E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Retrofit Flappy Paddles?

12-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #133
jammy78
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Well done to those that have done this retrofit!

The issue is probably due to the steering wheel buttons, as when I changed mine.... the paddles didn't work (my paddles were factory fit)! So you need to ensure your buttons are the correct ones!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #134
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325I LCI E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy78 View Post

The issue is probably due to the steering wheel buttons, as when I changed mine.... the paddles didn't work (my paddles were factory fit)! So you need to ensure your buttons are the correct ones!
thats the isse, ive just been searchin on real oem and i cant see the part nimber for the buttlon as they come with the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #135
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep

by the way ive got lci buttons and paddles from a 2011 lci e92, the paddles were modded and i have them wired directly as they werent workin ata ll when connected to the buttons. now they work in ds mode only

what i think is, as the button are from a lci which is RESISTANCE BASED they wont function corectly as ive modded the buttons back the switch based...

any thoughts anyone??
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #136
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

hmm dont think the buttons are problem to be honest
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #137
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 LCI DCT & F01 730d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy78

When I changed mine it said to use the buttons from the steering wheel that was already on the car and put them in the replacement wheel with the flappy paddles. The connection for each of the paddles then doesn't go into the back of the steering wheel switch module because they are blank (or were in my case).

I have been told by more than one person that if different switches are used in the steering wheel to those that came with the car then they will individually need coding to the car again - something I cannot do myself and would have cost a small fortune from my local Indy.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 01:08 AM   #138
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerset Jim View Post
When I changed mine it said to use the buttons from the steering wheel that was already on the car and put them in the replacement wheel with the flappy paddles. The connection for each of the paddles then doesn't go into the back of the steering wheel switch module because they are blank (or were in my case).

I have been told by more than one person that if different switches are used in the steering wheel to those that came with the car then they will individually need coding to the car again - something I cannot do myself and would have cost a small fortune from my local Indy.
interesting, and what year car do you have, how did u made the connection and are you able to shift in d mode?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 01:17 AM   #139
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Multi-function steering wheel buttons are different for LCI and Pre-LCI button.
As stated earlier, you should retain your OEM buttons in any case.

And yes, this method is by passing the multi-function button and you are connecting it directly to the wiring of gear box and hence it will not work in D mode. Also, none of you have done the coding with direct connection, therefore it will not work in D mode.
      12-31-2014, 02:38 AM   #140
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post

And yes, this method is by passing the multi-function button and you are connecting it directly to the wiring of gear box and hence it will not work in D mode. Also, none of you have done the coding with direct connection, therefore it will not work in D mode.
Thanks for the info. I have my original buttons at home, but as i didnt have paddles before the conectors for the padles are blank. Can you please advise me on how to get these workin in d mode!? What do i need to code, or wht buttons i need. Please
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 02:45 AM   #141
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
Plan was to try it when I fit in your car but that has changed as you know.
Quote:

More than happy for you to have a "Play" with mine when i come up to see you for the Alpine upgrade.

Have sent you an email with the latest on the Knee!

Steve
      12-31-2014, 05:34 AM   #142
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep

Rite so ive just taken my lci mf buttons off and now ive got them next to my original button. Only physical dififference is the originals are missin pins 4&6. Makkon00 can you advise me on ehat needs to be done?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #143
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajandrifter View Post
interesting, and what year car do you have, how did u made the connection and are you able to shift in d mode?
Car is a 2006 year and I made the pins from the connection from a dvd drive to the motherboard of a computer wire.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 12:39 PM   #144
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Does this mean that with the direct connection coding it will work in D mode Sam?

