E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Need Help With College!!!!!

View Poll Results: Community College ( Which one has better transfer rate?)
De Anza 9 81.82%
Foothill Community 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

03-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla

Exclamation Need Help With College!!!!!

Which community college is better for transfering to UC DAVIS or any UC Or any CSU if you are planning to become medical student.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
...they're community colleges...just take your classes and get prepared for your major. De Anza is probably the better choice... they get better funding.

if your planning on going to medical school, I think the UCs are... UCSF, UCD, UCLA, UCSD... but it shouldn't matter... as long as you take the required set of classes to apply to medical school, it doesn't matter what your major is, and it doesn't matter what college you went to. Getting into UC Davis for undergrad does not increase your chances for getting into their medical grad school.

its not so much of which community college you go to...its more of how you spend your time preparing for the transfer and doing well in your classes... btw med school requirements are like... 1 year of math, 1 year of chem, 1 year of orgo, 1 year of physics, 1 year of bio, and I think a year of English but it might not be that many units...

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
...they're community colleges...just take your classes and get prepared for your major. De Anza is probably the better choice... they get better funding.

if your planning on going to medical school, I think the UCs are... UCSF, UCD, UCLA, UCSD... but it shouldn't matter... as long as you take the required set of classes to apply to medical school, it doesn't matter what your major is, and it doesn't matter what college you went to. Getting into UC Davis for undergrad does not increase your chances for getting into their medical grad school.

its not so much of which community college you go to...its more of how you spend your time preparing for the transfer and doing well in your classes... btw med school requirements are like... 1 year of math, 1 year of chem, 1 year of orgo, 1 year of physics, 1 year of bio, and I think a year of English but it might not be that many units...

HEY... Thanks for the advice... Do you think it will be easier if I go to CSU instead of UC and than go to Medical school????
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
lol I don't know if my biased opinion would be of much help. I'm doing pretty well right now in terms of the core classes that med school requires... but thats only because my highschool prepared me well... Both uc and csu are public schools... should be similar environments... but if I were facing the choice between csu and uc I'd pick UC hands down... better name, perhaps a more competitive environment, and more resources. In terms of it being easier--well college is college, your choosing your future which means how hard you work and your determination will factor into your success. If you don't plan on working at a UC and don't plan on working at CSU, I wouldn't know which to go to... haha.

just go to a UC. I'm thinking of transfering to LA or SD because my gpa is of good standing, but I'm not sure if that will work out.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I would go to De Anza. It's ranked the number 1 CC in California. It's also the cheapest and possibly the most funded. If you plan to work really hard to get into a UC then by all means go to a CC and then transfer. It's a lot cheaper this way since the first 2 years are only for lower division GE classes.

If you dont think you will work that hard to keep your GPA above a 3.0,you should just transfer to a UC if you have the grades because you wouldnt have to struggle to keep a high GPA. G'luck with your decision.

PS- and never, never go to a CSU and then transfer to a UC. I told a friend of mine to go to a CC and then transfer to a UC later. He didnt listen so he went to SFSU. Then after 1 semester he transferred back to De Anza. It's sooo much tougher to transfer from a CSU to a UC. Besides, De Anza pretty has agreements with every possible UC and CSU campuses around here.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
+1 on transfering from 4 year institution to 4 year institution. as you probably know, many of the top UC's have been accepting more students, which means transfers will be harder to get for those transfering from 4year to 4year. for community colleges its a different story b/c after 2 years of CC and an okay GPA (not sure what the #'s are), your guarenteed acceptance in a UC--not sure if its the one of your choice or not. After 2 years of CC, those students are given top priority for possible transfers... I forget what the other categories are but... there are transfers from 4year to 4year, out of state, etc...

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

davis' system is wack! i got rejected from them and lots of pepole who suck got in! i'm currently in the community college system. To transfer to some of the UCs(SD,davis, LA), you sign a contract sometime where you have to keep a certain GPA, and take certain classes then they have to accept you which is what i'm going to do to go to UCDavis

as for med school, i suggest UCSF. They are something like #3 in the country for med stuff. I'm planning to go there for my pharmacy stuff
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
what was ur major? sometimes its better to go undeclared bio science. UCSF is pretty hard to get into... city life is good, housing sucks--but for you its probably convenient. I'm thinking about SD or just going to davis for med school--that is, if I can get in... haha

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 09:38 PM   #9
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Also I was wondering if UC DAVIS have the same system as UC Berkely in term of the way they grade the students since UC Berkely doesn't grade the student by granding scale which is really wack =(
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
davis' system is wack! i got rejected from them and lots of pepole who suck got in! i'm currently in the community college system. To transfer to some of the UCs(SD,davis, LA), you sign a contract sometime where you have to keep a certain GPA, and take certain classes then they have to accept you which is what i'm going to do to go to UCDavis

as for med school, i suggest UCSF. They are something like #3 in the country for med stuff. I'm planning to go there for my pharmacy stuff
I agree.... A friend of mine (who is my prom date) got in and she have only like 3.4 GPA with a extra curriculum. I dont noe how they pick da ppl since my other friend have like 3.7 with all the high classes with alot of extra curriculum such as sports, clubs and etc and still didn't manage to get in Davis. Now WTF is this all about
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 11:01 PM   #11
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
what major? lol... yeah some schools are really weird. I was talking to this one guy from Sacramento who didn't get into LA or SD but got into Berk...

Not sure what you mean for grading scale... Berk is more of a private school than anything. It doesn't use the regular UC structure... but yeah grading scale? Not sure what you mean by that... are you saying like they count A+/A/A- all as A's, B+/B/B- all as B's? or something else?

