E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > How "Track-ready" is a stock 335i?

03-17-2007, 04:59 PM   #23
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
I've done that Streets of Willow track a few times and you'll be fine. There is only one decent sized straight (i'm assuming your on the small "streets of willow" track next to the "big track") so only one heavy braking zone. It's more of tight technical handling track. That's why my Audi did so good w/ the AWD even with the little 4 banger. It was as quick as most cars out there...some costing much much more money. Your brakes should be fine. I was running porterfield brake pads with the OEM rotors and did fine. With the huge front brakes on the 335, I don't think you'll have issues even with stock pads. I like that track cause it's pretty safe as you can only pass people on the one straight so once your though the straight, people arent going to be diving into corners trying to pass you. You'll have a blast. I can't wait to get out there with my 335i (waiting right now on an ED pickup confirmation date in July). You're gonna eat up your tires pretty good however. It's a pretty rough track.

Current Ride 2016 M4 / Mineral Gray / DCT/ Full Black Leather / 19in Gunmetal / Executive /LED/Ohlinds RT/SSR DP-CP-Intake/AP Essex 9668/Bootmod STG 2/DINAN HE
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #24
roller84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & E60 550i

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Well, I tracked my car on the Nurburgring, a 12.8mi track. The day was ~70F. I did 4 laps and my brother did 4 laps, all with a cool down period in between each. The brakes faded on me only once after I slammed on them from ~135mph to 40mph while approaching a turn. Next time I had to use them, they felt as if nothing had happened. My Bro and I gave it our all on the track and was VERY impressed that they only faded once. I think you will be fine.

Now the handling on the other hand is a different story. My car is equipped with the sports suspension and realized how much the car could benefit from a good set of coilovers. The 335i really plows hard when tossing it around, left and right. I run my E46 330i with KW v3's and that car is GLUED to the road.
Pure S2 Turbos | Vargas Outlets | RB Inlets | OEM SS Kit & Performance Steering Wheel| LCI Rear Conversion | Euro Xenons | RD Sport Quad Exhaust | Spearco Intercooler | Cobb V3 | MORR VS7 | KW V3 | H&R Sways | Mtech Bodykit | Vorsteiner CF Hood, CSL Trunk & Front Lip | Quaife LSD | Rotora BBK | GruppeM Intake | Forge UK DV | AR Design Catted DP's
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #25
cycler2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstealer View Post
The BMW Performance Driving Center is now using 335i's for their driving schools. I would say that is a pretty good indication.
Just got back from a two-day driving school at the Performance Center where we drove mostly 335i's (Steptronic sedans). We drove the cars pretty hard, including on the new M track, and I had no problems with brake fade or overheating. (Temps held steady at around 250 on the oil temp. gauge, which is within the normal range, according to the manual.) Having said that, we had plenty of time between exercises, so the cars could cool down. I was amazed at the braking and handling ability of these cars. I would have no reluctance to take a street stock 335 to an autocross or BMWCCA driving school. More rigorous events may require upgraded equipment.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #26
kevbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i, E46 M3 track car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
You see, I'm planning to go to Willow in May for a track-day event (a drive around for $120/day) and was wondering......will my brakes fade? Are my tires too crummy for the track? Will my clutch get affected (assuming I drive fine and do not subject the car to tons of driveline shock by shifting like a noob)?

I was thinking that I should get some ceramic brake pads. Is this even necessary? I mean I know the M3 would be most likely ok, but I have doubts about the cars "trackability" without upgrades.

Kindly lend your thoughts o great forumers........
I don't have direct experience because I have a 325i instead of the 335i, but having just participated in a track day at Road Atlanta I recommend just going for it - don't bother changing anything on the car at this point. Assuming your current brake pads and tires have plenty of life in them, they'll do fine at a track day. You may need to replace them after, though...

