E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > The not so fun parts of the N54

04-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #23
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Also, my theory is a cylinder with good injector/coil/coilpack can misfire because the each bank is related to each other. i.e. if #4misfires it could cause #5 to misfire, eventhough there is nothing wrong with #5.

Anyways...best of luck in your search, these are super frustrating.

Also there are old stock 261 injectors out there, just try looking on Ebay and calling up various dealers.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #24
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Also, my theory is a cylinder with good injector/coil/coilpack can misfire because the each bank is related to each other. i.e. if #4misfires it could cause #5 to misfire, eventhough there is nothing wrong with #5.

Anyways...best of luck in your search, these are super frustrating.

Also there are old stock 261 injectors out there, just try looking on Ebay and calling up various dealers.
Yea when I thought my cylinder 5 needed a new injector I bought two so now I have one as a spare. I can't imagine all need replacing though
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #25
ZTZ1010
Aficionado of All Things Vroom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
One of my friends who knows has a FBO meth 335i and knows a good amount about N54 thinks its carbon. I'm going to trust him and give that a try and if it doesn't run well i'll move to coils and plugs.

since that's me I'll just be obnoxious and say "It's carbon"...persistent cyl 5 misfires are indicative of that!

Retired:
'18 6MT AW F30 340x Drive | '15 6MT F80 M3| '11 AW DCT E92 M3| '09 6MT AW E90 335i| 08' 6MT E92 328xi
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #26
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTZ1010 View Post
since that's me I'll just be obnoxious and say "It's carbon"...persistent cyl 5 misfires are indicative of that!
Hahahah i was looking through all the codes and cyl 4 has happened just about every time. I swapped cyl 4 coil with 3 and cyl 5 coil with 2 just for fun today so we'll see what happens tomorrow. Regardless of what happens walnut blasting is scheduled for 18th at Autocouture or ACI if Bryce gets it sooner. After that it's onto all 6 plugs, all 6 coils, then all 6 injectors. Hopefully it's not injectors since I don't want to spend that money but we'll see. Gotta do what you gotta do I guess. Downside of driving a car that isn't stock
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #27
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Good luck man. I wouldn't have the patience for all those issues. Also not to put your hopes down but I didn't feel much of a difference after walnut blasting at 75k miles, regret spending that money on it. Hopefully it works for you before you light the car on fire lol
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #28
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
Good luck man. I wouldn't have the patience for all those issues. Also not to put your hopes down but I didn't feel much of a difference after walnut blasting at 75k miles, regret spending that money on it. Hopefully it works for you before you light the car on fire lol
Hahaha well even if it doesn't fix the misfires it definitely needs to be done. I run the car pretty hard and i'm sure the valves are gunked up. Idle is pretty rough too. I've put thought into it and i'm basically giving the car one last shot because my patience is running out. If I can't get it running 100% after all of this i'm going to look into parting it out and trying to find something else.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #29
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

dude change your coils, that's probably where the misfires are coming from (since you replaced injectors and plugs recently)

I could be wrong but I don't think walnut blasting will fix your misfires (the misfire likely originates from somewhere else; carbon buildup is just making the misfire worse), but it'll sure make your car idle smoother.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #30
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
dude change your coils, that's probably where the misfires are coming from (since you replaced injectors and plugs recently)

I could be wrong but I don't think walnut blasting will fix your misfires (the misfire likely originates from somewhere else; carbon buildup is just making the misfire worse), but it'll sure make your car idle smoother.
Don't think it's coils... Yesterday I swapped cyl 4 coil with 3 and cyl 5 with 2. Made the car misfire today and codes were cylinder 4 and 5 misfire.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #31
DMA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3~09 E92M3~03 E46M3

Had pretty much the same thing with Cylinder 5. Ended up doing valve cleaning and it was by far the worst clogged cylinder, just massive chunks of gunk on it. I however did end up replacing all injectors to the newest version (11) and all spark plugs. Car runs like a champ no more stupid codes and Im confident I can floor it. In retrospect I think it was only the clogged valves

