E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Was BMW Performance Suspension enough for you?

01-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
sutter2k
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Was BMW Performance Suspension enough for you?

I am narrowing down which suspension to go with.

Right now I am between choosing the Performance Suspension or a coilover setup like ->

Tckline SA, HPA Koni SA, Ast 4100's or Tckline DA(though I am looking to stay under 2k)

The stock "sport" is not enough for me. I am looking for my goldilocks setup. Not to soft, not too uncomfortable/harsh. I am not looking for a drop. Maybe a half inch. I would like an increase in performance without going over the edge.

I currently have the m3 subframe bushings, rear sway bar & LSD in the back with m3 front bits.
I may attend 2-3 days a year.

How many of you were perfectly happy with the Performance Suspension. How many later went to something more aggressive? Did you go more aggressive and regret it?

-Matt

Last edited by sutter2k; 01-31-2013 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Crewchief05
SBD
Rep
Drives: 335i e90

Garage List
08 335i  [0.00]
Not trying to thread jack. Did you notice a big difference with the M3 suspension parts? I was thinking about doing this but have read different opinions of worthiness. From the sounds of it, it sounds like their was a difference but not to noticeable. Or are you really just trying to go lower? I have also been looking to find the best set up and its a hard choice when ballin on a budget lol. I think I'm gonna just get adjustable shocks with springs (unknown vendor as of now) since I am not looking to track (for now anyway lol).
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
sutter2k
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewchief05 View Post
Not trying to thread jack. Did you notice a big difference with the M3 suspension parts? I was thinking about doing this but have read different opinions of worthiness. From the sounds of it, it sounds like their was a difference but not to noticeable. Or are you really just trying to go lower? I have also been looking to find the best set up and its a hard choice when ballin on a budget lol. I think I'm gonna just get adjustable shocks with springs (unknown vendor as of now) since I am not looking to track (for now anyway lol).
I'll take a little bit lower, but that is not really the goal. Just to level set I am comming from a STI hatch with many Ast coilovers, upgraded sways and many bushings throughout. I may want things a tad more comfortable and quiet.

I have no regrets about any of the m3 bits. The subframe bushings + rear bay + lsd made a bigger difference. The front bits did give a little better steering feel and turn in. Not an earth shattering difference though.
I installed the front bits myself and used the TSW branded parts to save some costs.

With a tune + fmic + dp its clear this car needs more tire, especially in the front. I like the sport seats over the STI, but this car is clearly heavier and leans more around corners.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
335iSSA
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

I guess the answer depends on what you do with the car. I had the PS and liked it a lot and for the money it is a very good deal. The ride was as good as good, if not better, that the sport suspension and it gave enough performance for the street. I did autoX the car (started after I got the PS) and would have gone with the TC Kline DAs or ASTs if I could have done it again. Hope this helps.

As far as the M3 subframe bushings, I didn't feel it was worth the money or effort. The front bits I liked a lot and they showed the difference in AutoX.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutter2k View Post
I am narrowing down which suspension to go with.

Right now I am between choosing the Performance Suspension or a coilover setup like ->

Tckline SA, HPA Koni SA, Ast 4100's or Tckline DA(though I am looking to stay under 2k)

The stock "sport" is not enough for me. I am looking for my goldilocks setup. Not to soft, not too uncomfortable/harsh. I am not looking for a drop. Maybe a half inch. I would like an increase in performance without going over the edge.

I currently have the m3 subframe bushings, rear sway bar & LSD in the back with m3 front bits.

How many of you were perfectly happy with the Performance Suspension. How many later went to something more aggressive? Did you go more aggressive and regret it?

-Matt
I have PS Kit V2. Went to two HPDEs last fall and was impressed how well the car handled including my instructor. It is much better than sport as the roll is reduced but damping is improved. Of course non-rft are perfect match. The car also dropped a bit, more in rear than front, maybe 1/2".

Considering your other mods and requirements I would say it would meet your needs if you don't want to tinker with adjustments that coilovers provide. The V2 is a very nice upgrade in my opinion. There are no regrets vs. coilovers for now but that can always change. If you are a track junkie you may want to go with c/o.

GL
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

My full experience is here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661278

In brief: I am thoroughly impressed by the BMW PS, even with a mix of the v1 dampers and the v2 springs that I have. I have had on my veedubs neuspeed+bilstein @ passat and h&r+bilstein @ golf, this is both as firm or firmer and more comfortable (yes, the 2 qualities that go against each other), and it didn't drop too much. Lightyears from the ZSP.

