E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Yet another USB Retro Thread

09-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
minimac21234
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Yet another USB Retro Thread

Hey guys. I've been searching here for a few days now, and I am an avid user on forums. I'm having a really hard time finding a direct answer to installing usb input on my car. Here is what I know about my car, and I'm hoping I can find what I'm looking for. The stuff I have been looking into and searching are keywords like 6fl, usb retrofit, etc etc etc. I see posts that don't seem like they have the options I do. Here are the facts.

-2007 MY e92 335i coupe 6mt rwd (08/06 Production Date I Think)
-Sport Package and I believe Premium Package
-iDrive
-Bluetooth phone connection
-AUX input in the center console

What am I looking for to help you guys help me out? I know there is some sort of module in the trunk of my car under the carpet, but I am not sure if it's an ULF, MULF, or MULF2. Any input would be fantastic guys. Once again, I am sorry for the 10 millionth post about this topic. I tried searching before doing this, but I either just overlooked it, or with my lack of experience I am looking in the wrong directions. Thanks for all your help in advance.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

I have about the same setup in my '06 330i. The 6FL upgrade threads don't cover iDrive and since the bluetooth is part of the iDrive, the MULF, MULF2, whatever don't seem to apply.

I ended up going with the Dension 500 for mine. Works by emulating a CDC and using the built-in MP3 ID3 system, it works pretty seamlessly with the iDrive and you get all the sub-menus for Artist, Title, etc (no artwork though). I ran a USB extension cable from the Dension's spot in the trunk up into my console and retrofitted the USB/AUX connector from the 6FL package so I have a jack in my console to plug in a thumb drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I thought the Dension was the best way but

I thought the Dension was the best way but
Apparently there is a new way to do this by buying a new
professional head unit with USB bluetooth and possibly HD Radio
built in. (looks like a non idrive only solution)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330734121221

Last edited by ctuna; 09-09-2012 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

you'll need to remove the bracket holding the module under the trunk carpet to check on what it is. TCU is usually mounted on top of the bracket and MULF underneath the bracket but this is not a surefire way to ID the module. It's best to remove the 2 bolts holding the bracket in place and check the markings on the module.

Since you do not have USB but have bluetooth, most probably you have a TCU, especially if you have BMW SOS assist as well. TCU provides bluetooth functionalities as well.
Appreciate 0