E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Can someone teach me about software updates.

01-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
rallyegolf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325XI Wagon

Garage List
2006 325xit  [0.00]
Can someone teach me about software updates.

I had a "service engine soon" light come on because my wife did not put the gas cap on tight enough when she filled up the car last. Its a 2006 325XI by the way. Anyways, I took it to an independent mechanic and they plugged it in to clear the light and they told me I have 16 updates for the car. They said they can do all the updates and charge me 3 hrs labor to update everything.

Some of the updates they said were important and some were not a very big deal. I figured I would get them all done at once. Doesn't the dealer cover this? I don't pay apple to update my phone? Can I find another forum member and have them do this for me? Is it a tech only deal?

thanks guys.
      01-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

I thought the dealer was the only one that could perform software updates. Never heard of an independent being able to do that. I'd ask for a list of what those updates are.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
rallyegolf
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xit  [0.00]
He had the list printed out, but I did not want to ask for it because I didn't want them to think I was taking the car somewhere else to get them done. They ran everything for free. I'm assuming though, it is the last 16 updates for my car. I don't even know if the previous owner ever updated anything.
      01-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyegolf View Post
He had the list printed out, but I did not want to ask for it because I didn't want them to think I was taking the car somewhere else to get them done. They ran everything for free. I'm assuming though, it is the last 16 updates for my car. I don't even know if the previous owner ever updated anything.
I would like to know this as well. I have no idea what software my car has, how to check the version, or how to get the latest update. I have a feeling mine was never updated once out of original warranty. Even then I don't know if the car was updated while under warranty.

INFO please.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

The way the dealership deals with updates is if your VIN falls within the scope of the update and there is something wrong, they'll run the update. It's a pretty significant ordeal because it involves reprogramming all the modules. That's why it can take so long. Also, bear in mind that Apple does charge for iPod Touch updates. Or at lease they used to.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
rallyegolf
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xit  [0.00]
So do independent shops have access to the updates? They sure did sound like they knew what they were talking about. They said they download the update to "Alldata" and then update the car. I think it was AllData. Anyways, they said they usually charge an hr of labor per update, but sense I have so many they would do them all for 3 hrs. Some were stupid like radio update, but I figure I would just bust them all out at once.

You are saying they only do updates if your car pulls a code or something comes up wrong? that sounds like a lot of trips back to the shop just to get updates on something that could have been prevented?
      01-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

I had to fight with the dealer to do mine under warranty. He said it takes several hours to perform. I also wasn't aware anyone but BMW could do updates. Why don't you call a dealership and ask them if this is a possibility. Heck, call a few just to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

They reason dealers don't like doing updates without the car having any symptoms that would warrant the update is the fact that the update can create new problems. Dealers like to go by "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Remember, that's just the dealers philosophy, but I kinda understand. This car is a hodgepodge of modules all made by different brands and it can vary from car to car.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

eeeeek.... didn't know about the hodgepodge part. I had rough idle issues and I read from other members that the update solved that. In the end it was fuel pressure regulator plus the software update that was done so I can't tell what the software changed. It does apear that I have more options than before though when scrolling through the diagnostics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
They reason dealers don't like doing updates without the car having any symptoms that would warrant the update is the fact that the update can create new problems. Dealers like to go by "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Remember, that's just the dealers philosophy, but I kinda understand. This car is a hodgepodge of modules all made by different brands and it can vary from car to car.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #10
geekwilson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: R8.2012 335i.

hey mate i think you should go back to dealer in local.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
Crusader
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
The way the dealership deals with updates is if your VIN falls within the scope of the update and there is something wrong, they'll run the update. It's a pretty significant ordeal because it involves reprogramming all the modules. That's why it can take so long. Also, bear in mind that Apple does charge for iPod Touch updates. Or at lease they used to.
I've had ipods ever since the advent of the clickwheel, iphone too. I've had a number of software updates. Never paid for them.

I would think that any mods to the cars firmware would be part of the "free maintenance," which expires at 4 years/50,000 miles. Of course, it's likely that as for most maintenance beyond oil changes, the customer has to ask for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
ciscorob
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 sdrive35i

Flashing the cars computer is sort of a intensive process if you don't have the dealer specific equipment for it; however, there are companies that reverse engineer it and that is where performance flashes come into play

I would complain A LOT. The squeaky wheel gets the oil
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 04:26 AM   #13
T9Gjn
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

Do you know the cost for having these updates done?
      07-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

I do software updates. You can download the necessary files and programs off the Internet. I suggest only having it done if you are experiencing problems because they can be risky and time consuming. That's why dealers shy away from them. However updates to the transmission (AT) and DME sometimes come with important improvements.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:20 AM   #15
T9Gjn
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

After updaing the software, i stil had the same errors.
I replaced the alternator £550 + £100 to fit and all the errors seem to have gone.
Will let it sit for a month and then hopefully issue has been resolved.