I don't mean this to sound like a jerk, but unless you have a lot of experience at track days, you aren't going to be pushing the car anywhere near it's capabilities. And that's a good thing; it leave reserve for mistakes. Track days are awesome - have a great time and post pictures and video!
      03-17-2007, 06:52 PM   #27
**Jay-V**
What it do, nephew?
Rep
Drives: 2012 E350 Bluetec

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 010101 View Post
evo, sti, elise, rx8, 'vette, civic si, 350z, cooper s, gti

Yup..Great time to be an auto enthusiast

'15 Fiat 500e
'14 MBZ E350 Sport
'11 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2007, 06:56 PM   #28
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: still deciding what to order

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2suzuka View Post
Yup..Great time to be an auto enthusiast
Yes, but I still wish we were 8 months into the future. The new Evo and STI will be out. The 135i might be, and the Cayman might get direct injection. I guess there's always something better on the horizon...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #29
**Jay-V**
What it do, nephew?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, but I still wish we were 8 months into the future. The new Evo and STI will be out. The 135i might be, and the Cayman might get direct injection. I guess there's always something better on the horizon...

And there are confirmed reports that a "club racer" version of the S2000 will be out this fall. That I would spend my money on

'15 Fiat 500e
'14 MBZ E350 Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2007, 07:02 PM   #30
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
And there are confirmed reports that a "club racer" version of the S2000 will be out this fall. That I would spend my money on
Really? I wish that thing just had a little more space and was capable of handling a temporary roof rack. The S2000 is an amazing car. Great gear box and unique F1 style gages. Honda makes really solid cars too. I have had less trouble with my Acura then any of my other cars. Do you have a link to the specs on this thing? It sounds tempting.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #31
**Jay-V**
What it do, nephew?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Really? I wish that thing just had a little more space and was capable of handling a temporary roof rack. The S2000 is an amazing car. Great gear box and unique F1 style gages. Honda makes really solid cars too. I have had less trouble with my Acura then any of my other cars. Do you have a link to the specs on this thing? It sounds tempting.
http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...-s2000-cr.html

I'm hoping that it will be a fixed roof will be in the mix

'15 Fiat 500e
'14 MBZ E350 Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2007, 07:11 PM   #32
kevbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i, E46 M3 track car

Quote:
Originally Posted by choatie88 View Post
How about tracking an E93? I know, I know, it's not meant for that, but I can't resist at least trying a track day...
My local chapter of BMWCCA does not allow convertibles to participate in track days, period. It doesn't matter if they have roll bars, hard tops, etc. However, that said, I don't think anyone has asked for a ruling as to whether the E93 counts or not. And other clubs and track day sponsors have their own rules regarding convertibles. I just wanted to mention it to you so you would be sure to check into this before you get too excited.

If an E93 is allowed to participate, I would certainly take it to the track. It's a driving school, not a race after all. At my recent experience, there were Porsche GT3's all the way down to a stock Nissan Sentra sedan with automatic and everything in between! And it's the driver, not the car that determines how fast they go! You'll have a blast!
      03-17-2007, 07:15 PM   #33
**Jay-V**
What it do, nephew?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbh View Post
And it's the driver, not the car that determines how fast they go! You'll have a blast!

'15 Fiat 500e
'14 MBZ E350 Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #34
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...-s2000-cr.html

I'm hoping that it will be a fixed roof will be in the mix
If that were the case I would deffinitely consider it... a stiff fix roofed S2000 would be amazing.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #35
choatie88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX, Volvo XC90, McLaren 12C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbh View Post
My local chapter of BMWCCA does not allow convertibles to participate in track days, period. It doesn't matter if they have roll bars, hard tops, etc. However, that said, I don't think anyone has asked for a ruling as to whether the E93 counts or not. And other clubs and track day sponsors have their own rules regarding convertibles. I just wanted to mention it to you so you would be sure to check into this before you get too excited.
The BMWCCA in Chicago will allow the E93 for autocross, but not track days, unless you have a full roll cage. I'm seeing the same thing at every BMWCCA in the country. You'd think the stock pop-up roll bars would be good enough...

Realistically, how often do people roll their cars at these events? I can't see how you'd do that unless you were driving WELL beyond your ability.
      03-17-2007, 11:26 PM   #36
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycler2 View Post
Just got back from a two-day driving school at the Performance Center where we drove mostly 335i's (Steptronic sedans). We drove the cars pretty hard, including on the new M track, and I had no problems with brake fade or overheating. (Temps held steady at around 250 on the oil temp. gauge, which is within the normal range, according to the manual.) Having said that, we had plenty of time between exercises, so the cars could cool down. I was amazed at the braking and handling ability of these cars. I would have no reluctance to take a street stock 335 to an autocross or BMWCCA driving school. More rigorous events may require upgraded equipment.
This is interesting. You didn't happen to check to see if they have the external oil cooler?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2007, 11:53 PM   #37
SP330
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5

Tracking is one of the main things that dissipates my funds. Expensive hobby indeed.

