E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Dealing with bad drivers

09-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

Dealing with bad drivers

Although in some ways BMW drivers are considered bad, I'm sure that it's only due to a couple of bad apples.

Anyway, I'm wondering how you all think one should react to others' bad driving behavior, especially those that almost lead to an accident. If we don't do anything, nothing will change. If we press the horn, road rage may occur.

Here's what I experienced recently: I was driving down the 2-lane suburban street around 40 mph in 35 mph zone. I was in the right lane, which was pretty open, while the left lane was all clogged up. Suddenly a car from the left lane cut right in front of me, almost leading to an accident. I pressed the horn to alarm that driver. That driver flipped me. I pressed the horn again, and later that car moved to side of me and we got into a shouting match.

Granted, it wasn't an elegant situation, and I could easily provoke someone with a gun under the seat. My plan is to flash the lights in the future, to make a point but not too strong. And watch the traffic flow more carefully, prepare for those idiots.
      09-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
louz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 Roadster

We all see our share of bad drivers. I try to follow the rules, don't speak don't make eye contact. Ya see I live in Florida and in Florida everyone carries a gun.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
u drive bmw, then u own the road. nuff said
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
A very deep breath before you do anything drastic does a lot of good. There are lost of stupid drivers on the road. Don't waste your time getting worked up about others.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
im spencer
Back in the f80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I dont know man chances are people who do those kinds of things wouldnt just do something like that sporadically unless they do it habitually. Just gotta let them know wuts up, in my case I would pop a double honk and go about my business.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Pretty dumb on your part to be driving that fast while the left lane is clogged up. You should have known someone was going to cut you off, that's how my brother got into an accident. There's NOTHING you can do about the idiots on the road. But there is something you can do to protect yourself. It's called defensive driving - practice it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars4lyfe View Post
I give people the benefit of the doubt. I know that we all make mistakes and sometimes drivers aren't really intentionally cutting you off, they probably just forgot to check the mirrors. You just have to be aware of your surrounding and always make sure you have the right of way in case, God forbid, you get into an accident (which you couldn't avoid) so their insurance pays. In the end, you just have to be patient-it's really the best weapon in today's world. Otherwise you're going to spend lots of miserable days which will include broken bones, scars, jail, lawyers, etc... Life is too short for BS.
You make it sound like that's no big deal. That's how this stupid little 16 year old bitch fucked up the side of one of our cars in a parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The fact that you got the finger means this is a habitual idiot driver, props for the honk. THEN you should have let it go.

I have this convo constantly in the car with my wife.
She "All you do is yell at us, we're the only ones who have to listen to you"
Me "It is my duty to point out to them that they are driving wrong, otherwise it continues"
She ". . . "
Me ". . . "
. . . . . .
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
miktrebla09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: biped

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
Pretty dumb on your part to be driving that fast while the left lane is clogged up. You should have known someone was going to cut you off, that's how my brother got into an accident. There's NOTHING you can do about the idiots on the road. But there is something you can do to protect yourself. It's called defensive driving - practice it.
Ditto. Always have the mentality that you have more to lose than the next guy.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

Yeah I agree that it's better to be safe and let it go. No need to have some idiot driving an old beater ruining the bimmer. I have a friend who got into a fist fight with someone after honking.

I'll also make sure to have the headlights on more often.
      09-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
famicom
Rep
Drives: '06 Alpine White 330xi

flip him off, downshift, cut him off, hose him down with your washer fluid, laugh.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #12
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars4lyfe View Post
Anything can be a big deal if you let yourself get worked up over it. Count your blessings and be happy you have your life, health, family and friends. A car can be fixed and/or replaced. Be happy the stupid little 16 year old bitch didn't run you over while you were walking to your car.

I just think everything happens for a reason. If you see things as bad, you should be grateful because they are probably good for you; you just don't see it.
What I mean by "big deal" is that not checking your wingmirrors on accident or by being lazy can cause a HUGE accident.

Yeah that girl didn't check her wingmirror because she is a 16 year old girl.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #13
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I hold the horn down for 10 seconds when someone does something I really find stupid or hazardous to my person. Long enough to stop the quick reply and make em think. Short enough so that I won't get shot for being too much of a dick.

Basically, holding the horn down any number of seconds longer than the typical beep will suffice. But for real idiots I put alittle extra into it.

I'll admit though, I do profile a car before I do it. If the poeple driving looks like they could potentially flip out on me, I'll pass. As in all things, its important to choose your battles wisely. You can't fix everyone's bad driving habits.
      09-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
InS0mNiAc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335I Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I hold the horn down for 10 seconds when someone does something I really find stupid or hazardous to my person. Long enough to stop the quick reply and make em think. Short enough so that I won't get shot for being too much of a dick.

Basically, holding the horn down any number of seconds longer than the typical beep will suffice. But for real idiots I put alittle extra into it.

I'll admit though, I do profile a car before I do it. If the poeple driving looks like they could potentially flip out on me, I'll pass. As in all things, its important to choose your battles wisely. You can't fix everyone's bad driving habits.
LOL dude you hold your horn down for 10 seconds and think it's average?

The other drivers are right, you are a dick
      09-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #15
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

When did I ever say I thought 10 seconds was average? The topic of average horn expenditure is not even touched in my comment.

Obviously the point of the excercise is to hold the horn down for an exuberant amount of time. I think its hilarious.

And yes, I am a dick. Do I care? Not even alittle. Life is too short to try to appease poeple I don't know or even care about, and this is only in reaction to a blatantly stupid maneuver mind you.
      09-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #16
InS0mNiAc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335I Montego Blue

Quote:
When did I ever say I thought 10 seconds were average?

Obviously the point of the excercise is to hold the horn down for an exuberant amount of time. I think its hilarious.

And yes, I am a dick. Do I care? Not even alittle.
Well I look at it this way, when I'm driving and hear someone holding their horn down...I think they're a dick no matter what the situation is. Holding your horn down is annoying for everyone on the road, especially those that don't care about your interaction with another driver.

But I do see your point, I'm an asshole and do I care? Not even a little
      09-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #17
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

It's not like this is a daily habit by any means. I think the last time I did it was months ago. Plus, I usually smile in a half laughing kind of manor while I do it. But its good for a few laughs here and there when an opportune moment is at hand.

And I see what you did there.
      09-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #18
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
I am a dick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InS0mNiAc View Post
I'm an asshole.
Dick, meet Asshole. Asshole, meet Dick.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #19
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

This is a life lesson worth following!

Quote:
There's three kinds of people: dicks, pussies, and assholes. Pussies think everyone can get along, and dicks just want to fuck all the time without thinking it through. But then you got your assholes, Chuck. And all the assholes want is to shit all over everything! So, pussies may get mad at dicks once in a while, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes, Chuck. And if they didn't fuck the assholes, you know what you'd get? You'd get your dick and your pussy all covered in shit!
Compliments of Team America.
      09-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #20
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Part 2, just because it's that good.

Quote:
We're dicks! We're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And the Film Actors Guild are pussies. And Kim Jong Il is an asshole. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes: assholes that just want to shit on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of shit that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us fuck this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in shit!