E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > datalog question

11-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #23
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
looks like you got a couple of retard events, not sure if your dme is still hunting perfect timing or not.
+1 on this. Sorry i missed it earlier. There are several places where your timing drops by ~2-3 deg. it shouldn't do this. Its likely that the map/boost level is just too much for your conditions and octane. I'd suggest adding octane and/or dropping boost target until you can see the timing curve have no negative slope during a 3rd gear pull to redline.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #24
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

What are your mods?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #25
scottro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sear View Post
+1 on this. Sorry i missed it earlier. There are several places where your timing drops by ~2-3 deg. it shouldn't do this. Its likely that the map/boost level is just too much for your conditions and octane. I'd suggest adding octane and/or dropping boost target until you can see the timing curve have no negative slope during a 3rd gear pull to redline.
Hrmm okay I'll play around with that. I hear AZ gas is pretty shitty, so maybe we are on to something.

When you say dropping boost target, do you mean Start Boost in %? Mine is currently set at 14% for MAP1, which from my understanding of how this works, mean I would have a target boost value of:

(1 - 0.14)*map1_boostvalue + 0.14*map2_boostvalue

for any given rpm range. Is that right?? So I'm heavily favoring the value for Boost Target (0%) map. And for some reason it only lets you go to 10%, so if I wanted to actually lower boost even more I'd have to start changing the Boost Target table.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #26
scottro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
What are your mods?
100% stock except the procede
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #27
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Hey fellow AZer... we do have to be a little more conservative then others due to gas, altitude, dry air. Off meth I'm around 13psi peak with more taper in the top (full bolt ons) for smooth timing. I had to change the tables. Wait until the summer, gets much worse.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #28
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
Hey fellow AZer... we do have to be a little more conservative then others due to gas, altitude, dry air. Off meth I'm around 13psi peak with more taper in the top (full bolt ons) for smooth timing. I had to change the tables. Wait until the summer, gets much worse.
Its even worse in CO at 6k ft

OP, just drop start boost % in small increments and watch your peak boost and timing curve with each step doing a few 3rd gear pulls each time you make a change. Shiv did say in an early post that even stg1 was designed for 93oct minimally unless your running meth too.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #29
scottro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
hey .. thanks, good to know. I'll see where my timing table becomes smooth and keep in mind your 13psi target.

There's a gas station near firebird raceway which I think sells race gas.. I may have to try a tank of that out
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:28 PM   #30
scottro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sear View Post
Its even worse in CO at 6k ft

OP, just drop start boost % in small increments and watch your peak boost and timing curve with each step doing a few 3rd gear pulls each time you make a change. Shiv did say in an early post that even stg1 was designed for 93oct minimally unless your running meth too.

Okay, will do. The main reason I'm on the aggressive maps is I like the richer fuel targets.. I suppose I could go back to 7-29 and try to copy over the air/fuel ratio's from aggressive maps?
Appreciate 0