E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 335xi AWD Turbo Install

05-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
tahoerdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

335xi AWD Turbo Install

I'm having trouble finding any info related to turbo replacement on AWD, anyone have some notes to share? I've done the water pump so I know it's going to be more work that RWD. I'm wondering what is involved with pulling the front subframe. Thanking baby Jesus I have my car lift for this one.

Here's the project coming up early next month. All parts have arrived.

CURRENT:
2008 335xi coupe
VRSF 7" FMIC
Procede Flexfuel Kit
Remus cat-back exhaust
TC Kline coilovers

COMING SOON:
RB turbos
Cobb
TFT inlets
Vishnu LPFP booster (bought 18mos ago, haven't installed yet)
AR Design catless DP's
Procede PWM Meth (installed now but not active)
tuning by Wedge/Baraq
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
tahoerdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

Well Rob Beck has some input on this, but nothing detailed. I guess I'll be posting some notes and partial DIY in June after the install.

"The XI definitely adds some complexity so we'd agree that dropping the subframe would be the key to getting the turbos installed. There maybe other ways around it, as there are on a RWD car, but we are unsure firsthand about the XI. In short it would probably be best to prepare for dropping the subframe. To put some perspective on this project an experienced shop will typically charge around 11-13 hours for a RWD car and about 14-16 hours for an XI, so there is more to consider due to the extra drivetrain.

If you do not already have one we'd suggest picking up the Bentley Manual for your vehicle, it would help tremendously perform in-depth services such as this."

Please make sure the installers do NOT put a lot of torque on the coolant fastening nut or custom oil feed bolt (max 3ft/lb or 4Nm) and also ensure installers use the provided hardware (do not substitute any other hardware). They do not require much torque and over tightening can damage the threads in the turbo and cause us both a bunch of headaches. I have also included some additional materials and instructions to modify the front oil return line, provided the installers believe it is necessary. Please review the included paperwork and use the materials to modify the front turbo oil line only if believed to be necessary.
http://www.rbturbo.com/installation

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
infidel335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

I know the dealership drops the subframe to access the turbos. I had my waste gates changed out and the tech informed me what a PITA it was to get to the turbos.

335xi: JB4 G5 | KW V1s | muffler delete | BMS DCI | VRSF 7" FMIC | VMR v703 18x8 | and your mom
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
KeepRidingDirty
Professional Monkey Trainer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Subframe has to be dropped to install turbos regardless of X drive or not. I pulled my subframe to install my oil pan gasket, not hard really. Did it in 2 hours on jackstands.
      05-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 black 335xi coupe

A good shop can do an xi turbo swap in about 10-12 hours. I've done it 3x on 3 different XIs, really no different IMO.
Appreciate 0