IG:@DMAGARAGE - 2003 E46 M3 | 2009 E92 M3 | 2016 F80 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #32
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lE92l View Post
Had pretty much the same thing with Cylinder 5. Ended up doing valve cleaning and it was by far the worst clogged cylinder, just massive chunks of gunk on it. I however did end up replacing all injectors to the newest version (11) and all spark plugs. Car runs like a champ no more stupid codes and Im confident I can floor it. In retrospect I think it was only the clogged valve
Do you know if it was fixed after the valve cleaning or did you do all at the same time? I'm about to order new spark plugs cause I figure why not since they're not expensive.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #33
DMA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3~09 E92M3~03 E46M3

Quote:
Do you know if it was fixed after the valve cleaning or did you do all at the same time? I'm about to order new spark plugs cause I figure why not since they're not expensive.
I ended up doing all at the same time. But im pretty confident it was the valves. I swapped injectors from other cylinders, new coil, new spark plug still cyl 5 misfiring. So I went I little over kill and swapped all injectors but just wanted to the codes gone.

I would clean out the valves and get the new spark plugs. You might find a shop that can clean the existing injectors and replace the orings alot cheaper than buying new one; if you even need it at all.

IG:@DMAGARAGE - 2003 E46 M3 | 2009 E92 M3 | 2016 F80 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #34
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ended up doing all at the same time. But im pretty confident it was the valves. I swapped injectors from other cylinders, new coil, new spark plug still cyl 5 misfiring. So I went I little over kill and swapped all injectors but just wanted to the codes gone.

I would clean out the valves and get the new spark plugs. You might find a shop that can clean the existing injectors and replace the orings alot cheaper than buying new one; if you even need it at all.
The weird part about mine is cylinder 5 injector was swapped literally a few weeks ago not even a month... I have valve cleaning scheduled for May 18th and I just ordered the NGK one step colder plugs. Even if the plugs don't do it I still have wanted to try those plugs for a while so I figured why not. Even if plugs do fix it i'll still be doing valve cleaning since it's time. If neither fixes it i'll just be sad and most likely replace all 6 injectors
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #35
Eleventeen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

I'm willing to bet your rear O2 sensor on bank 2 is causing the problem. Have you noticed that almost every screen shot has shown this code for bank 2 (which happens to be the same bank all of your misfires are occurring in)? You aren't getting the O2 codes consistently in bank 1 though, so I doubt it is simply the DP's causing this. I also noticed a trim control code in bank 2, which could be O2 related. I would replace that, reset fuel trims, clear codes, and drive it around to see what if anything pops up.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #36
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleventeen View Post
I'm willing to bet your rear O2 sensor on bank 2 is causing the problem. Have you noticed that almost every screen shot has shown this code for bank 2 (which happens to be the same bank all of your misfires are occurring in)? You aren't getting the O2 codes consistently in bank 1 though, so I doubt it is simply the DP's causing this. I also noticed a trim control code in bank 2, which could be O2 related. I would replace that, reset fuel trims, clear codes, and drive it around to see what if anything pops up.
Terry brought up that idea yesterday and i'm starting to think that might be the case too. I think the downpipes are rubbing and that might be causing the issue. I am getting a ton of weird noises like rattles but not wastegates from that area. I originally ignored the o2 codes because I thought they were just from being catless and turning autoclear off but I do think that might be the issue... When it's at the shop i'm going to mention it and have them take a look. I also thought it couldn't be that since AFR's are fine in logs but Terry said they might look good in logs but be broken.... It might also explain the weird thing i've encountered twice. Twice after getting E85 the first pull in 2nd gear when I let off the gas the car backfired like it was a straight pipe subaru. So loud it scared the shit out of both myself and my passenger.... That would be from running too lean or rich, right?

