ SpeedReligion), I`ve repeatedly mentioned the fact that my mpg has decreased by approx 5mpg, over a full tank.

Well now, I have to admit.................I WAS WRONG !!

Okay, at the time, I thought I was right, but that was because I really believed it to be the case.

However, since I last filled up, almost 400 miles ago, I`ve been driving like Miss Daisy everywhere, just to see the maximum I could achieve if I tried. This doesn`t mean I`ve been frightened to open it up when needed, but just that I`ve been cruising at dead on the speed limit on the Motorways, where I do the majority of my mileage.

As such, I`m currently still midway between half and a quarter-tank, and on my Motorway run to work (approx 23 miles), I`m averaging between 41 - 47 mpg, depending on conditions/traffic, etc....

Okay yes, those are OBC figures, but I fully expect the whole tankful to average just above/below the 40mpg mark when I come to re-fill it.

If that`s the case, then it will be better than anything I`ve achieved since I`ve had the 330d, and that includes summer driving !

The only other point of note is that I`ve also been using Shell V-power for the second time now, but although it does seem to increase mpg slightly (my last fill produced approx 2mpg more) it certainly doesn`t equate to this sort of mpg.

In conclusion, I can only surmise, as some others have said, that I was simply putting my foot down more ( no doubt to enjoy the increased performance initiated by the re-map ), which resulted in greater fuel consumption before.

Again, I didn`t believe this at the time, and genuinely felt that I wasn`t really driving any harder than normal, but having conducted my own "test", I have to submit that I was wrong.

Other than all that, irrespective of mpg, anyone thinking of the re-map really, really must do this, as it makes an already great car awesome !

Mate ENCEE im loving the Enthusiasm buddy
      02-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Nice write up encee and yes, it's easy to see why you'd be 'more enthusiastic with the right tootsies' post re-map - natural surely.

I found this with the 335d. Initially I thought what are folks on about that the mpg will improve under normal driving conditions............but it did. It decreased overall slightly 'whilst playing', but hey life's for having some fun eh.

Enjoy!!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #16
encee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d SE Steptronic

Carlos and Helen: I thank you, and yes, the 330d is ADDICTIVE !!
      02-23-2009, 04:33 AM   #17
thewallboy
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe LCI

Right then. My tuppence worth.

Please do not take any of what is about to be typed as in any way scientific but......

Pre Evolve map, my auto 330d was getting 37.6 OBC (I think) 470/80 miles between fills. Mostly doing a round trip from Dulwich (SE London) to Chippenham. A mix of VERY urban to 85 odd miles of m-way.

Post map, doing pretty much the same trip twice a week.... 39.2 OBC and just squeezed 530 miles from a tank.

I don't think I drive any differently. I tend to sit at 77 on the m-way and, given the opportunity, go hard off the lights.

Can't believe I stressed so much about getting the remap done!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 05:51 AM   #18
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
330d MPG just got better!

Just had my mapped 330d in for a 37K "vehicle check" on Friday.

Dealer had the car for 2 hours while I waited and had several coffees, almost bought an M3 and an X6 (did I say X6?) through sheer boredam.

Overheard a few of the sales guys and they appeared to be doing quite well -sold 3 cars whilst i was there. "That's another one for march delivery" with the rubbing of sweaty palms was observed on one occasion.

Anyway I have no idea what the dealer has done for my £100 as I was told it was just a basic physical check but the car is running smoother (particularly the auto gearbox) and getting to the point the MPG has recovered to 35.8

I have been driving pretty hard too. MPG was down to 33ish before this

Still have my map too

Tried to change the air filter (bought a K&N) on Saturday. Managed to remove the microfilter and housing and engine cover etc but couldn't get the air filter casing out for the engine brace etc. I could see the "sheep like" filter (looked like a hand muff) but was totally pissed and conceded defeat and put it all back together again due to the fact I had to go out and lost a bolt in the process.

Might have another go if anyone can guide me in the right direction?

Anyone else struggled to change the air filter?

Last edited by PhilR; 02-23-2009 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: spewlling
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #19
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

I changed my filter, and it is a bastard of a job - there is a post on the classifieds section I think, started by Ant. I loosened the strut brace bolts as it was the only way I could get access.

edit - here it is - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=330d+k%26n

My car did improve by 1 or 2 mpg post remap, but suffered in the recent cold weather - but it is now back up at 38mpg or so overall.
      02-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #20
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB View Post
I changed my filter, and it is a bastard of a job - there is a post on the classifieds section I think, started by Ant. I loosened the strut brace bolts as it was the only way I could get access.

edit - here it is - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=330d+k%26n

My car did improve by 1 or 2 mpg post remap, but suffered in the recent cold weather - but it is now back up at 38mpg or so overall.
MOB Those are the instructions / thread I followed. Thanks anyway.
They are clear but still didn't have success
I will get hold of a star socket and try again this time lossening the strut brace.

Got about 6 cuts on my right hand too - fcuking thing!

Any idea what the dealer will do at 40K service if they discover a K&N filter. I have thought about telling them in advance so they don't remove it. May have warranty issues though? Don't really want to remove it and put the stock sheep in prior to service and go through that all over x 2 again.

Last edited by PhilR; 02-23-2009 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #21
CrimsonRedE93
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E93 330d+

Garage List
Evolve 330d mapped guys, which Evolve map did you get as I had one of the first:

From 234bhp to 280bhp and 550Nm to 675Nm

I wondered if there is much mpg difference between them
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #22
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

Not sure which one I got, I just asked for an OEM feel, just more of it.