E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dashboard creaking

04-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
AWebster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Dashboard creaking

Starting to get really annoying, what do people do to fix things like this? Not even sure where to take it....
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
Pacman83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

It's a process of elimination.
What area is it coming from? Get a passenger to help as it's of course dangerous to do it yourself whilst driving

Have you had any of the dash recently removed? Trim, radio, vents etc?
Sometimes a big change in the weather (temp) can have an effect too. Because the weather has suddenly warmed up, things will expand a little and the opposite at night. It's also worth having a good look around all the screws visible (and a torx too if you have one) there's several torx screws under the glovebox. Give them all a little tweak. Remember too, sometimes a creak can seem to be on the drivers side and turn out to be the opposite.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #3
gsr
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d & M4

I know how annoying it can be. Had an intermittent squeak from the centre portion of the dashboard. Ended up packing behind the temp control unit, radio and satnav module with various foams, anti rattle tape etc.
Helped for a while then came back. Ended up taking all packing off and working on a certain area at a time to eliminate. Ended up being a Torx screw behind temp control unit that needed tightening up. Occasionally the squeak comes back and end up re tightening it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 01:54 AM   #4
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 M2 LCI

I know this pain all to well, got a rattle from just below my centre dash vents, if I push the trim below the vent hard in it will stop for a couple minutes but come back not long after, almost sounds like a broken clip behind the trim
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 01:56 AM   #5
AWebster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Thanks for the replies - will grab some torx bits and have a look at the weekend.
Appreciate 0