E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Sticking Steering Column Lock Fix

05-28-2014, 04:53 AM   #111
PhoenixGG
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E90 excl

Is it better to remove the Kick panel or the Steering shroud to get to the ELV. From Fredrik and Grimery's posts it seems that only one of the two needs to be removed.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #112
abrahao
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 120i 2007

Hello everyone. Itīs my first post here, I am from Brazil and I have been searched all over the internet about this issue. This is the best bmw forum I have found. I own a 120ia e87 2007 that I bought just with 6k miles and with 10k miles the red lights showed up when I turned off the car. Then it never disappear. The lock works perfectly, itīs just the annoying red symbol that is a problem even to sell the car.

I took the car to three indian garages, but both of them said itīs not possible to reset the counter and thereīs a mechanical problem. Itīs hard to believe in because in youtube thereīs a lot of garages showing their videos reseting the light just for 80euros.

I would like to try reset it bymyself but I donīt know how to start it. What software should I download and what cable should I buy? Is it possible to use the laptop or is it necessary to buy a special computer?

I am afraid buying the emulator and can not take this light out.

Sorry if I am boring you guys with my bad english.

Thanks for everyone that is helping other people in this forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #113
lark96
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90

A spare ELV Emulator Available in NJ

I have a new ELV emulator from http://www.ecuvonix.com/steering-loc...ml?language=en that I no longer need. The car departed before the emulator arrived. The part is new, never installed. I soldered the pins and 3D-printed protective box as seen on the pictures. PM me if interested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #114
Butcha33
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e60

3d print file

hi, can someone please upload a 3d print file for case to fit the elv emulator.

thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #115
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
I did the service of the locking mechanism, cleaned and re-greased but it was still playing up so ended up replacing the steering column and problem is fixed.

My tip for this job is to take the top cowling cover off the steering column first to release the bottom cover.. that one really made me mad trying to get it off

Also if your steering column is locked straight you can drop the steering column by releasing the four bolts to access the pinch bolt a little easier.

A ratchet torx spanner for the pinch bolt that holds the column in is a must, it is virtually impossible without some sort of ratchet tool. I managed with a ratchet and torx socket at first but ended up buying a ratchet torx spanner kit which makes life easier again.

Steering wheel can stay on to remove the column if you are just wanting to try servicing the locking mechanism but ultimately needs to come off if you are replacing the column.

I did want to try the ELV emulator which does not require removal of the steering column but my wife was not keen on it
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #116
curt2199
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I just had this happen to my 07 335i. My battery was dead after the car sat for a few days in the cold. I jumped it and did a full charge and my red steering lock icon came on. The car drove fine for another week before the same thing happened again.. battery dead. This time I put it on the charger again and charged the battery full (according to my charger). Red light on and car won't start this time.

I then pulled the battery. It has a 3/11 MFR date and 3-4 years seems early for these but I took it to advance auto and they tested it. They said it tested ok but had a 70-80% pull and the window shows insufficient charge (after being on the charger overnight at 10 amps).

I bought a new autocraft gold battery and installed it and still have the red light. From the way it sounds, the dead battery caused the code and I just need to clear or have it cleared. I just bought a K+DCAN cable and plan to use the tools mentioned here to clear the counter and/or codes to hopefully get this care on the road again.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #117
curt2199
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I owe you a big thank you!! My 335i has been sitting in my driveway for a week after a dead battery left me with this red steering wheel lock. Although the lock was not engaged, the car wouldn't start.

I purchased one of the cheap cables (white circuit board too) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) a few days ago from seller "The Lowest Deal Zone" and followed this DIY (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918608) to install the software.

I booted toolset32 and ran the two commands you posted and BAM I could hear the car resetting and sure enough the lock engaged and disengaged and the car started right up!

Thanks again and I hope this helps some other people! My issue wasn't even that the motor needed cleaned, just that my battery voltage got low and when I tried to start it the car flickered. I imagine it gave the motor enough juice to disengage the lock but not re-engage it (throwing the computer and motor out of sync) so the computer through the code and refused to even attempt to engage/disengage the lock until counter was reset per these commands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korell View Post
If you have completed this DIY (thanks yakev724) and still get that pesky yellow warning light, I found a way to clear it (credits to Micha from the German e60-forum.de). Apparently the ELV has an internal counter that causes the yellow (and red?) warning light to display. This counter can be reset using EDIABAS ToolSet32. The count is stored in the CAS and needs to be cleared in CAS and ELV. Load CAS.prg in ToolSet32 and run the commands "steuern_elvcounter_cas_loeschen" and "steuern_elvcounter_elv_loeschen".
This procedure may even unlock the locked steering column with red warning light, but I haven't had the red light since I performed the DIY. I'm assuming this because after my steering column was locked and I had towed my car to an indy shop, the mechanic was able to unlock it by "resetting" something.

