E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Moron's at the Gym..

03-13-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
Chrisrw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Angry Moron's at the Gym..

So I went to the gym the other day and noticed a guy doing some good ol' chin-ups. He placed a large box under the chin up bar, jumped off the box while lightly hanging onto the bar with both hands. He was jumping so high that the bar was coming to his shoulders, but this was entirely due to the size of the box. Not only this, he was doing them as fast as he could, doing like 15 "rep" sets... I think most of the gym was just laughing at him.

These moves were later followed up by some sort of swooping crane style lunges...

I know there area millions of stories about "curl in the squat rack" and "bend and the waist while curling" guy... Let's hear em..

07 335i / Black on Red / Sport / Premium / 19'' Rims / Matte Black 18'' Winters / Vishnu / DCI / CF wrap / HID AE / OEM lip / H&R race / Titek / HKS
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

While I was at the gym the other night, there was a guy who spent 20 minutes cleaning the sleds on one of the elliptical machines before using it. I was WTF?!? Just do your workout already. It pissed me off because it was 1am, the gym was completely empty, and of the 20 machines available he chose the one right next to the one I was using.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmcguire View Post
While I was at the gym the other night, there was a guy who spent 20 minutes cleaning the sleds on one of the elliptical machines before using it. I was WTF?!? Just do your workout already. It pissed me off because it was 1am, the gym was completely empty, and of the 20 machines available he chose the one right next to the one I was using.
You should of just deliberately stopped your work out, gotten off, and moved down 1 or 2 machines.

Just to bat the point home.
      03-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I hate the gym.

Well I love the gym but I have other problems. It's overpriced. There are some major weirdos there. I can't stand how dirty the place gets, really next time take a look around the edge of the walls or under a machine. All you'll see is hair, dust, skin flecks. People are always doing the weirdest things. People let their 12-14y/o kids dick around, watching 5 kids do a benching contest all laughing barely putting 95lbs up. People can't use a locker, they carry their shit around with them or hang their coats on the end of the dumbbell rack.

I'm buying my own gym set in the next few months. Check this place out. www.elitefts.com

I plan to buy this...or something similar that they offer. I wouldn't get the dead-lift pad up front as shown.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=167&pid=921

I'm a free weight guy. The only machine I use is to do some tricep extensions, but there are other ways to do that.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
You should of just deliberately stopped your work out, gotten off, and moved down 1 or 2 machines.

Just to bat the point home.
I probably should have, but I was 30 minutes into a 45 minute routine and didn't want to just stop. Don't think for a second that I didn't consider it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrw View Post
So I went to the gym the other day and noticed a guy doing some good ol' chin-ups. He placed a large box under the chin up bar, jumped off the box while lightly hanging onto the bar with both hands. He was jumping so high that the bar was coming to his shoulders, but this was entirely due to the size of the box. Not only this, he was doing them as fast as he could, doing like 15 "rep" sets... I think most of the gym was just laughing at him.

These moves were later followed up by some sort of swooping crane style lunges...

I know there area millions of stories about "curl in the squat rack" and "bend and the waist while curling" guy... Let's hear em..

Freakin' new-agers and their stupid hand waving. I see people like this at the gym from time to time. It always cracks me up.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I actually just got back from the gym not too long ago and there are these Asian guys (no racism intended so please don't take it the wrong way) but they do bench press EVERYDAY and it’s so funny watching them. They put two plates on each side and the person spotting them has to do the entire workout for them since they can't remotely push the weights alone. Practically the whole gym laughs at them but they really think they are the shit.

First time they were there, the guy puts 3 plates on each side but they couldn't get it off the rack. I was laughing my fucking ass off.

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by addy85 View Post
I actually just got back from the gym not too long ago and there are these Asian guys (no racism intended so please don't take it the wrong way) but they do bench press EVERYDAY and it’s so funny watching them. They put two plates on each side and the person spotting them has to do the entire workout for them since they can't remotely push the weights alone. Practically the whole gym laughs at them but they really think they are the shit.

First time they were there, the guy puts 3 plates on each side but they couldn't get it off the rack. I was laughing my fucking ass off.
There's this old Asian dude w/ a beanie and a sweater that comes in all the time... as if it was snowing outside (this is San Diego BTW). One of his exercises is sitting on a flat bench w/ a dumbbell in each hand, palm-face up, and leaning back and lifting the dumbbells maybe one or two inches. Unless I am missing something, or this is a Pilates exercise (I had to do something similar in Pilates), I have no idea what the hell he is accomplishing. It's like he's rocking the dumbbells upward.

Another time, I was hitting the punching bag in one of those rooms w/ the wooden floors, like for classes. This old dude (60-70) comes in and takes one of the big exercise balls and starts bouncing it like a basketball. At the same time, he's zig-zagging between punching bags, and trying to make all these dance moves. He was moving his hands around and moving in circles; etc. Everybody just stopped what they were doing and stared at him like "WTF?"
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Heh, I've encountered too many of these dopes.

At the gym I go to currently there are these tools guys who always come in together, they are auto repair mechanics I'm guessing, by the uniform they come in with before they change around the age of 30-37 I'd say, not really sure. The first odd thing about them is that they change from their work attire to jeans and a t-shirt to work out in. How the hell do you work out in freakin' jeans? Geez, these idiots were trying to do squats on the smith machine yesterday in jeans.

