E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > LOGIC 7 Problems: Please Read!!

02-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #23
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
For those of you audiophiles.. would an amp with not enough power cause this problem? It gets too hot or overworked so it shuts down all the treble.. essentially taking away the surround sound?
      02-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #24
ubern00b
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

overheating can do some weird stuff to electronics.

off topicish, but, on my old car, the stereo installers had connected the passenger rear door speaker's ground to the shared ground for the door lock, so anytime i hit the door locks, that circuit would complete, freak the amp out, it would clip out all treble. i'd have to turn the car off completely (to get the power to the amps killed), to reset it.

back on topic, i'd be interested to hear it in person to see what you're describing. it sounds like a weird problem, especially since you're having the issue with non-mp3 cd's. does this happen with any other audio source? (bluetooth, radio)?

in regards to an overheating issue, i can't help but wonder if when you turn the head unit off, the amps come off also....or they're automatically powered on when aux power comes up? also, if it's heat, could be heat to the actual head unit itself?

just some thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #25
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I really wish I could predict when it goes crazy, but its never consistent. Sometimes it happens when I'm listening to fairly loud music... nothing way too loud, or after I get done with a bluetooth phone call. It sounds similar to your problem with your old car, except there's still 'some' treble there. It just sounds like I'm listening in mono with bass.

I've never really noticed it happening on a bluetooth phone call, and I rarely listen to the radio at all. It's mainly non-mp3 cd's that I listen to, and therefore cause the problem.

The last time it happened to me I was on about an hour long trip and I was listening to some pretty involved rock, which made me think it could've been the amp overheating. It would have been working pretty hard for about an hour, so it commenced emergency shut down?? I turned it off for a few minutes, turned it back on, and it was fine.
      02-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #26
ubern00b
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

does this only happen when you crank it up or have been listening to it for a while?

we should try to find out how and when the amp is powered. whether it is only powered when the head unit is active (or on a bluetooth call), or if it gets power the whole time aux power is on.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #27
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubern00b View Post
does this only happen when you crank it up or have been listening to it for a while?

we should try to find out how and when the amp is powered. whether it is only powered when the head unit is active (or on a bluetooth call), or if it gets power the whole time aux power is on.
I'll run some tests with it.. mess around with the settings and I'll see if I can't get it to act up. I'll make sure to carefully document every time it goes crazy so we can pinpoint this stupid amp's problem.