E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > What is the best 4-door streetable track car?

05-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #23
not2fast
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan - Alpine W

I instructed someone in a Lamborghini Gallardo about 5 years ago when I was attending more track days and we didn't have problems. It was a cool day. So when reading posts I don't get a comfroting feeling that a good oil cooler will fix the 335's problems. I like the power pretty much as is stock and would just want to upgrade the handling. Durability and handling would be more important then pure power.

Last edited by not2fast; 05-31-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #24
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

I used to track an 08 z06 quite a lot and it never overheated, so bs on that comment.
Trying to have a dual purpose car is tough, because a car cant be both a street car and race car, if it does one well it will fall short at the other. The best obviously is to have a dedicated track car. I personally would prefer an n/a car, as it would be the coolest and have the most endurance.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #25
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Well... Back on topic..... what are your requirements other than 4 doors? What kind of power are you looking for and whats your budget?

An e36 M3 is pretty awesome, but like you say they are a little long in the tooth and will likely have some maint. needs, but that should be factored in when buying used, just a higher work order the older you go. Want more power? What about an e39 M5... those are pricey to keep going too, but pretty much rock solid 400 hp/4000lb beasts.

An NA e90... us 330i guys will tell you how awesome they are so I won't go on and on- cooling concerns? Really? Other than the elec water pump that will go when it feels like- heep a spare in the trunk- gotta do it, but thats the case with any elec water pump. Or a 335i with a stick and cooling upgrade (rad? Fan switch? Not familiar with the platform, sorry). Either case just looking at 1% more weight than an e36, but a stiffer structure to go along so you don't have to worry about subframe ripps or three wheel motion on sticky tires.

E90 M3..... Jesus H... best of all worlds. Unholy sound, gobs of power, utility for the 99.2% of the time when you aren't at a track school. Yeah, it's a pig on gas, but they seem to be pretty damn reliable. I'm hoping the new car puts the lci under 30k to replace my 330i (which will stay in the fam, I love that damn car). Simple mods just like the rest...pull the alignment pins to save the front tires from roasting, get rid of the front cats and a tune. Awesome car, truly the Goldy Lox, or whatever that broad's name is. The CTS V is a bitchin camaro/g6/gto yada yada with a motor that won't quit but at 4200 lbs it's kind of a pig. If it was 10% lighter I would buy a wagon with a stick in a heart beat over an e90 m3 for my next ride. They're awesome cars.

Anyone mention an e60 M5? The prices on those cars have TANKED. A guy a few blocks from me who plays for our hockey team (Meaning right now he plays charity golf :eyeroll has an Interlagos Blue e60 M5. Sex on wheels. A bitch to keep up people say, but I feel like if it doesn't have nav and smg and other pricey/needless options it can keep the costs down. A pig on gas no matter what though.
      06-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #26
SloppyJoe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwong View Post
Yes...unfortunately.

And regarding NA overheating issue, it does happen. I was instructing a student in a Lamborghini Gallardo earlier this month. The ambient temp got up to upper 90s. My student was not pushing very hard, and the car overheated, and went into limp mode. When we exited the track, coolant was pouring out of the bottom of the car.
Was it at Chuckwalla with Extreme speed? I saw a Lamborghini with smoke coming back to the pit. I heard he had to get it towed.

2007 Montego Blue E92 335i
Procede V5, Injen DCI, VK Catless Downpipe, Helix Intercooler, STETT oil cooler, Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #27
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
E90 M3..... Jesus H... best of all worlds. Unholy sound, gobs of power, utility for the 99.2% of the time when you aren't at a track school. Yeah, it's a pig on gas, but they seem to be pretty damn reliable.
Key word here: seem. The jury is still out on this. Having to rev to 8,500rpms to get that unholy power isn't very nice to the longevity of your motor. Particularly your bearings, which are known to go out with track use on their engines. Crank, Rod, and Main Bearings.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #28
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloppyJoe View Post
Was it at Chuckwalla with Extreme speed? I saw a Lamborghini with smoke coming back to the pit. I heard he had to get it towed.
Yup...were you the guy I spoke to at the paddock?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #29
odariel
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: M3 DKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.c View Post
I think E90 M3 is one of the best dual-duty cars out there. You can track this basically out of the box, except maybe some track pads and fluid. If you're worried about crashing, track insurances can help you out for a reasonable cost. If you're worried about reliability, CPO or third party warranty.

That said, have you tracked your 335i? If so, have you come across overheating? If not, you should try it and see what happens. Everyone's driving style differs, and there are good & bad batches of 335i's, so I think it's worth a try to save all that time and money to get another car.

