E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New BMW 320d M Sport ordered today!

08-29-2009, 03:30 AM   #111
MrMajic
Rep
Drives: 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Hmm, that's not quite correct, it may be in some instances but when hooked up USB the head unit reads the files and decodes them, doing a digital to analogue conversion.

If you use the aux input you are relying on the quality of the MP3 player, which in the case of the ipod is not very good, even from the line level.

That is why Alpine made such a big thing about hooking up usb as did Wadia with their dock.

I think the USB connector is far better than the aux, you need decent high bitrate files and anything less than L7 system probably won't show the differences though, but the decoding of the files seems pretty good with the factory usb option.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 03:47 AM   #112
MrMajic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryF View Post
With voice what else are you expecting? bluetooth gives some basic voice input, allows you to store numbers to names etc. I think full voice control is a factory option no one buys

for AUX you say it's rubbish, you mean sound quality or the control?. if it's sound quality then the reason is your using the headphone out of the ipod instead of the dock connector, get a belkin cable that charges and provides sounds from ipod dock, sounds much better.

The usb option will provide no better sound that aux.

If you want to control the ipod there is a retrofit option I think, speak to the dealer, from what I recall there are limitations with it
Do you know that name of the cable, and can I get it in a shop or is it just online? I'd llike to get it this weekend. I guess it just goes out of the bottom of the ipod and connects into the AUX?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 04:30 AM   #113
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMajic View Post
Thanks. The manual lists a load of commands for voice, like navigation etc., but is this an option then?

It's the sound and the control that I'm not keen on, but if the belkin lead sorts out the sound that would be better. Do you still need to control via the ipod or does it bring the idrive into play?

Thanks for you help.
When you initiate the voice control, say 'option' (I think) and it should list what you can do with it. It'll keep you occupied for about 3 miunutes, then you'll never use it again.
      08-29-2009, 04:42 AM   #114
GarryF
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SSII E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Hmm, that's not quite correct, it may be in some instances but when hooked up USB the head unit reads the files and decodes them, doing a digital to analogue conversion.

If you use the aux input you are relying on the quality of the MP3 player, which in the case of the ipod is not very good, even from the line level.

That is why Alpine made such a big thing about hooking up usb as did Wadia with their dock.

I think the USB connector is far better than the aux, you need decent high bitrate files and anything less than L7 system probably won't show the differences though, but the decoding of the files seems pretty good with the factory usb option.
True if you use a usb stick/drive etc the car does the conversion, I did some tests and couldn't tell the difference myself but ymmv. I also found very erratic performance with 60GB of music getting it indexed, playlisted etc and crawled back to the ipod Was a year ago so things might be better and usb sticks are ok?

But to clarify if you use an ipod then you get a cable that comes out of the dock, the usb part carries out control and the line out goes via analogue, identical to what a non USB car would use, so if you wish to use an ipod in the car the sound will be the same whether or not it has usb?

All the usb does is allow you to control the ipod from steeringwheel, idrive etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 04:51 AM   #115
GarryF
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Do you know that name of the cable, and can I get it in a shop or is it just online? I'd llike to get it this weekend. I guess it just goes out of the bottom of the ipod and connects into the AUX?
I expect you can get it in currys/comet, dunno though, there's a few differnce people make them, this is the belkin one
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Auto-Ch.../dp/B00009KAPX
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 05:37 AM   #116
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Five pages already.....you have made an impact on the lads Lisa!

Welcome on board.

P.S. I didn't get the USB and am regretting it now oh I nearly forgot check out this http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288748 the NI coast road run...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 06:00 AM   #117
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
When's the first Northern Ireland Meet? Count me in
Now you have not read the official N.I. Meet rules.... Rule 379.01.9.098 only people allowed to participate on the official N.I. Meets are
a) persons with the surname Illingworth living in Dublin
2) persons called Lisa living in N.I.
Anyone else not allowed to partake!