BTW, this counter reset worked for me, but as with any advice you find on the Internet, you do this at your own risk. Bonjour ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #118
asiemers
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I did this exact DIY and it totally worked, no codes whatsoever. This emulator functions flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #119
abrahao
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 120i 2007

Hello everybody!

I Bought the cable, I downloaded software and I bought the emulator.

Well, I couldnīt install the software because something goes wrong in installation.

I found a garage that swear that they could clean the red light from the painel.

He charge me $200. Well after riding 30k miles I was desesperate already, so I did pay.

He did the job and now I have no red symbol any more.

He just plugged the computador and done!

None emulator needed or even mechinical issue.

Now I have a cable and an emulator. If anyone would like to buy it, I can send both for $200. Shipment cost included.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #120
nunobanks
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

hi everyone im new to this

my car has the elv red steering wheel logo on the dash but the car starts and drives well.

ive bought a emulator from ebay ive followed the steps and when I plug in the new emulator the whole car shuts down and wont start.

im really confused I thought this would solve my problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 09:06 PM   #121
johnny12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 130i

Any updates with this as a matter of interest? Have any more people tried it?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #122
BMW-Marco
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E87 120d M47T2

Hello guys!
I have to remove my steering column because my electric steering lock has broken. However my wheels stays in line and I can't reach bottom torx bolt. So I have a question is there any option to unscrew that bolt from engine side or from the bottom of a car? Or maybe you have some tips how to do that from inside while wheels are in straight poosiition and I can't unlock steering.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #123
Dibbles00
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M-Sport

I

Last edited by Dibbles00; 05-12-2016 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #124
Dibbles00
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I

Last edited by Dibbles00; 05-12-2016 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:10 PM   #125
Dibbles00
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I

Last edited by Dibbles00; 05-12-2016 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #126
Watford335i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
Consider yourself lucky. As soon as I got the light, my car didn't start until I reset the mechanism so it was fully disengaged and didn't throw the 'lock' error.
Please tell me how you did this. I'm the exact same. Stuck!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #127
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

i fixed my red symbol and disengaged my steering lock, will do a DIY soon

without removal of the column.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 02:53 AM   #128
TurnersInOz
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM335 View Post
i fixed my red symbol and disengaged my steering lock, will do a DIY soon

without removal of the column.
I have a 330i sitting dead in the garage with the ELV locked. Planning on pulling the column tomorrow but would sure appreciate an easier and more sure way to fix the &^%#%$#@^&$%^)*(&@^$&(*) stupid problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:39 AM   #129
MMM335
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnersInOz View Post
I have a 330i sitting dead in the garage with the ELV locked. Planning on pulling the column tomorrow but would sure appreciate an easier and more sure way to fix the &^%#%$#@^&$%^)*(&@^$&(*) stupid problem.
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...d-warning.html
MHD Stage 2+ e60 OTS|VRSF V2 Catless DPs|VRSF 7 Inch FMIC|VRSF Charger Pipes|Turbosmart Supersonic BOV|K&N DCI's|VRSF OEM Silicone Inlets|BMS OCC|FUEL IT STAGE 2|07+ TCU Conversion|XHP Flashtool Stage 3 Race Map|1m Front Bumper|CSL Wing|Aero Rear Bumper|DTM U Shaped LED Angel Eyes with RGB Demon Eyes|M3 Cowl
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 11:51 PM   #130
TurnersInOz
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Thank you MMM335. I've done the reset but no luck.
One thing that is a bit different for me is I have the yellow icon, not red. No codes are thrown and I've reset the counters. No change. This is making me wonder if something is triggering the ELV? If it had failed I'd expect a code to be thrown on unlock failure.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #131
328i-Moh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

I'm stuck in step 11 !!!

How to Turn the Wheel when it is already locked?

I'm working on DIY and stuck on step 11. I'm not able to turn the wheel. It's locked. Any idea? Please help
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 07:12 AM   #132
ahmadarifai
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i

My Experience

i am posting this it might help someone.

the red light light came suddenly while driving, no battery issues and it was a hot day.

the orange light never showed before and after turning off the car the car started normally.

i connected carly for BMW and tried to clear the code while running without success, turned off the car with all dash lights on , the error was cleared and no more RED silly icon!!

the error was 00a00 something like that, "Unknown error", there was also another error in immobilizer system which is also zeros but it said "car watchdog not working..." what the hell does that mean?!

there was one more thing i did but i am not sure if it is relevant, before a week i was coding the car and in the CAS there was "Disable comfort access" i set to deactivate and before attempting final code clear i set it back to active.

btw my car does not have comfort access . i activated to see what it might do.

my car also got stuck in the desert sand 4 days ago i wonder if it is relevant to what triggered this error.
Appreciate 0