E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Weekend Install Fun - IC and DP's

11-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #45
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliverman View Post
scalbert - you are the man! FMIC and DPs all in one swoop! No children injured is also a plus. I'm on my way to Ga. to see this beast. Congrats and kudos on the DIY thread. Sub'd.
Thanks, but injuries were had but fortunately not to the little hands. In trying to persuade the IC in place, the little finger on my right hand got stuck between the IC and something else. Needless to say, the majority of area below my fingernail is purple and swollen around it. I think I will have about two weeks before that nail completely falls off.

Oh well, just part of it and another reason to have a helping hand.

Unfortunately I had to put the belly pan back on and take it off the stands as I need it tomorrow. I was going to put on the DP's tonight but a house full of sickness changed those plans; my wife and twin daughters are sick so I had to care for them instead. I'll get back on the DP's next weekend though and probably tear down again Friday night.

On a positive note, I did go for a drive and everything appears to be right with no apparent leaks. I couldn't fully test though as the streets are wet. I did try a 3rd gear pull but a friendly officer thought otherwise as he turned on his lights on the other side of a four lane divide road but quickly turned them off and carried on his way.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #46
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewKo View Post
Man, wish I could have been there to help out. I'm still pretty much sick.

Glad to see things are moving along. I can't wait to ride in your car when you are finished up.
Well, you woldn't have gotten Jennifer or the girls sick as they all already are now. To top it off, they are all sleeping in our room so I got booted to the guest bedroom (the bed is actually more comfortable anyway in there).

When you leaving/coming back in town?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #47
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
I think I will have about two weeks before that nail completely falls off
Just went through this, more like 2 months worth of purple digit. Damn thing took way longer than I expected.
      11-25-2008, 11:24 PM   #48
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Thanks for posting the info in this thread scalbert, I found I had to cut out the same areas you did plus some on the bottom- but it's in now.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 01:02 AM   #49
Nexus-6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Scalbert, thanks for the post. You began this thread on the day both of my goodies arrived as well (ar DPs and Helix IC).

Tonight, I had a buddy come over to be that second set of hands and eyes. We spent a good hour trying to get it in tight, as designed, but those areas that Scalbert pointed out simply have to come out on my car as well. We're not little guys, nor were we particularly ginger with our attempts. This struggle turned out to be a good thing because it scored the areas that were making contact (the plastic bits Scalbert trimmed) became white and frayed from the pressure the IC was putting on them. We could also line up the minute scratches on the sides of the intercooler body where the plastic was meeting it. They are simply in the way. My 335i is an October '06 build coupe FWIW.

Another trick we found that helped quite a bit was loosening the fan shroud. You can lift it upwards about 4 inches and it gives you that room down low when installing the IC. To do this, look for the single screw on the upper passenger side of the fan shroud (on the back, pointing towards the front of the car) - it's identical in fact to the silver screws holding the stock IC in place. Remove that, lift the overflow pipe out of its clips atop the shroud and gently bend it back behind the oil filter housing, and then look on the driver side down low...the charge pipe coupler is held in place with a rubber piece on the shroud. You can simply life this clip off the rubber bit and out of the way) and then undo the single clip along the driver side. The shroud will be loose and you can wiggle it up and out a bit. Watch the clip on the charge pipe coupler as it wants to get in the way (just hold it back) and also watch the larger plastic clip on the shroud itself as it wants to get stuck below the top radiator hose. Once its cleared, you can move it up and out of the way.

Sadly, I'm out of cutting discs tonight so I'll have to hit Home Depot tomorrow for replacements before I can Dremel those bits out. Given what was written here, we stopped not once, but twice for a break figuring that we were just doing it wrong. I understand that it needs to be tight, and I assumed for a bit that those pieces remaining on the car would seal off that area as it seems to have been designed. But, there's simply no way this thing is going to get further forward in the car...and that's the issue at hand I think. The little bit of plastic trim on the left and right make contact right at the curve of the IC and you can't push it forward into that frontal area enough to line up the screws. Even centering the IC perfectly on a jack using hockey pucks and 4 hands, we had it as lined up as it could be going up and forward, those plastic pieces occupy the same physical space as the shoulders of the IC need to. You can get one side in, but the other side will be way out of whack this way. I've even left the hoses off to trial fit it, thinking they may be in the way, but no luck.

