E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > How to get to 400hp??

11-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #45
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax95gtr View Post
Well to the BMW pe response ... Any bids?? And I don't mind a little drone and noise and neither does the wife we both ride bikes with pipes so she likes the noise just don't want it to be annoying.. And what else other than LSD??? Was I on the right path with M3 suspension set up IE rear swing arms bushings etc?? And springs and shocks still unsure don't want much lower maybe 10-20mm lower just want better handling and since I'll also be doing 19's and full mtec kit trying not to loose drivability in ref to bumps and curbs.. I scratch the bumper enough as is w stock sports suspension
The M3 front control arms are very important. Rears are really only necessary if you're running high spring rates (750 or higher) and/or r-compound tires on the track.

Regarding coilovers- the higher the price, the higher the quality; quite simple. In my opinion, the best qualityrice value at the moment is the AST 4100s, or the 5100s. If you're going to be doing road course driving, camber plates are absolutely necessary.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #46
madmax95gtr
FBO WTF!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 99 Tacoma, 03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Some people think BMW PE Downpipes are too raspy so you may have to add resonators if you go down that path.
yeah I hear ya.. Like to see vids of that... I like the sound of e60 m5's w esiman exhaust.. Mind u ours will never sound like a v10 but I dont mind if it sounded loud just dislike excess drone.. I have golf tee mod and it sounds super quiet to me if that gives some perspective??

V710 19x9.5 Square|H&R Sport Springs|6000k D1S|Blacklines|Procede v5|HKS BOV|Stett CP|BMS DCI|Raceland DP|BigTom IC|M2 Exhaust|AEM Meth|M3 Front Bumper|
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #47
madmax95gtr
FBO WTF!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
Quote:
Well to the BMW pe response ... Any bids?? And I don't mind a little drone and noise and neither does the wife we both ride bikes with pipes so she likes the noise just don't want it to be annoying.. And what else other than LSD??? Was I on the right path with M3 suspension set up IE rear swing arms bushings etc?? And springs and shocks still unsure don't want much lower maybe 10-20mm lower just want better handling and since I'll also be doing 19's and full mtec kit trying not to loose drivability in ref to bumps and curbs.. I scratch the bumper enough as is w stock sports suspension
The M3 front control arms are very important. Rears are really only necessary if you're running high spring rates (750 or higher) and/or r-compound tires on the track.

Regarding coilovers- the higher the price, the higher the quality; quite simple. In my opinion, the best qualityrice value at the moment is the AST 4100s, or the 5100s. If you're going to be doing road course driving, camber plates are absolutely necessary.
yeah I'll prob upgrade all the way around just in case I decide to track her... But I prefer springs and shocks vice coilovers for reg street driving... Just had bad experience with coil overs... Had k2 coilovers on my maxima and they were 2000 $$ and they were noisey and too stiff etc..

V710 19x9.5 Square|H&R Sport Springs|6000k D1S|Blacklines|Procede v5|HKS BOV|Stett CP|BMS DCI|Raceland DP|BigTom IC|M2 Exhaust|AEM Meth|M3 Front Bumper|
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #48
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Some people think BMW PE + Downpipes are too raspy so you may have to add resonators if you go down that path.
I am from that camp as well haha.

Quote:
yeah I hear ya.. Like to see vids of that... I like the sound of e60 m5's w esiman exhaust.. Mind u ours will never sound like a v10 but I dont mind if it sounded loud just dislike excess drone.. I have golf tee mod and it sounds super quiet to me if that gives some perspective??
I would pay any amount of money and tolerate any amount of drone in an exhaust setup that could make the n54 sound like an e60 m5 with e-man. It is one of my FAV setups...DAMNN that things sounds amazing haha.

As for suspension make sure to look into m3 subframe bushings. If I was going to only add one piece of m3 parts to my suspension it would be the subframe bushings.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #49
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
yeah I'll prob upgrade all the way around just in case I decide to track her... But I prefer springs and shocks vice coilovers for reg street driving... Just had bad experience with coil overs... Had k2 coilovers on my maxima and they were 2000 $$ and they were noisey and too stiff etc..
Don't worry about that bad experience... your in a whole new ballgame and coilovers is the way to go over here! You can dial them in to your personal taste.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #50
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
I am from that camp as well haha.
Yeah if vanguard did an exhaust for the 135i I would be all over it

For the time being I am ok with raspiness of BMW PE + DP, every now and then I contemplate whether to replace my midpipe with a resonated midpipe though.....
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #51
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Yeah if vanguard did an exhaust for the 135i I would be all over it

For the time being I am ok with raspiness of BMW PE + DP, every now and then I contemplate whether to replace my midpipe with a resonated midpipe though.....
Go forrr it! If I could live with a completely catless setup... I would just cut out my secondary cats and throw in a set of small resonators. Sounds great, gets a bit louder under throttle and kills of all the rasp.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #52
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Go forrr it! If I could live with a completely catless setup... I would just cut out my secondary cats and throw in a set of small resonators. Sounds great, gets a bit louder under throttle and kills of all the rasp.
I am completely broke after Black Friday

Why can't you live going completely catless?

Do you have any video of anyone that has done BMW PE + DP + Resonator and no cats?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #53
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
I am completely broke after Black Friday

Why can't you live going completely catless?

