E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Order of applying updated Zaino products

06-30-2006, 07:32 AM   #1
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
Order of applying updated Zaino products

Finally ordered the zaino kit after months of procrastinating and posting questions about it. Since the new z5 pro now comes with it, I have a question about the order of doing things. I'm going to post the order I'm going to use the products - and would much appreciate feedback on whether this is viable, best practice, will work, etc. I plan on taking all day Sat to do this....

1) Wash the car 2x with z7 - leave wet for step #2
2) Clay w/ z7 dilute
3) Wash w/ Dawn - dry car
4) Coat of z5pro w/ zfx
5) coat of z6
6) Coat of z2pro w/zfx
7) coat of z6
8) 2nd coat of z2pro w/zfx
9) Coat of z6

I based this off of reading mulitple threads and suggestions. Any feedback would be much much appreciated. I plan on using zaino applicators and MF towels for all this work. Do I need to switch the applicator pad between coats - what about the buffing towels?

Last question - what's the best medium to use to apply z6? MF towel?

Thanks,
-kobechrome
      06-30-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Everything looks good, except I would flip-flop #1 and #3. Do the Dawn wash first (just one), then clay, then do a Z7 wash (only one is needed, not two), then continue with the rest as you have it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I might recommend you do the first wash with Dawn and then do a second wash with Z-7 using that as your clay lube. That way you're doing essentially 3 steps in 2 (Dawn, Clay and Z-7 wash). I've never had any problems with this approach. David's suggestion is spot on as well. You don't mention any polishing or buffing before your Z5 or Z2 Pro's and that's OK - just an observation.

I recommend using 1 applicator per coat of Z and change to a new applicator for each subsequent layer. If you don't have that many, use 1 side of the applicator per layer and then use the the other clean side for the next layer. From what your planning use 1 app for the Z5 and 2 for the Z2 or if you only have 2 app's use 1 per product. Also, keep an eye on the applicator and make sure it is clean for EACH section you apply the polish to. Keep your layers THIN!!!

I use MF for both removing the hazed polish and applying Z-6 in between. I use about 2-3 towels to remove the polish and a new towel for each Z-6 layer. I will admit I have a poopload of MF towels and grab a fresh towel maybe more often than I need at times but I like the insurance of a clean towel. Depending on your inventory of towels you can get away with a few for buffing off dried product and maybe one for the Z-6. Just be sure to check them every so often to insure they haven't picked anything up along the way.

Have fun dude.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2006, 12:20 AM   #4
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks - just a few more questions - not sure if I can get answers before I start

Since I'm applying one coat of z5 pro and 2 coats of z2 pro - I need 2 vials correct? Wouldn't I be wasting z5pro if I only apply one coat but use a whole ounce of it?

Can I apply more than 3 coats in one day - let's say 2 coats of z5 pro and 2 coats of z2pro... some have said no more than 3 in a day.

ALso what's the pro and con of applying z5pro first and THEN z2pro or vice versa?
      07-01-2006, 04:09 AM   #5
hunt55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

I would apply Z5 Pro twice/three times in one day (long day) and Z6. How much you can do in a day will depend on temperature and humidity. You also can mix enough with ZFX for the day. I would then apply Z2 in about a week. I find Z2 is great as a follow up wax to Z5.

I concur reversing steps 1&3 per Zaino's instructions. It worked for me on three cars (Monaco Blue 06 BMW, 05 VW and 02 Honda)

Just my methods.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2006, 09:12 PM   #6
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

The only other thing I can add after having done 6 layers and 3 washes in the last 24 hours?

Steroids!! Damn my right shoulder is sore!!!

(But my car looks new!)

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2006, 01:56 AM   #7
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Same... I went from 10am - 4pm with a few 10 min breaks in between. I can't move my right arm above my shoulder right now. For my first time ever, I'm pretty happy. I had a slight misjudgement on the amount I would need but all in all - the car came out nice. I'll post pictures in a different thread.

I modified my steps slightly:

1) Dawned the entire car.
2) Left the car wet and started claying with a z7 diluted mixture in a spray bottle. The clay didn't seem to pick up as much as I thought.
3) Washed the car again with Z7. Cleaned wheels. Dried car with blotting MF waffle weave towels.
4) Applied one layer of Z5 Pro with ZFX. Buffed off after about 10 minutes.
5) Wiped down car with Z6.
6) Applied second layer of Z5 Pro with ZFX.
7) Applied 3rd layer of Z5 Pro on hood, roof, and front side panels only (ran out of mixture at this point).
7) Wiped down car with Z6.
8) Applied first layer of Z2 Pro.
9) Wiped down car with Z6.
10) Windexed all windows.

I'll write this up for newbies later in more detail for first-timers. I think there are alot of little tricks and hints which I will do differently next time. I wanted to get Z5 Pro coats on as a base. It's very reflective but has alotta depth as well. I'll add more Z2 Pro coats in later weeks as I didn't want to apply more than 3-3.5 coats in one day.