Did I say welcome to the forum Lisa? Just kidding we all met up a few months ago for the first meet and we were all a little apprehensive (well I felt like a real car geek). But after a few cups of coffee we were like a group of friends who had known each other for years!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #118
MrMajic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
When you initiate the voice control, say 'option' (I think) and it should list what you can do with it. It'll keep you occupied for about 3 miunutes, then you'll never use it again.
Thanks - the car won't recpgnise anything other than "Dial number" or the other 'phone options. Should it do more, or is "full" voice an option?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #119
MrMajic
Rep

Quote:
I expect you can get it in currys/comet, dunno though, there's a few differnce people make them, this is the belkin one
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Auto-Ch.../dp/B00009KAPX
Thanks, I'm just weighing up whether this cable (about a tenner) is worth getting over the £300 or so glove box dock from BMW. The advantage being that the iDrive will control the ipod with the glove box cable and track names are displayed, I belive.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #120
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks - the car won't recpgnise anything other than "Dial number" or the other 'phone options. Should it do more, or is "full" voice an option?
The 'voice control' should allow you to make various commands having depressed the button on the steering wheel ranging from telephone, navigation, radio and air con. Admittedly I only ever used this function for mainly telephone CD/radio useage and the sat. nav. but point is, it did work. Have a read of the link below and also read through the 'related topics' shown on the right hand side of the 'page'. HTH.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ol_system.html
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #121
MrMajic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
The 'voice control' should allow you to make various commands having depressed the button on the steering wheel ranging from telephone, navigation, radio and air con. Admittedly I only ever used this function for mainly telephone CD/radio useage and the sat. nav. but point is, it did work. Have a read of the link below and also read through the 'related topics' shown on the right hand side of the 'page'. HTH.

Thanks, I'll try mine again, but no joy so far! I'll ask at the dealers next time.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #122
GarryF
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post

Seems a lot of variation on this

On my last E60 I had no nav but BT and got phone only voice control

320D at work has BT but no nav and phone only voice control

My M3 has voice control, but you can't store names like the systems above, it does speech recognision which kinda works.

1 year old X5 I've been in with pro nav etc, didn't have voice control specified but does have BT and has ZERO voice control, button is dead on the steering wheel

I'd bet with business nav you get the same as the 320D above, voice control of BT functions only
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #123
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by illingworth22 View Post
Five pages already.....you have made an impact on the lads Lisa!

Welcome on board.

P.S. I didn't get the USB and am regretting it now oh I nearly forgot check out this http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288748 the NI coast road run...
Welcome? Have you seen how old the original post is!
      08-30-2009, 02:52 AM   #124
MrMajic
Rep

Quote:
Seems a lot of variation on this

On my last E60 I had no nav but BT and got phone only voice control

320D at work has BT but no nav and phone only voice control

My M3 has voice control, but you can't store names like the systems above, it does speech recognision which kinda works.

1 year old X5 I've been in with pro nav etc, didn't have voice control specified but does have BT and has ZERO voice control, button is dead on the steering wheel

I'd bet with business nav you get the same as the 320D above, voice control of BT functions only
Hmm, I'll check that dealers, but it's looking that way. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #125
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Convertible E93

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you've worked out most of the 'guys' around here.

Good choice on the 320d E90. The spec sounds great and its good you got the USB option. I've got the convert in the 320D and I get 52MPG with some speed on top so early 50's should be achievable.

I take it that this is a company car and so mods are out of the question? If not however, I would recommend the sunglasses mod which converts the cig bin into a sunglasses holder and if you ever want a little more punch, get a remap.

I'm sure you'll love it!

Pete (For the record also under 30!!! )
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 07:08 AM   #126
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
LOL - I remember this thread from ages ago.

"Lisa's" last activity 02-16-2009 04:29 PM
      09-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #127
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Convertible E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Paul - View Post
LOL - I remember this thread from ages ago.

"Lisa's" last activity 02-16-2009 04:29 PM
Must be Carlos not washing again...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #128
MrMajic
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, I'll check that dealers, but it's looking that way. Thanks.
Thanks for the advice all. BWM customer services confirmed that I need to say "Help" to get the voice options - and it turns out that the ones available to me are just phone related.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 09:17 AM   #129
MrMajic
Rep

By the way, does anyone have an original brochure for the 320D M Edition M Sport touring? I'd love a copy if possible?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #130
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
By the way, does anyone have an original brochure for the 320D M Edition M Sport touring? I'd love a copy if possible?

There wasn't a brochure for it, just an additional price list to complement the standard brochure. You can buy my copy next August when I sell the car. It will cost around £16k and come with a free M Sport Edition Touring
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #131
MrMajic
Rep

lol, I hope mine hasn't halved in value after 2 year. Thanks anyway.
Appreciate 0