Grading shouldnt matter too much... its all the same really. Your grade on a test is based off the grades of your peers and some classes will have different grading scales. For instance my English class does not have a curve at all... its soley based on what you get based on papers. However, my chem class uses the regular average + standard deviation curve. Most often the averages are around 60-75%, and the Standard Deviation is around 10-15%. My math teacher uses a similar technique but instead of giving you the average and standard deviation he gives you a set of grades based on a scale... 0-47 is a F, 47-60 is a D, 60-73 is a C, 73-85 is a B, 85+ is an A. Within each letter category, there is the "+" "regular" and "-" grades... and each scale differs depending on the students' performances.

Honestly you shouldn't be concerned about the way schools grade... only thing you have to know in the typical UC class is to stay above the curve --but you probably already know that...

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 11:34 PM   #12
SpecC
Rep

I think that truly proves that their systems are indpendant after all. The people I speak of are much worse than 3.4. Think of a sub 3.0 student who at one point, was not even capable of passing with a 2.0 gets in whereas a 3.8 GPA person gets rejected.

As for grades, I think it is pretty much the same where they count minuses in your GPA. They don't here at Sac City college
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 01:01 PM   #13
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
well it's not so much GPA...

Classes you take/Grades, GPA, Extracurriculars, The essay, SAT, community service are probably the main determining factors of acceptance or rejection. I think people consider the GPA as too high of a determining factor when its really the essay and classes you take that count alot more... if you challenge yourself and do well, it will translate to the gpa--however if you don't challenge yourself and do poorly or challenge yourself and do poorly, it will also be reflected in your gpa.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 02:15 PM   #14
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Classes you take/Grades, GPA, Extracurriculars, The essay, SAT, community service are probably the main determining factors of acceptance or rejection. I think people consider the GPA as too high of a determining factor when its really the essay and classes you take that count alot more... if you challenge yourself and do well, it will translate to the gpa--however if you don't challenge yourself and do poorly or challenge yourself and do poorly, it will also be reflected in your gpa.

Does Extracurriculars still count in CC if you are planning to transfer anyway??? If so what kind of Extracurriculam would u guys recommand me to do ?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #15
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Hey Just4kickz wat college are u going to anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #16
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
your already in college right? or are you in highschool? I keep forgetting. What I listed above is from HS -> College... not CC -> 4 year Institution. extracurriculars shouldn't really matter if your transfering... just get good grades for the classes your taking... obviously if you volunteer somewhere or hold a job while taking classes while having good standing in school, you'll look more favorable... I believe that transfers also have three essays, similar to that of the freshmen applicants. I think there is a fourth essay asking why you want to transfer--I forget.

Contact the admissions offices and go to the websites of these colleges if you have questions. The websites often give requirements for potential transfers--I was looking at the UCSD transfer site for a while and there was plenty of information given...

umm... imo if your going to transfer from CC and you already have a major in mind, find out what classes are required for the major in the college your thinking about going to and see if you can take them at De Anza... you'll have to check assist.org or something to see if the classes are transferable from the specific CC to the specific 4yrcollege. Sometimes, there might not be alot of classes you can take that are specific to your major... which means you'll have to just take the GE's and get those out of the way... I'd talk to admissions for more specific info.

Depending on your major, this may or may not be good... you said you wanted to go to a medical school, so not taking any science clases at the CC wouldn't be good--since there are so many series you would have to accomplish after transferring.

I'm currently a 1st year going to UC Davis as a Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major--planning on changing to another major in College of Bio Sci though... alot of students aren't very aware of how admissions work cause their highschools or community college counslers are crap... My highschool actually has four college counslers for approximately 170 students, whereas the average school would have a similar amount of counslers for a thousand or more students... two of those counslers worked at Santa Clara University's undergrad admissions... yadida.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #17
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

if you're gonna go to a CC you dont even need good grades. You just apply and you're pretty much in. Its what yo do at that CC that counts if you wanna transfer.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #18
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

i was a de anza student ambassador when i attended (a now defunct leadership club). one of the selling points was de anza has the #1 transfer rate in california and is always listed as a top 10 cc in the nation.

that said, both are good choices. follow the curriculum and do well on your work!
      03-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #19
SpecC
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, but think ~1400 SATs and zero extracurriculars. his comprehension of english is pretty terrible so i doubt his essay was very good. I think the only reason he got in was due to the fact that he's from China and that he applied under a major that nearly nobody takes at Davis (economics)

The CC road is a great second opportunity i must say. But if you plan on going to grad school, you better have the grades for all of it to get in
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #20
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, but think ~1400 SATs and zero extracurriculars. his comprehension of english is pretty terrible so i doubt his essay was very good. I think the only reason he got in was due to the fact that he's from China and that he applied under a major that nearly nobody takes at Davis (economics)

The CC road is a great second opportunity i must say. But if you plan on going to grad school, you better have the grades for all of it to get in
1400 on the new scale or the old scale? cause if its the new scale I would be like uhhh... 1400/2100 isn't very good. On the old scale that would be fine... christ four of my cousins got into all the UC's 7-10 years ago with 1200's/1600

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 06:05 PM   #21
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
1400 on the new scale or the old scale? cause if its the new scale I would be like uhhh... 1400/2100 isn't very good. On the old scale that would be fine... christ four of my cousins got into all the UC's 7-10 years ago with 1200's/1600
lol I READ SIR. it's 1400 on the new one which is why I was ranting.

I have a cousin who graduated from UCB and now goes to University of Wisconsin Madison for med school. Another at UCLA. One more at UCB and the last one goes to Davis and is '09!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #22
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
lol I READ SIR. it's 1400 on the new one which is why I was ranting.
lol... shuda took some prep classes... those prep classes didn't help me too much but whatevs... sall over

Appreciate 0