E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Battery Questions

10-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
sjg3rd
Rep
Drives: 335i

Battery Questions

Yes I have search and am still confused on an issue and need some clarity.

I have a 2009 335i CPO. The clock keeps losing time, sometimes it will be parked for 15 hours and not lose time other times 6 hours and it goes. I assume the battery is going. This is where the fun with BMW begins.

I know I need to register the battery to the car. However, if I want to get a battery from Autozone, Wal-mart, etc and want it to fit but maybe not have the exact spec as the OEM battery does the car need to be "reprogram/recoded"?

Also will the Bav Tool do that or is it limited to registering the battery to the car with the OEM spec's? The local dealer wanted a kidney and something else I quit listening when it became ridiculous.

Ive checked Indy shop and he will reprogram a battery for $130 and register for $90. However, if the Bav Tool will allow me to register the non oem battery specs then I will pony up for a used one and buy a battery from Autozone and do it myself.

Thanks for any insight on this issue, and a thank you to BMW for having such a complicated process for a seemingly simple process.

Make this simpler will the Bav Tool allow me to use a non BMW battery regardless of Ah, CCA, etc..? Or will it only register a battery with the oem specs?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
if you decide to go the route of "just registering the battery", here's another way. I downloaded this software recently to check for BMW codes and bought one of the recommended cables for $8 (they have links on Amazon). The software can read codes, reset codes, register battery and clear adaptations.

http://**************.com/products
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
sjg3rd
Rep

Thanks for the info and link. If I go with the same spec's on battery then this should work right?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjg3rd View Post
Thanks for the info and link. If I go with the same spec's on battery then this should work right?
that's my understanding, but I'm not an expert. If you were to go with an identical battery, think you're good. Think I read the software settings (not the software provided in the link, but other) for Ah fall into ranges but not sure what the ranges are.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
sjg3rd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
that's my understanding, but I'm not an expert. If you were to go with an identical battery, think you're good. Think I read the software settings (not the software provided in the link, but other) for Ah fall into ranges but not sure what the ranges are.
I talked to the guys that make the Bav Tool and you are correct, as long as the battery has the same spec's as OEM the Bav Tool will register the battery. If you change the battery to one with different spec's car needs to be reprogrammed and the Bav Tool will not do that.

Thanks for the info guys. Now I just need to find a battery locally with the sam specs and not have to go to the dealer.
Appreciate 0