To answer your question: v. happy with it.
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
zeenon53
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sounds like you need to go straight to coilovers. I originally had the PS then wanted something more so it now sits on the shelf. My last 3 cars had coilovers, one of which being an sti on teins, I only wanted my car to be a little stiffer like you. Afterwards that wasn't enough, a little lower would be nice. Now I'm on KWv1 and regretting not just getting the v2.....lol
      01-31-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Depends how you drive the car. I haven't taken my car to the track yet so the handling is damn good for spirited driving and ride comfort is also good even with the M3 bushings and control arms. I run Koni sports instead of the PS kit dampers. Only once has the rear end felt a bit soft and I could of lost my license for driving that fast in the mtns.
I'd only consider c/o's if you want to lower the car and run stiffer springs, which would be more suitable at the track.
      02-01-2013, 02:31 AM   #9
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
OP have you considered Ohlins Road & Track kit?

http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/products/bms-mi00/
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
sutter2k
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
OP have you considered Ohlins Road & Track kit?

http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/products/bmsmi00/
I believe they may be a little out of budget. Especially if one has to purchase swift springs afterwards.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604381
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
I believe they may be a little out of budget. Especially if one has to purchase swift springs afterwards.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604381
I started with OEM non-sports suspension on the E90 335d. Was not happy with wallowing, so changed to Bilstein B6 dampers. Was satisfied until I drove somebody else's with the sports pack. First plan was BMW OEM Performance Suspension Kit, M3 Suspension Components Kit, Quaife LSD, and M3 Rear Subframe Bushings.

Current plan, with finger on trigger, is as the last list above, with the exception that I will put on JRZ RS1 1-way adjustable dampers and AC Schnitzer springs, instead of the BMW Performance Suspension Kit.

Truthfully this is way out of my budget also, but being retired this is my only toy (and probably last car) and I can work part-time to pay for extras like this.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
MikeR1994
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 325i, 05 325Ci (RIP)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
When I was just starting to look at coilovers and weighing different options I asked a BMW tech what he thought of the BMW PS kit in comparison to aftermarket parts in the same, or even a little lower, price range. He said the PS was really not worth it in his opinion. He didn't think it was that drastic of an improvement over stock. Not that it isn't a good deal better, I just don't personally think it's worth the asking price.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:

Consider THIS

Add a front M sway - assume you have rear M sway - and you're largely there.

Shade over $2k and you add rear M camber arms HERE

I have the latter - all street use, have yet to find a limit to grip. Rather amazing, yet comfortable. Bit firmer at low speed, sporty rather than a problem.

It'll stiffen yer nips - recommended by everyone I've noticed has it.

Bonus: After install, pothole explosion ceased. I credit that to Yellows, Delrin, and linear Eibachs. Good juju I guarantee.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i MT

Hmmmm...are the Perf Suspension springs a pure BMW spec or are they maybe an Eibach rebranded? Any idea what the spring rates are on them vs. Sport Suspension rates? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
Malibu1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Charger HC, Backdraft Cobra

I had sport and went with the BMW Performance kit that Tischer sold a couple years ago. I paired it with the BMW yellow springs and it was perfect. I swapped out for about a week with KWV2 but liked the Tischer kit with the yellows better and went back to that in the car. Have 25K miles on them and they are still holding up like the day I put them on.
      02-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #16
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu1 View Post
I had sport and went with the BMW Performance kit that Tischer sold a couple years ago. I paired it with the BMW yellow springs and it was perfect. I swapped out for about a week with KWV2 but liked the Tischer kit with the yellows better and went back to that in the car. Have 25K miles on them and they are still holding up like the day I put them on.
Thank you for your input. Just curious though before I place the order ( because I have the 2 suspensions you just mentioned on my radar)....what were your main reasons for switching back to the BMW Perf Suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #17
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjellyneck View Post
Hmmmm...are the Perf Suspension springs a pure BMW spec or are they maybe an Eibach rebranded? Any idea what the spring rates are on them vs. Sport Suspension rates? Thanks.
Posted on BMW's website 30% firmer tham sport susp springs
      02-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #18
Daily_Driver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i MT

Malibu.... does the PS feel like its 30% stiffer on the E92? Most reports that I read certainly do not lead me to think it feels like its 30% stiffer....
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #19
sutter2k
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu1 View Post
What aspect about the Performance Suspension did you like better than the KW V2's?

Comfort or handling?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What aspect about the Performance Suspension did you like better than the KW V2's?

Comfort or handling?
I have the stock ZSP sport suspension and want tighter handling, and will give up a little bit of ride comfort...so that's the core of my search.
I had a 2002 Audi S4 and installed matching springs and dampers. Almost no change in ride quality but the handling improved in every aspect. I'm trying to mirror that. Thank you for any and all input and opinions.

Last edited by jjellyneck; 02-20-2013 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #21
sutter2k
Banned
United_States
Rep

^^ that was @Malibu1, but okay
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #22
TheM3Boy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

I have a 335i with the M-Package on it and the suspension feels very tight. Is it stiffer than the sport?
Appreciate 0