335i can be a beast at the track. A good driver will wipe the smiles off of many M owners' faces.
+1
They don't overheat and the suspension system is much better than on a 335i. I think it is perfect for the track days... and why are you worried about reliability?? is an V8 naturally aspirated.. no turbos to break! If i lived in the States, with those gas prices you have there, i would have gotten an M3...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #30
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

E90 M3 hands down. I've put over 50k on the odometer and am right around 60 track days in a little over 3 years. Never a problem on the track...NEVER... and it's my wife's DD. The only real upgrade necessary is brakes (pads, fluid & lines). Nothing better than pulling up in a sedan, pulling out the car seats on the back, and playing with purpose built sport/race cars. It really is a well engineered product
      06-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #31
JMK007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 M Sport, RWD

An E90 M3 is a solid choice, along with an e36 M3. Alternatives that have not been discussed are the Mark 6 GTI if you are open to front wheel drive and F30 328i if you want something really new. The GTI is surprisingly capable, fun, and reliable on track with just aftermarket sways and stage 1 software. For all wheel drive, the VW R20 is also a good choice. I have not tracked my 328i yet but all reviews in the tracking forum for this car are very positive (which includes no cooling problems, despite being a turbo). I am tracking mine for the first time at Gingerman in two weeks.
Midwestern Council TT Champion, BS, ‘17 BRZ, ‘19
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #32
Fortune335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 AW 335i Coupe

I don't understand anything your saying not2fast, you want to just drive a stock car on the track and not worry about anything going wrong... your complaining about issues with cars when you push them to hard on any stock car that everyone is listing for you to get, your 335i is fine for the track when you make it track ready, no car really unless you spend a lot of money will be ready for the track out of the factory, and if It is you can always do something to make it better and have a better chance of nothing going wrong when your out there pushing it. so if you don't want to track your 335i, because you have to buy an oil cooler to prevent it maybe going into limp mode that's retarded, why track a car period if you don't want to buy the supporting mods to make it suitable for the track.. sounds retarded to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #33
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Whatever you decide, make sure you consider how much consumables cost. figure a second set of wheels and tires, and regular brake changes. Have you seen how much M3 brakes cost? and are you planning on tracking a stock vehicle? How much are all those mods going to cost?

Honestly, if you are planning on having two cars, I'd go for a more dedicated track car, probably used, and isn't going to kill your bank account on modifying it, or when you need to replace tires brake pads and rotors every season.

you don't need a newer luxury car for the track, your other car is your sensible and comfortable daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #34
Ubersmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

If you can afford an E90 M3 sedan, I'd consider a C63 sedan, a CTS-V (wagons ) and according to my neighbor, his porsche panamera gts does fairly well out on the track and the times he has to drive around his in laws.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #35
denlin68
台妹爱我
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2012 Evolution X

Since u want 4 door track car out the box I choose ...

E90 M3 or an EVO X if you like it raw
2012 Mitsubishi Evolution X Current
2013 BMWX1 xDrive28i Current
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 01:28 AM   #36
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2fast View Post
I didn't think a E90 328i would need a cooler. I would think NA wouldn't require it. It seems so off that my 20 year old MR2 Turbo pushing 250rwhp doesn't overheat in 20 minute sessions. I would think the cooling would be so much hard with it being mid engine.
you just said the mr2 was lacking in power, why would you get a 328 ?
      10-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #37
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by will.c View Post
I think E90 M3 is one of the best dual-duty cars out there. You can track this basically out of the box, except maybe some track pads and fluid. If you're worried about crashing, track insurances can help you out for a reasonable cost. If you're worried about reliability, CPO or third party warranty.

That said, have you tracked your 335i? If so, have you come across overheating? If not, you should try it and see what happens. Everyone's driving style differs, and there are good & bad batches of 335i's, so I think it's worth a try to save all that time and money to get another car.

335i can be a beast at the track. A good driver will wipe the smiles off of many M owners' faces.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 87ss View Post
From my experience the n52 does not suffer from overheating issues on the track auto or manual... Unfortunately on the track I find myself somewhat bored with the lack of power from the N52 even worse on the street...
+1, never had overheating issues on my n52 and it's seen plenty of hot weather track days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
+1! I don't know what people are talking about, but I saw a 328I overheat a few months ago at black hawk farms when it was 50F out!
Maybe the owner was overdue for water pump & tstat chanage
      11-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #38
ddanj
yoroshku
Rep
Drives: Sinister DNA

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
How about a 2008+ Lancer Evo? 4 doors. I always read and hear that they are track beasts.
Appreciate 0