E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Just had Ventureshield installed - a bit worried - some Questions

11-18-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Question Just had Ventureshield installed - a bit worried - some Questions

Just had my car Ventureshielded with the front bumper kit and about a quarter of the bonnet.

The first thing I noticed was the unbelievable line across the bonnet (being a black car) when the film ends. The installer who is reputable informed me that it's like freshly cut glass and has a sharp edge that will dull/wear over time and become a lot less noticeable - is this true?

Also there appear to be some sort of textured marks in the film (not bubbles) that I can actually feel with my finger. He told me confidently these should dissapear in a few weeks especially if left out in the sun. Again can I expect this to happen?

Also how do I remove the film?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
ChuckBMW3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 335i

As with any clear bra on a dark car, the line will be slightly noticeable up close. However, once you step back a few feet, it blends in nicely with the paint. As for the edges dulling over time, I am unsure. I have had my clear film on my monaco blue e90 for 2 years and have not noticed any wear over time.

If the marks under film are not bubbles, which will disappear, then it sounds like maybe the installer didn't properly clean your car prior to installation-maybe some debris is stuck under the film? Anyway, that's just my .02, hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
you'll see the line across your hood...

you should have sprang the extra few bucks and gotten full hood protection up to the top of the hood, then you would not see ANY lines.

my experience is my shield became completely free of any waves or distortions after a week or two and the two that i could see at that time were very subtle.
      11-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Not really sure why the line bothers people so much. It is barely noticeable. Would you rather see chips all over your hood?

and when I was price shopping, a full hood installation was significantly more expensive...not just a "few bucks" like mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

The ripples/texturing still hasnt gone. When a car is newly ventureshielded by a professional should there be any sort of VERY obvious imperfections in the film?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
The ripples/texturing still hasnt gone. When a car is newly ventureshielded by a professional should there be any sort of VERY obvious imperfections in the film?
Depends on who installed the film. I see lots of cars up close with paint protection film on them, and easily see defects in the film / defects from the installation process. You need to take into account you're not an average car owner; you have a fine taste in vehicles and how they look.
I'll never get paint protection film installed on my baby because I hate the high amount of orange peel and I know I'd never be satisfied with the look. Knowing this, I can avoid putting myself in a situation in which I might be less-than-pleased.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

It's hard to say without seeing, what you're talking about. But the ripples and texturing may be from the installation. Could happen from over heating and/or over stretching the film. While the line across the hood, IS visible on my car. It's barely visible and disappears very quickly as you take a couple steps back. You can't even tell it's there at all on my front bumper since it goes to the edges. Which is something you could do on your hood if the edge bothers you that much.
As for the orange peel. The factory paint itself has orange peel. And unless you had your car wet sanded...you shouldn't really notice a difference on a quality installed bra.

I have 1/4 hood/fenders, full front bumper/lip, and side mirrors clear bra'd

Last edited by turboawdfanatic; 12-17-2010 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0