I am simply pointing out how the 335 would be a pitiful track car in many aspects.

The clutch and shifter are definitely vague, you need not look at M for that, the best BMW shifter right now is in the Zeddy.

I have driven an E92 335i 6MT hard, it felt so smooth and effortless it was like driving an automatic.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 12:12 AM   #38
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Sessions are no longer than 20 minutes a piece. Most people don't go the full session as it is physically tiring Enough time for your car to cool off.

For a first timer, brake fade will not likely occur. However, I would at least change the brake fluid to a higher boiling point fluid such as ATE Super Blue.

Porsche Cayman's don't have LSD's either and they're pretty track worthy

You're going to burn tires regardless what kind of car you have
I would get motul RBF600 over ATE super blue any day.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 12:14 AM   #39
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sessions are no longer than 20 minutes a piece. Most people don't go the full session as it is physically tiring Enough time for your car to cool off.

For a first timer, brake fade will not likely occur. However, I would at least change the brake fluid to a higher boiling point fluid such as ATE Super Blue.

Porsche Cayman's don't have LSD's either and they're pretty track worthy

You're going to burn tires regardless what kind of car you have
Sessions, depending on the group you run with could be as short as 18 minutes..and as long as an hour..yes, I said an hour. I have about 120 track days under my belt. I have been on track days when you could stay out as long as you wanted....open track. Most are about 25...to 30.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 12:16 AM   #40
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LSD on the Lotus Elise is optional, and it's a VERY worth track car
A friend of mine let me take out his Lotus Exige on the track at Miller Motorsports in Utah...it is really a momentum car...not real fast in the straights..but very very manuverable due to the low weight. In some ways it was very similar to my Spec Miata.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 12:17 AM   #41
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbarossa View Post
Take the advice from the people that have actually driver their 335s on the track...not assumptions.
I agree..I am gonna be very cautious taking mine out for the first time..definitely not gonna take it out and play in NASA group 4 right off.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 12:19 AM   #42
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by White05X3 View Post
I tracked my e46 (all stock) and it was great! I have also tracked an X3 (also at WSIR and also all stock) and even its brakes were fine. You should be fine. BMW builds a pretty solid car. Also, I didn't find Willow to be that hard on brakes (unlike the infield of CA Speedway).

Just be intellectually ready to replace your tires. A track day can destroy stock tires quickly. Especially with stock alignment.

I wouldn't worry so much about a LSD. If you drive smoothly and consistently and don't hammer the throttle looking for that ultimate last 1/10th of a second of lap time, you should not even notice the lack of LSD. Frankly, if you drive really smoothly you might not even notice DSC intervening.

Have a great time! Post videos please!
Are you guys talkin about Streets of Willow..or Willow..the big track. They are totally different tracks.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 12:20 AM   #43
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
I'm interested in the comments about brake fade. I've seen a lot of people claim the 335i's brakes won't fade. I did notice some fade. It was not nearly as pronounced as my last car, but it was there.

I missed LSD a lot less than I thought I would, for what it's worth. If I were tracking seriously I'd add a good bbk before LSD, although I'd probably do both eventually.
I am positive I could make them fade. But then I have a SCCA and NASA competition license..and I have been known to brake really late and hard.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 12:23 AM   #44
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roller84 View Post
Well, I tracked my car on the Nurburgring, a 12.8mi track. The day was ~70F. I did 4 laps and my brother did 4 laps, all with a cool down period in between each. The brakes faded on me only once after I slammed on them from ~135mph to 40mph while approaching a turn. Next time I had to use them, they felt as if nothing had happened. My Bro and I gave it our all on the track and was VERY impressed that they only faded once. I think you will be fine.

Now the handling on the other hand is a different story. My car is equipped with the sports suspension and realized how much the car could benefit from a good set of coilovers. The 335i really plows hard when tossing it around, left and right. I run my E46 330i with KW v3's and that car is GLUED to the road.
Try tracking at 105 degrees at Buttonwillow/Willow Springs/Thunderhill sometime..its a little bit different at that temp.
Appreciate 0