On another note the code of the day today was Misfire cylinder 4. No multiple cylinders or o2 codes today. I will be up at the shop that does all the work normally may 11th (ACI Dynamix) and have them check out some stuff if they have time. I'm mainly going up to give my friend a ride there who's having coilovers installed but we'll check some things on my car too. Then May 18th I have an appointment for walnut blasting at Autocouture in NJ.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #37
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Terry brought up that idea yesterday and i'm starting to think that might be the case too. I think the downpipes are rubbing and that might be causing the issue. I am getting a ton of weird noises like rattles but not wastegates from that area. I originally ignored the o2 codes because I thought they were just from being catless and turning autoclear off but I do think that might be the issue... When it's at the shop i'm going to mention it and have them take a look. I also thought it couldn't be that since AFR's are fine in logs but Terry said they might look good in logs but be broken.... It might also explain the weird thing i've encountered twice. Twice after getting E85 the first pull in 2nd gear when I let off the gas the car backfired like it was a straight pipe subaru. So loud it scared the shit out of both myself and my passenger.... That would be from running too lean or rich, right?

On another note the code of the day today was Misfire cylinder 4. No multiple cylinders or o2 codes today. I will be up at the shop that does all the work normally may 11th (ACI Dynamix) and have them check out some stuff if they have time. I'm mainly going up to give my friend a ride there who's having coilovers installed but we'll check some things on my car too. Then May 18th I have an appointment for walnut blasting at Autocouture in NJ.
Hmm. I did suggest this first.....
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #38
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Hmm. I did suggest this first.....
Hahah I won't lie you did. That will be the first thing I have the shop check. Anyone have any idea how much the o2 sensor is and how long it takes to install? Trying to figure out cost
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #39
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Hahah I won't lie you did. That will be the first thing I have the shop check. Anyone have any idea how much the o2 sensor is and how long it takes to install? Trying to figure out cost
Labor is pretty straight forward, also you should really replace the O2's in pairs. I had issues when I didn't
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #40
fventura03
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

did you figure out your issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #41
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Had pretty much the same thing with Cylinder 5. Ended up doing valve cleaning and it was by far the worst clogged cylinder, just massive chunks of gunk on it. I however did end up replacing all injectors to the newest version (11) and all spark plugs. Car runs like a champ no more stupid codes and Im confident I can floor it. In retrospect I think it was only the clogged valves
May I ask how much did you pay for the 6 injectors, i got a quote for $1300 delivered (from germany to australia)

I have been getting stumbling issues, and misfires on bank 2 cyl 4-5-6 with the lambda bank 2 pre cat sensor popping up once...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834988
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #42
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
If you're swapping the coils and misfiring in the same cyl it's not the coils, but since you change the plugs 8k miles ago then fix your O2 sensors first. I had to do the same. I did it at the same time I had my valves cleaned with walnuts. It was my pre-cat bank 2 but I just changed both pre-cats bank 1 & 2 just in case.
I took mines to Autoculture as well in fairfield and had all 6 plugs, walnut blast, and O2 precats bank 1 & 2 replaced just because plugs are cheap and engine cover was already off for valve cleaning.
AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI + OCC | ETS 5 FMIC | Alpina B3 Trans Flash |235/265 19" Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #43
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Labor is pretty straight forward, also you should really replace the O2's in pairs. I had issues when I didn't
Yea i'll definitely do it in pairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fventura03 View Post
did you figure out your issue?
Not yet still working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltecBX View Post
If you're swapping the coils and misfiring in the same cyl it's not the coils, but since you change the plugs 8k miles ago then fix your O2 sensors first. I had to do the same. I did it at the same time I had my valves cleaned with walnuts. It was my pre-cat bank 2 but I just changed both pre-cats bank 1 & 2 just in case.
I took mines to Autoculture as well in fairfield and had all 6 plugs, walnut blast, and O2 precats bank 1 & 2 replaced just because plugs are cheap and engine cover was already off for valve cleaning.
You mean Autocouture in Fair Lawn? I ordered plugs which will be here today just cause I figured why not. It's cheap and easy to replace and I wanted to do the NGK's anyway. I'm going to have o2's be the first things that are checked though when its at the shop
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #44
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Got a question for you guys... So looking over the codes it appears that its the rear sensor behind where the cat would be. Now I know I shouldn't replace only 1 but do I have to replace all 4 or is it just the two rear pair? Hoping it's the latter because the o2 sensors on this car aren't that cheap.
Appreciate 0