E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is swapping exhaust a DIY?

03-05-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep
Drives: BMW

Is swapping exhaust a DIY?

I will have Borla's exhaust system (without 2nd cat delete pipe).

In Finland we have inspection every year after few free years and as for inspection I will need to have cat's in place because inspector will notice if I don't.

So there is mainly two ways to go either get the second delete pipe (then my aftermarket system is bolt-on, right?) and swap full OEM exhaust when is time to go inspection and aftermarket back on when out of there.

Or to weld Borlas system without 2nd delete to OEM cat's and not to worry about inspection.

So here is the question as in title, is OEM->Borla->OEM swapping DIY I don't have access to lift so it would need to be down in my yard with jack etc.?
It probably will take some time to change exhaust but is only once in year (OEM->Borla->OEM) so "wasting" one day in year isn't that bad if it is DIY.

Second question is is there any good reason to swap that 2nd delete pipe, will it provide any hp gains, if so how much are we talking about? And how much there is weight difference, if any? That pipe will increase sound but that is for me rather downside than upside (or neutral).

Then there is one another thing to consider, if I some day will want to have catless DP's (not sure I will) I would have to buy HF cat's because I wouldn't want to be fully catless but if would have OEM cat's and Borla welded there I wouldn't have to buy HFC's.

So the biggest question is the DIY, if answer to that is no then all another questions are irrelevant.

If you don't have anything useful to comment, please keep it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

I mean if it is a full bolt on kit, I would assume it to be a DIY with a lift or some good jacks?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

All you need is some jacks, and a second person to help is always good
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
I cant make the decision of whether I want HFC's on the back or catless...I cant live with a smelly car as its my dd...but is it really..THAT smelly? or only when sitting on a cold start? argh....

I bought the borla w/secondary delete pipes...
      03-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

it's not that smelly
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
All you need is some jacks, and a second person to help is always good
I have to jack's and ramp's so getting car up ain't problem (hopefully it will stay up also) and probably I get somebody to help me with installation.

So that is answered then. Thank you.

Then the second question needs answers:

"Second question is is there any good reason to swap that 2nd delete pipe, will it provide any hp gains, if so how much are we talking about? And how much there is weight difference, if any? That pipe will increase sound but that is for me rather downside than upside (or neutral)."
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
I mean if it is a full bolt on kit, I would assume it to be a DIY with a lift or some good jacks?
I think it will be if I buy that 2nd cat delete pipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuni View Post

"Second question is is there any good reason to swap that 2nd delete pipe, will it provide any hp gains, if so how much are we talking about? And how much there is weight difference, if any? That pipe will increase sound but that is for me rather downside than upside (or neutral)."
the second cat delete pipe will you give you more power then just swapping the section 3 muffler. #s for removing the 2nd cats i see on here are 8-10hp.

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinoxs203 View Post
the second cat delete pipe will you give you more power then just swapping the section 3 muffler. #s for removing the 2nd cats i see on here are 8-10hp.
Ok thank you for your reply.
Appreciate 0