E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Medical Coverage

09-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Medical Coverage

I have a question.

So my wife has been carrying our medical coverage with her current employer. She is now changing jobs and her new employer has a ton of options and it's mind numbing to look at all the forms.

Well my employer whose coverage I have not been using has a similar package to her current one that is only slightly more a month. Problem is my work is claiming that we as a couple cannot sign up through them if my wife's new employer offers coverage. They would allow just me and not her.

Is this allowable? Her current employer never made us remove me from their coverage when I became employed with medical coverage(I was previously self-employed). This just doesn't seem right. Is it possibly a decision that companies can make on their own to save money?

Anyone know anything about this or ran into something similar?

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
I have a question.

So my wife has been carrying our medical coverage with her current employer. She is now changing jobs and her new employer has a ton of options and it's mind numbing to look at all the forms.

Well my employer whose coverage I have not been using has a similar package to her current one that is only slightly more a month. Problem is my work is claiming that we as a couple cannot sign up through them if my wife's new employer offers coverage. They would allow just me and not her.

Is this allowable? Her current employer never made us remove me from their coverage when I became employed with medical coverage(I was previously self-employed). This just doesn't seem right. Is it possibly a decision that companies can make on their own to save money?

Anyone know anything about this or ran into something similar?
it's actually extremely commonplace with larger companies. There's nothing you can do about it.
The alternative some companies do, is allow you, but charge a ridiculous amount.

Sorry though, your hands are tied.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
xraymd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M2, 22 Lincoln Navigator

Sure it's allowable. We did something similar (and in Ohio) a few years ago as a cost cutting measure after multiple years of premiums going up 15-20% a year. Remember, the employer is usually the one picking up most of the tab.

We had several employees who had selected the "family plan" with us only even though their spouse was covered at their job. In other words, each couple was double covered. This doesn't give the employee any benefit (nobody is going to pay twice for your doctor visit), but adds extra cost to each spouse's employer.

For employees selecting the family plan, we elected to pay the costs of the individual plan and pass on the rest to the employee. At the time, that worked out to about $100/month.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
The main problem seems that my wife's new plans would completely remove her from her current provider. Where I could sign up with my work and stay on the same network. I could care less but it's worked out that she's been covered under the same medical coverage since she was around 15, with her parents coverage and now her own. This change would push her off that network which would mean finding all new doctors. For a man no big deal, but for a women that's not cool(you all know why).

It's not really a money thing. It will only go up about $30-40 a month if we split or both go to one of her new programs. She just wants to stay on her coverage shes used to.

Now how would my work even find out if we were to sign up though them and never elect to pick up coverage though my wife's work? We would not want to do the double coverage route like xraymd brought up. Just the employee+spouse at my work and nothing through hers.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
The main problem seems that my wife's new plans would completely remove her from her current provider. Where I could sign up with my work and stay on the same network. I could care less but it's worked out that she's been covered under the same medical coverage since she was around 15, with her parents coverage and now her own. This change would push her off that network which would mean finding all new doctors. For a man no big deal, but for a women that's not cool(you all know why).

It's not really a money thing. It will only go up about $30-40 a month if we split or both go to one of her new programs. She just wants to stay on her coverage shes used to.

Now how would my work even find out if we were to sign up though them and never elect to pick up coverage though my wife's work? We would not want to do the double coverage route like xraymd brought up. Just the employee+spouse at my work and nothing through hers.

I've wondered that myself, I'm not sure but there must be a way... not sure if there's some communication that's done between agencies or what. Not sure if it'd be worth the risk if you both get dropped though? (not even sure if that's possible though)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
I've wondered that myself, I'm not sure but there must be a way... not sure if there's some communication that's done between agencies or what. Not sure if it'd be worth the risk if you both get dropped though? (not even sure if that's possible though)
Right. She'll be working for a branch of the Govt. and I work for a law firm. I don't see either transferring info. Let alone the coverage we want is offered through my work and not hers. It's not like we want for example Aetna and both our works provide them just mine is cheaper.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #7
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Sorry bro...perfectly legal (and expected)...your "family plan" costs the employer about 2k/mo...

She could always pay "out of network" to keep her doctor...even if you guys have a baby...you are only really talking about a couple of hundred dollars...unless one is a UH plan and she has CCF doc (or vise versa)

If they let you keep the extra $$$ as income...the best bet is to get a high deductible/HSE plan and go where you want

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
xraymd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M2, 22 Lincoln Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
I don't think there is a good way for your employer to figure out if your wife's employer offered her coverage.

If you both signed up with your job, and your employer later found out you lied about her situation, what would your boss do? The insurance company wouldn't care. This is purely an economic decision by your employer.
Appreciate 0