E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Controlling Music Via iDrive

04-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Scher215
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xdrive idrive

Controlling Music Via iDrive

I searched around the forum and I couldn't find an answer to my question, so I hope someone can help! (I also called my sales guy, but he is out of the office)

I just purchased a certified used 2009 328i xdrive sedan with the screen and navigation and all.

I want to be able to control my music via the screen and having album art would be an added bonus.

I have not been able to figure the best way out to do this and would like some assistance if possible!

I have read about some adapters you can use for your iPhone. I don't need to mount it or anything, one appeared to be for newer models (2011+) and one for older. However, the one for older models has a AUX, USB, and lighter plug in all right next to each other. Well, in my vehicle the USB is in the glove box and the AUX / lighter is in the center console. So if they would need to all be plugged in at once it wouldn't work, not trying to run extension chords!

I also tried just using the white apple plug in and it said it could not find any devices hooked up to the USB when I went to import music. Same as when I tried using my external hard drive.

I also am curious if buying a jump drive and putting some music on it (how much will the car hold? or how can I find out?) and using that in the glove box USB.

If anyone has any advice or specific products they can point me towards, I'd really appreciate it! I am not looking to spend over a hundred dollars. I don't even mind if it doesn't charge the phone. I don't care if it just plays the music on the phone or imports it into the car, I just want to be able to control my music via the car and if possible have album artwork!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
ibanatl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 xdrive; 2017 i3 REx

For your iPod to work you need the y cable (30-pin apple and USB + 3.5 male) you won't get album art unless you retrofit to the new combox.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Scher215
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa1onpas View Post
For your iPod to work you need the y cable (30-pin apple and USB + 3.5 male) you won't get album art unless you retrofit to the new combox.
I don't believe that will work in mine. I only have the 3.5 male in my console. The USB is in the glove box, so not exactly reachable.

Are there any other options that aren't wildly expensive? If album art isn't possible, not a big deal, I'd also rather control the music as opposed to importing it to the car from the iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

sounds like you dont have the 6FL option
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Scher215
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
sounds like you dont have the 6FL option
Correct.

However, one of the items I saw on the BMW website, does say (And it did come up as being compatible with my vehicle):

Quote:
Some cars produced from 9/2010 will not be equipped with an audio Y-cable. The white Apple cable may be used on these vehicles for connectivity, but this cable will still not charge the device properly. Therefore, the charging cable is applicable to these vehicles as well.
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...ProductId=3241

Does that mean that you'd plug in two of the connections in the center console and then use the white iPod cable to run from the USB in the glove box to the iPhone and just not use the USB plug on the cable? I don't really care about charging it, just being able to control it via the iDrive.

This was the only other option compatible with my car, and while it is a little more than I wanted to spend, may be an option as well:

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...&ProductId=748
Appreciate 0