E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

06-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #375
wp326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I could not hear any ticking when I started the car at noon to went to Fremont BMW. I showed the recording to the shop foreman Gabe, the other shop foreman's name is "Burt". Apparently, i am the first person with this problem showing up at this dealer. I could not reproduce the ticking, so decided to leave the car overnite, and come back tomorrow morning. They will again try to reproduce the ticking when engine is cold.

Loaner is available if the car has problems AND they decide to diagnose it AND repair it, but only for 24hrs. Well, I will take the loaner, and return it after 24hrs, and then to drive my good old Honda. No loaner today, got a ride from a coworker.

The advisor says the ticking does not limit the driveability of the car, so my other option is to keep the car and wait until the parts come in for repair.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 12:29 AM   #376
Arrowhead
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Hey wp326, is your SA a "he" or "she"? I was also told that I am the first 325 with this problem showing up!! Mine was a stupid woman (I forgot her name) and u know what? On that day I also asked her "do I get one free oil change after one year?" She told me "No! Only get one when the indicator showed!" A SA doesn't know her own shi@#t that made me just don't want to go there anymore!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 11:16 AM   #377
wp326
Private First Class
Rep

My SA name is Henry Borders, the shop foreman that heard this ticking when i got there this morning, is Bert. Bert and I was talking as the engine was warming up, then he heard the ticking, said "it is the valvetronic". I thought BS, and kept on talking with Bert, he finally sat in the car, and told me "now I hear it", and the SA was with us, he heard it too.

BUT, the deal is this: "this noise does not make me wanna just dive right in and replace all the parts, (i beforehand, showed him the list of parts from the posts before), i will get "jeff", or some other name, one of the Factory Rep to come down here and listen to it." SA will call me one day in advance to bring the car.

the strange thing is, the noise was very quiet, until the engine warmed up. Wtf is this?

Yep, Henry told me i am the first 330i he knew that made this noise. Aren't we trend setters??
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 11:17 AM   #378
wp326
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Hey wp326, is your SA a "he" or "she"? I was also told that I am the first 325 with this problem showing up!! Mine was a stupid woman (I forgot her name) and u know what? On that day I also asked her "do I get one free oil change after one year?" She told me "No! Only get one when the indicator showed!" A SA doesn't know her own shi@#t that made me just don't want to go there anymore!
I see a lady when I was there. I try not to talk to ladies about car problems. In my mind, they are just out of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #379
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp326 View Post
I see a lady when I was there. I try not to talk to ladies about car problems. In my mind, they are just out of it.
... not true. Evaluate each person on their merits, not their gender.

BTW, 330i has exact same cylinder head as the 325i. Of course it should be susceptible to the same problem.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #380
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Added pictures - page 1

I added pictures of the N52 engine showing the valve lifters and their position in the engine. They are located in the original post on page one.

Click Here

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #381
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Ladies Wild

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
well as an update my car is still in the dealer, they are having a BMW tech thats specializes in escalated issues come in on tuesady to cjeck out the car, i will keep you posted on what happens as I get more info.
      07-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #382
wp326
Private First Class
Rep

Since i drove the car back from dealership, 5 days now, absolutely no ticking sound. Very strange. I hope it never comes back.

no work has been done on the engine yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 01:39 AM   #383
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I posted in this thread last winter and never replied back. Here's my situation.

I'm getting the exact same ticking noise like everyone else, and naturally everytime I take it to the dealer it doesn't do it. I've noticed if I don't drive my car on the interstate for a prolonged period of time, it'll do it: BUT ONLY WHEN ITS COLD.

It hasn't ticked since the weather warmed up. Regardless of interstate driving. I'm worried about this coming winter because if it starts ticking again, I have to drive to the interstate to get to the dealer for it to not tick! Anybody else have the same symptoms? No ticking in hot weather?
      07-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #384
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Well as an update on my situation since its the second time back in the dealer, they are replacing my cylinder head with a new modified cylinder head by BMW, it should allow more iol flow through out the engine. Thats what seems to be causing the tickling noise. the oil is not lubricationg enough and causing the hyrdraulic lifter to make that noise. all I know this is the second time the car is in the shop for the same problem, if it doesnt get fixed this time its a LEMON
      07-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #385
wp326
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Bimmer06 View Post
Well as an update on my situation since its the second time back in the dealer, they are replacing my cylinder head with a new modified cylinder head by BMW, it should allow more iol flow through out the engine. Thats what seems to be causing the tickling noise. the oil is not lubricationg enough and causing the hyrdraulic lifter to make that noise. all I know this is the second time the car is in the shop for the same problem, if it doesnt get fixed this time its a LEMON
Do you have more info on the "Modified Cylinder head"?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 08:46 AM   #386
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Unfortunately No, beacause i still havent recieved it yet.
      07-14-2007, 02:33 AM   #387
Arrowhead
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
BUT ONLY WHEN ITS COLD.
Anybody else have the same symptoms? No ticking in hot weather?
Hey Alpine, I am having the same issue.
My car started ticking since last Nov.-Dec. after I owned the car for 3 months:mad: and it just stopped ticking since April 'til now. Wish it never comes back! We'll see when the Winter come!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2007, 05:16 AM   #388
sillygoat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i tiag

