E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Condition Based Service (CBS)

11-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Condition Based Service (CBS)

I've owned the car for about a year now (363 days) and it has never asked for an oil change. I have about 10k miles on it. I know that BMW will pay for an oil change every year even if the car does not ask for it, but I have a few questions about this:

I had my iDrive (CIC) replaced in the summer because I got that brick red screen. After they did this, all my service intervals were reset. Before this, my car was asking for an oil change in 3k miles. After they put in the new CIC, it went up to 7k miles, but the condition based service is around 17%.

Based on the CBS reminder, at what percentage does BMW change the oil for free? Does the percentage have to reach 0% before a service is requested?

For those of you that have a diagnostics tool and have access to change the CBS value: can't you change that value to 0% whenever you please and thus have BMW do an oil change when you want? Say once every six months?
      11-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
gearhead125
Registered
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

After replacing your CIC the vehicle must be programmed/encoded, this sometime may corrupt CBS data. But you if your car is at least one year from its in service date ie: pre-delivery inspection they can perform a annual oil service under maintenance warranty. Also when u look at your cbs data it may say 7k til due but there should also be a date, i believe if its within 2 months of the date they can perform the service even tho it has not hit mileage yet
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
It's usually 15K intervals....depending on driving habits.

Regardless, it sounds like your oil needed to be changed awhile ago. I would swap your brake fluid as well.

In fact I would swap all CBS fluids just so you know the age of them. The dealer should have records of your service appointments but I can adjust some of the values with my BT scan tool.....the dealer should have set them correctly.

Also if you intend on keeping the car past 100K, I would change those BS 15K oil change intervals between 5-8K. I swap mine every 5-6K.

EDIT: I saw your question after I posted. I guess you could but your dealer would catch on because they usually record mileage and such on their records. Also your SA would probably notice the frequent changes and void your warranty for trying to manipulate it....basically you are stealing. And I would bet the dealer would flag your car which=no service from an BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0