E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Dealer Detailing Dilemma

01-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
BMWORD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 06 325i

Dealer Detailing Dilemma

Hello,

I recently purchased a used bmw 3 series and due to some mistakes made in the sale was given some free wash/details from my dealer. I've had the car a couple months now. After a few times in for warranty work and a chance to really look over the paint, I have found many issues I'd like corrected (swirls from washes after service, flat spots in paint).
I have an all day appt. scheduled for what is being described as a wash, polish, wax and interior shampoo, leather treatment etc. with the dealer.

I am worried that the dealer may do more damage then repair on this paint as it is my suspicion that the problems in the paint were most like created by dealers in the past.

Any suggestions? is it even worth taking advantage of this offer?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

BEFORE they touch it, got out and inspect if very closely with your SA, or whomever is coordinating your service visit. Point out the areas of concern, maybe even circle things with a grease pen or crayon or something.
Then when they get done, go back over the inspection routine with the SA, to ensure they did it right. If not, MAYBE give them one more chance before telling them to comp you a pro to do it right. They may not do it, but at least you have two sets of eyes who have looked at the same things.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Dealer washes are horrible, and dealer "detailers" are notorious for being hacks. There is very little chance they will correct anything the proper way - most likely, they will use a nice batch of filling glaze to make the car look impeccable for a couple of weeks until it wears off, then you're back at square one.

If you want it done right, find a professional on your own. Paint correction is an art - some people really suck, and some people can work magic. It all comes down to knowledge about the products, skill, and experience. The best advice I can offer is to do your own homework and find someone reputable and local from here or another detailing site such as Autopia. Fortunately, the vast majority of those willing to share their work on the internet tied to their company name do a good job.

Alternatively, you could DIY. If you're willing to invest some time to learn and bit of money for supplies, it would save you money and aggravation in the future.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
BMWORD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the replies, I would actually like to do this work myself, although I don't have the tools, and have no idea where to buy the PC polisher local in Houston.
I guess my question is they owe me 5 of these services, I hate to leave that all on the table as each one is billed as a full day of work, do you think it's possible to negotiate a check so I can buy supply's myself?
And if not, would there be any harm letting them put that "filling glaze?" on the car? is it a bad idea to have it waxed by them until I can get the products?
Looking forward to suggestions, Thanks again.

and I agree dealer washes are horrible! that is the reason I'm thinking about using this service now. My last trip to the service dept. did a nightmare job of putting light scratches and swirls all along one side of my car. It's unbelievable that they can do that much damage washing your car. (Mines jet black btw)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335/white-saddle/msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWORD View Post
Thanks for the replies, I would actually like to do this work myself, although I don't have the tools, and have no idea where to buy the PC polisher local in Houston.
I guess my question is they owe me 5 of these services, I hate to leave that all on the table as each one is billed as a full day of work, do you think it's possible to negotiate a check so I can buy supply's myself?
And if not, would there be any harm letting them put that "filling glaze?" on the car? is it a bad idea to have it waxed by them until I can get the products?

and I agree dealer washes are horrible! that is the reason I'm thinking about using this service now. My last trip to the service dept. did a nightmare job of putting light scratches and swirls all along one side of my car. It's unbelievable that they can do that much damage washing your car. (Mines jet black btw)
Great beginners kit. Depending on the swirls, you might need a more aggressive polish.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...%26+wax+kit.do
      01-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWORD View Post

Jet Black is usually quite soft, and is most prone to RIDs and swirls. Keeping JB looking good is a full time job - several others here will tell you the same!

I don't think you would be able to convince them to trade you the services for cash to buy your own supplies. The dealer wants you to use their "guy" - it's usually someone in house who they need to keep busy. If they outsource it, they probably get a kickback of some kind.

Detailed Image and Detailers Domain are both E90Post sponsors and carry basically everything you need, including the PCXP. Both offer 10% off coupons for E90Post members and frequently run very good sales. DI has a tremendous guide to detailing here that outlines every step of the full detailing process. There's a lot of excellent information there and it's a great place to start.

Filling glaze does no real harm to anything. But it's a temporary band-aid, not a fix. While the glaze itself doesn't hurt, it's not the only way bad detailers can cause problems - he may try using a rotary buffer which leaves buffer trails if used incorrectly, for example. Additionally, you would want to be sure all traces of the glaze are removed from the paint before attempting a full detail yourself.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
BMWORD
Enlisted Member
Rep

So bottom line, it's a wash on those 5 free details? I know I don't feel good about them touching my car, especially when I look at all the damge they have already done. Wish I had known how horrible there washing reputation was, I would have negotiated something else at the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
scott@bmwhn
Major
Rep
Drives: Msport X3

If your looking to get your own supplies, the Griots kit mentioned above is what i have and it works great. Unfortunately there isnt a very good local Houston resource for detailing supplies but velocity motorcars does carry P21s products.

My last car was jet black and trying to keep it swirl free was definitely a full time job

Previous: 20' X3 M40i, 19' 740i Msport, 17' 430i GC, 15' Msport X3 28i, 15' Sportline X1 28i, 13' Msport 328i, 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

just dont have the dealer detail it period!

have a pro do it once - do it once, do it right!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335/white-saddle/msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
just dont have the dealer detail it period!

have a pro do it once - do it once, do it right!
+1
      01-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Pros not hoes.

Dont let the dealer touch it.

See if you can apply the credits somewhere else in the dealership such as the parts department.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 04:08 AM   #12
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

[It all comes down to knowledge about the products, skill, and experience] jopa489

+1
What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher. Knowledge is everything; keep, so an open mind and be ready to learn from those who’ve already got the information you need. It is this type of information that makes you both professional and knowledgeable in your field. Knowledge of new technology and application methods also made detailer’s more in demand with both employers and clients. Don't ever stop learning.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

BMW pays the dealerships for every bit of service that they do for your car, so they aren't going to pay you to buy supplies; they lose money and don't get paid either. I would just straight up tell them that you don't really trust the washing/detailing abilities of the dealer. You will find that there is a hierarchy within the service department and that the SMs and SAs typically look down on the detailing abilities of the guy out back who washes the cars (Most of these guys are car people anyway and know all about the swirl marks). They'll understand and that should give you some working room when asking if you can have the details credited towards parts or something instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

You will never keep a JB BMW "swirl free".....

I'd probably just go ahead and let the dealer do and see how it turns out. If they really mess it up, it's on them. They might actually end up doing a decent job.

Then find a good professional detailer to do it twice a year, or get the supplies and start doing it yourself. Like anything, you'll save tons of $$ if you can learn to do it yourself, and no one will do a better job on your car than you.

I have JB as well, and I recently had my car detailed. Even after my first wash since the sealant, I have some swirls. You will never be content with JB if your OCD about your car, swirls are inevitable.

However, you can "minimize" the swirling with proper washing and technique.
      01-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
BMWORD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok, appt. canceled. After reading all the replies it just seemed like the right thing to do. I'm going to call my GM and see if there is anything he can trade-off for the details. On a side note does anyone know where I can buy a porter cable polisher local in Houston?
Appreciate 0