These guys use excessive weight on any and all exercises they do with incorrect form. Makes me wanna yell at them to GTFO of the gym. They put too much weight on the smith machine to do squats and then they did regular freeweight squats one day and barely went down, so no range of motion. They must think they are so big and strong or some shit. They used too much weight and had the craziest form doing dumbbell rows for back. It was too fucking funny, but also made me rage at the same time.

I hate these tools, I wish I could kick them out of the gym. Sorry that was more of a rant than anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

I for one went to the gym for a solid year. During that time I experienced people dropping weights on their throat from benching. Screaming orgasmic-like yells, and dudes who think their yoked. I'm done with that for awhile

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 01:30 AM   #11
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

My favorite is the 99lb guy built like a pencil who wears this massive, thick leather lifting belt so he looks like a pencil with a roll of tape around the middle. Then he just stands around for an hour talking to his dipshit buddies and never actually works out.
      03-16-2009, 01:35 AM   #12
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Name:  meow.jpg
Views: 3904
Size:  26.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #13
Alpha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335

Hey guys, Im one of those guys who make loud noises at the gym. Its very useful because all the girls look at me and I like that . But anyway I like to make sure that everyone knows who I am cause its cool and stuff. Plus haven't you guys watched animal videos where the most agressive lion rawrs the loudest. It just me being the lion that I am.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 01:24 AM   #14
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
Hey guys, Im one of those guys who make loud noises at the gym. Its very useful because all the girls look at me and I like that . But anyway I like to make sure that everyone knows who I am cause its cool and stuff. Plus haven't you guys watched animal videos where the most agressive lion rawrs the loudest. It just me being the lion that I am.
Name:  super-cool-story-bro.png
Views: 3808
Size:  63.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #15
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

The guys who scream and grunt real loud drive me crazy. One guy at my gym always talks to himself. He yells things like "come on, just do it" "come on, train".

He always has headphones on so he does it extra loud because he cant hear himself.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #16
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
First off... there is nothing wrong with pumping yourself up if you are doing a legit lift. You posers that think otherwise have no idea what you are doing. It may be better to do it in your head, but hey, whatever works.

With that being said, most people don't mind it if you give them pointers on correct form. From experience, most people actually change what they are doing, do it correctly, don't injure themselves and are thankful for the advise. Of course there are always assholes that will tell you off but who cares.

My biggest pet peeves are the jeans when working out, too much weight, and incorrect form probably topping the list. Thankfully I don't see much of that where I work out. And kids under the age of 18 are not allowed in the free weight are without supervision so that is good as well!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #17
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
First off... there is nothing wrong with pumping yourself up if you are doing a legit lift. You posers that think otherwise have no idea what you are doing. It may be better to do it in your head, but hey, whatever works.

With that being said, most people don't mind it if you give them pointers on correct form. From experience, most people actually change what they are doing, do it correctly, don't injure themselves and are thankful for the advise. Of course there are always assholes that will tell you off but who cares.

My biggest pet peeves are the jeans when working out, too much weight, and incorrect form probably topping the list. Thankfully I don't see much of that where I work out. And kids under the age of 18 are not allowed in the free weight are without supervision so that is good as well!
pumping yourself up is one thing, constantly yelling like the guy I'm talking about to the point where the whole gym can hear is absurd

he sounds like an ass looking for attention
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #18
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

One of my personal favorites is dumbbell curls where the guy is practically doing calf and quad lifts at the same time, throwing the momentum into the curl. Same thing for dumbbell front and lateral raises. Basically I hate everyone who throws their body into their exercises. I love dumbbell routines because of the potential to get isolation wherever you want it, and I want to rabbit punch everyone I see who is flopping around, thinking they can lift twice as much as the next guy who is actually doing it properly. But the mirror speaks for itself. The other guy is doing less weight, but 100% of the time, the guy with the better form wins.

Also, a little grunting here and there doesn't hurt. You aren't going all out if it doesn't escape your mouth every once in a while.

Check out my new haircut!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #19
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Heh, not my pic, but this fits the thread.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #20
dr.jay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135

My biggest pet peeve is guys that talk on their cell phone/blue tooth while at the gym. I mean c'mon assbag you cant wait an hour to talk? One time I literally overheard a guy telling whoever was on the other line how much stronger he was getting and the amounts of weight he was doing for each excercise, he was on the phone for 30 minutes at least.
      04-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #21
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi Coupe

Basically anyone who makes noise while at the gym. An occasional grunt is forgivable, but the guys who scream, grunt or constantly talk to themselves piss me off. Guess what, no matter how much weight you put up, it does not justify making constant noises. You just look like a massive tool. Similarly, people who talk on the phone while working out. Its incredibly rude and incredibly annoying.

There was a case recently where a guy was assaulted in a spinning class by another class mate because he was constantly talking to himself. He sued his attacker. Guess who the jury sided with? The assualter. Don't beleive me? http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/03/ny...se%20Pollution
Really Much Earlier Car: 1988 Mazda 626 TURBO
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #22
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

There are a few guys at the gym that get on my nerves. One is an older guy that works out with his son, which is cool, but they constantly compete to see who can do the most weight to the point of injury. This guy wears a belt while benching and arches his back 6-8 inches off the bench. I want to tell him that he is going to hurt himself, but feel like an ass because I'm half his age. Another guy uses the Olympic section, where I do deadlifts and cleans, for hours at a time, literally. I timed him one day and he was over there doing cleans for almost an hour and half. He did something like 20 some sets of 1-2. I was confused.

-Ben
Appreciate 0