Scalbert, have you started on the dp install yet? If I'm honest, it looks easier than the IC to me but that's easy to say having not started yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 01:11 AM   #50
Nexus-6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
EDIT - Bill, perfect pictures. I've been to your page before - great stuff! If anyone is looking to see which areas need to be trimmed, check Bills page (in his sig). Perfect.

Trying to decide if I want to go soak in the hot tub with a ceegar and cold beer or scrounge up a 1/8" drill bit now.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 07:45 AM   #51
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus-6 View Post
Scalbert, have you started on the dp install yet? If I'm honest, it looks easier than the IC to me but that's easy to say having not started yet.
Not yet, still busy with an ill household. Plus, I am driving the Odyssey today as I have some appliances to pick up (kitchen remodeling). But should be back on it this weekend or shortly thereafter.

Having done DP's before, they are not too bad with air tools and the right extensions and O2 sensor tools. Space is tight but manageable. Once again, it is all about having the right tools and I have collected my fair share over the years.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 07:47 AM   #52
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus-6 View Post
EDIT - Bill, perfect pictures. I've been to your page before - great stuff! If anyone is looking to see which areas need to be trimmed, check Bills page (in his sig). Perfect.

Trying to decide if I want to go soak in the hot tub with a ceegar and cold beer or scrounge up a 1/8" drill bit now.
I concur, that is a fantastic reference.

As for choices, I vote for the cold beer.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #53
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
I hope you have a heater in you garage.
It seems like it would be pretty cold over there.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #54
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I hope you have a heater in you garage.
It seems like it would be pretty cold over there.
Normal highs this time of year are in the low 60's although it has been a bit cooler lately.

And no, it is not heated, but never gets below about 60 F and that is early in the morning before the sun comes up. It is actually pleasant in the winter. The summer is what kills me out there when the garage temps easily get above 100 F.

Remember, this is Georgia and not someplace in the northeast.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #55
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
Thanks for posting the info in this thread scalbert, I found I had to cut out the same areas you did plus some on the bottom- but it's in now.
BTW, what part of town do you reside?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #56
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Quote:
BTW, what part of town do you reside?
I'm on the other side of town in Loganville, in between Atlanta and Athens.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 09:16 AM   #57
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Normal highs this time of year are in the low 60's although it has been a bit cooler lately.

And no, it is not heated, but never gets below about 60 F and that is early in the morning before the sun comes up. It is actually pleasant in the winter. The summer is what kills me out there when the garage temps easily get above 100 F.

I'll agree.
I'd rather work with a sweatshirt on in 60 degrees than sweaten it up in the summer.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 10:03 AM   #58
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i

Quote:

Don't knock our frigid "northeast"

I'll be doing the Helix FMIC next weekend, WITH a heater
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #59
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Great stuff, plenty of blow-by-blow photos are very helpful!
If that nail is bad have it lanced.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #60
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
If that nail is bad have it lanced.
It is getting better. The blood expansion has subsided and the soreness has lessened. The swelling around the nail has also diminished.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #61
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Where's onefastdoc when you need him?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 12:44 PM   #62
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Just make sure it doesn't get infected when the nail comes off.
I lost a knuckle with this one:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 12:46 PM   #63
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
After looking at that I will surely keep it well cleaned.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #64
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Jeeze, did you stitch that up? Ouch.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #65
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
good god man!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 01:09 PM   #66
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, you woldn't have gotten Jennifer or the girls sick as they all already are now. To top it off, they are all sleeping in our room so I got booted to the guest bedroom (the bed is actually more comfortable anyway in there).

When you leaving/coming back in town?
I hate to hear that your family caught this cold going around. It has taken me a solid 2 1/2 weeks to finally get over it. I think I'm more or less through with it now, just in time for the family to come over for T'giving with the little nieces and nephews who inevitably may get me sick again.

I'm leaving the country on Nov. 30th and returning Dec. 7th. I won a poker trip to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. I'm staying right on the beautiful, Carribbean ocean. It is a World Poker Tour deal, so the main event, to which i won an entry, starts on Wed. If i can win that, I get buy ins to 10 main events in the world poker tour. Nice trip though. The package I won covers airfare, hotel, food and drinks for one week! The resort is all-inclusive, so that's why the food and drink are covered. The hotel is the Bavaro Princess.
Appreciate 0