i put oil in and the noise went away. try it.. idk if its the same noise you guys have
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 07:46 AM   #389
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Ok my car goes in today for that last time to fix the hydraulic lifters, if it doesnt fix it this time, it will be a lemon. i will keep ypu updated as to wether this will solv the issue or not. They are replacing my cylinder head with a new one.
      07-20-2007, 03:00 AM   #390
hzdream
Canada
Rep
Drives: Red '07 328xiT

My 328xiT developed a ticking noise about 2 months ago. BMW replaced the exhaust hydraulic valve lifters. The ticking returned so I took the car in again assuming that the intake lifters had failed. I received a call today to inform me that BMW has approved the replacement of the entire cylinder head. The explanation is that there is a back flow valve in the head that keeps the oil from entirely draining to the sump when the engine is turned off. This valve seems to have failed or is not working correctly and BMW wants the head returned to the factory to diagnose the problem.

While I am impressed with the no nonsense replacement, I am not happy that a major component of a new engine requires replacement. My general experience, though not with BMW, is that when major components are opened multiple minor problems follow.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 05:00 AM   #391
Babe
Test here
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzdream View Post
My 328xiT developed a ticking noise about 2 months ago. BMW replaced the exhaust hydraulic valve lifters. The ticking returned so I took the car in again assuming that the intake lifters had failed. I received a call today to inform me that BMW has approved the replacement of the entire cylinder head. The explanation is that there is a back flow valve in the head that keeps the oil from entirely draining to the sump when the engine is turned off. This valve seems to have failed or is not working correctly and BMW wants the head returned to the factory to diagnose the problem.

While I am impressed with the no nonsense replacement, I am not happy that a major component of a new engine requires replacement. My general experience, though not with BMW, is that when major components are opened multiple minor problems follow.

Hello
What is your build date and when do you here this noise. got me worried too.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #392
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzdream View Post

the dealer just called me, and told me that my car is ready. BMW had the dealer replace the whole cylinder head. they say this should be the answer to the metalic ticking noise. All I know if it doesnt get fixed this time, It will be a lemon. The cylinder head was customized by BMW which allows the valves to drain the oil back into the pan, and also let the oil circulate more through out the engine, therefore eliminating the Metalic Ticking Noise.
      07-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #393
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

End result is your new fix working?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2007, 09:13 AM   #394
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
End result is your new fix working?
So Far so good.
      07-27-2007, 11:37 PM   #395
hzdream
Canada
Rep
Drives: Red '07 328xiT

Build date was late September 2007 and I pick it up from the shop tomorrow. The car has very low mileage, about 8,000km (5,000 miles). I'll give it a month and let you know if changing the cylinder head is a fix that works.

When it originally started to tick we first heard it only when cold then over a couple of weeks most any time. When it started again we took it in immediately. It's a BMW, which is built around the engine! An engine with close tolerances does not tick and any such ticking is a symptom of a mechanical failure or maladjustment. In either case, if unattended greater mechanical damage can be expected thus BMW’s replacement of the entire cylinder head assembly.

Look at the drawings at the very start of this thread. The purpose of the hydraulic lifters is to be pressurized by the engine oil pressure and to lengthen so that they keep the rocker arms and followers in constant contact at a constant pressure with the cam shaft and the VANOS components. They also take up the slack as these surfaces wear slowly over time. Without this constant pressure 1) the surfaces collide – tick 2) surfaces get hammered to a greater hardness and an uneven surface 3) these “rough surfaces” heat-up, get soft and the wear becomes rapid 4) the VANOS can no longer open and close the valves with the intended accurate timing 5) the valves open less and 5) gas mileage and performance drop. Obviously a little ticking is not a minor problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 12:52 AM   #396
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
As of now, I am on the new Cylinder head, and it seems to be working just fine, Yet again its only been a couple of days. I can only wait and see what happens, if anything even happens at all this time.