If so I would be keen to have this done
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #145
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep

Ive spend all day tryin different solutions still not shifting in d mode. I have the modded lci paddles connected directly as my mf buttons are blank on the paddles conenctions. SOMEONE MUST KNOW HOW TO ENABLE SHIFTIN IN D MODE.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 03:52 PM   #146
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ive spend all day tryin different solutions still not shifting in d mode. I have the modded lci paddles connected directly as my mf buttons are blank on the paddles conenctions. SOMEONE MUST KNOW HOW TO ENABLE SHIFTIN IN D MODE.
I was under the impression that they should just work straight away if it's an LCI model. Keep us posted when you find out why it isn't.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #147
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerset Jim View Post
I was under the impression that they should just work straight away if it's an LCI model. Keep us posted when you find out why it isn't.
No no, my car is a 2007 pre lci model, i manage to get a LCI M SPORTWHEEL WITH PADDLES. I had them moded to remover the resistors. Now they work on a switch basis, but ONLY IN DS MODE.

So far ive change my jbbe module to a 2009 model with 2011 software. Still no shifting in d mode, ive changed the mf buttons and still nothing.

Ive added 7xa to my vo and coded the egs module to enable paddle shifter but still no shifting n d mode.

Ive then coded the egs module options to WERT_00 from WERT_02 which changes "PADDLES RESISTANCE BASED WITH STEPTRONIC" to PADDLES SWITCHED BASED.

Still not shifting in D mode. Really really frustrating as ive been trying all sort for the past 2 months.

Think ill jist get the burgertuning kit and see.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #148
litany
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 330dA M57NA

Try $2XA
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #149
jammy78
Colonel
Rep

Makkan told you.... the LCI steering buttons with paddles are not compatible with pre LCi cars! I had the same issue when I swapped my wheel with a LCI.... paddles didn't work. I installed my original buttons & they worked.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #150
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Makkan told you.... the LCI steering buttons with paddles are not compatible with pre LCi cars! I had the same issue when I swapped my wheel with a LCI.... paddles didn't work. I installed my original buttons & they worked.
im past that, as mine work, but ONLY IN DS MODE, im trying to get them to work in d mode/NORMAL DRIVING MODE.

the lci paddles are resistance based so to fit them to a pre-lci car they need to be moded.(remove resistors, bridge the gap with solder/wire) which i did. this allows them to work like the pre lci ones WHICH ARE SWITCH BASED.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #151
jammy78
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
im past that, as mine work, but ONLY IN DS MODE, im trying to get them to work in d mode/NORMAL DRIVING MODE.

the lci paddles are resistance based so to fit them to a pre-lci car they need to be moded.(remove resistors, bridge the gap with solder/wire) which i did. this allows them to work like the pre lci ones WHICH ARE SWITCH BASED.
I had the same paddles (modified to work in pre-lci).... I changed my steering wheel to a lci version & used the buttons that came with the wheel.... & THE PADDLES DID NOT WORK IN D MODE!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 03:34 AM   #152
bajandrifter
YouTuber @SALVAGE NATION
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I had the same paddles (modified to work in pre-lci).... I changed my steering wheel to a lci version & used the buttons that came with the wheel.... & THE PADDLES DID NOT WORK IN D MODE!
oh sorry, so what paddles do you have now and are they working in d mode?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 05:34 AM   #153
jammy78
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
oh sorry, so what paddles do you have now and are they working in d mode?
I had the modified the LCI paddles & they worked perfectly with my original steering wheel buttons.

I then changed my steering wheel with a lci version & tried using the buttons that CAME with the wheel..... the modified paddles did not work in D! Put in my old buttons & the paddles worked!

So if you think the coding & wiring is correct, trying some pre-lci buttons would be my next course of action
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #154
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
I had the modified the LCI paddles & they worked perfectly with my original steering wheel buttons.

I then changed my steering wheel with a lci version & tried using the buttons that CAME with the wheel..... the modified paddles did not work in D! Put in my old buttons & the paddles worked!

So if you think the coding & wiring is correct, trying some pre-lci buttons would be my next course of action
so jammy,

you said modified paddles didnt work in D. so did they only work in D/S?

Did your car come from factory with paddles?
Appreciate 0