Do you have any video of anyone that has done BMW PE + DP + Resonator and no cats?
A local member from my area has it done, it sounds GREAT! He was driving infront of me on the way to a meet and it sounded just like the PE minus the rasp and the weird metallic echos between shifts and it was a bit louder without the secondaries... definitely sounded great and very raceyy. Everytime he took off from the lights even without being WOT it sounded very nice.

Doctor side of me is telling me that the health risks involved with a catless vehicle are way way way too dangerous/real to take a chance with. There are many people on this forum who would argue otherwise though.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #54
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That has nothing to do with coilovers in general; the only thing that is different between coilovers and shocks is the threaded body for ride height adjustment. Never heard of K2 coilovers; but if you had that experience it is because you chose too stiff of a spring rate and/or improper installation or something was broken.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #55
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
A local member from my area has it done, it sounds GREAT! He was driving infront of me on the way to a meet and it sounded just like the PE minus the rasp and the weird metallic echos between shifts and it was a bit louder without the secondaries... definitely sounded great and very raceyy. Everytime he took off from the lights even without being WOT it sounded very nice.

Doctor side of me is telling me that the health risks involved with a catless vehicle are way way way too dangerous/real to take a chance with. There are many people on this forum who would argue otherwise though.
Damnit

You are tempting me...

I wonder if putting the stock resonator back in would still make it sounds as nice....

What resonator did that person put in on his car do you know?

really fully catless is a major health risk?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #56
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Damnit

You are tempting me...

I wonder if putting the stock resonator back in would still make it sounds as nice....

What resonator did that person put in on his car do you know?

really fully catless is a major health risk?
Depends how much of it get's into the cabin and how much you breath in. But I'd rather start smoking than breath in the junk coming out of my tailpipes when catless.

Vibrant Resonators.... 1792 I believe is the part #. Should sound great with this installed. I'm not sure how much quieter it might make the exhaust but it will eliminate pertty much all of the rasp.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #57
taylors335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 08 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.00]
Quote:
Some people think BMW PE + Downpipes are too raspy so you may have to add resonators if you go down that path.
thats the setup i think sounds the best a few of my buds have various combos of exhaust / dp , but the bmw perf. and catless dp's sounds sick !! none of that "farting" import sound heard by some other exhaust !
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #58
akotten
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3

Quote:
Tune + Meth + DCI = easiest way
This.

Do a ton of research to determine which tune suits your taste best, and then find a meth kit to pair it with. For me its Procede and PWM Meth. To each their own though.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 02:41 AM   #59
madmax95gtr
FBO WTF!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G;10878331

[QUOTE=madmax95gtr;10878299
I would pay any amount of money and tolerate any amount of drone in an exhaust setup that could make the n54 sound like an e60 m5 with e-man. It is one of my FAV setups...DAMNN that things sounds amazing haha.

As for suspension make sure to look into m3 subframe bushings. If I was going to only add one piece of m3 parts to my suspension it would be the subframe bushings.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know almost made me buy a m5 just couldn't think about the repair and maintenance on one lol.. But for suspension I'm deft gonna do front and rear lower control arms and bushings an tie rods from the m3 and prob the BMW perf suspension setup just a little lower better performance all around as well a m3 front And rear sway bars an the m3 19's w better tire these rft's are horrible and expensive just had a nail in one and the dealer said they couldn't repair it so 400$ later and a new front tire I'm over them!!! But as far as exhaust I'll be doing those new DP's that were just released for like 400$ and the procede and prob Akrapovic or BMW perf exhaust ifbit sounds good enough and then DCI and the full mtech kit as well as a lip spoiler.. I think that's it for my build for he next few months most of which will come in April after tax refund!! Oh and hid fog and led AE's ... What am I missing???? Thoughts??

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:34 AM   #60
socalfaded
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: STONED TURBO

Is it possible to hit 400/400 with FBO and Cobb Protune?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:59 AM   #61
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalfaded View Post
Is it possible to hit 400/400 with FBO and Cobb Protune?
this girl is making 415/460 cobbs OTS map Stage 2+ aggresive. With a protune should make even more.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601665
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #62
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

@ OP, please dont let my questioning doubt you about others response...

Now to everyone else. Why do you need meth meth meth to get 400 whp ? Why cant FMIC, DPs, Exhaust, a True CAI, bigger OC and a proper tune get 400 whp by itself ?

Just doesnt make sense why everytime meth is in the equation to get that target number hp.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #63
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post

Now to everyone else. Why do you need meth meth meth to get 400 whp ? Why cant FMIC, DPs, Exhaust, a True CAI, bigger OC and a proper tune get 400 whp by itself ?

Just doesnt make sense why everytime meth is in the equation to get that target number hp.
Meth is not necessary at all; that's just the easiest way to achieve 400whp.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #64
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer View Post
this girl is making 415/460 cobbs OTS map Stage 2+ aggresive. With a protune should make even more.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601665
Wow those numbers are impressive. I don't think I've seen any other dyno's from cobb stage 2+ over 400 hp.

ETS 5" Intercooler, Stett charge pipe, and Stett intake are going on this week and AR DP's are on order. If I could get to 400 whp with Cobb stage 2+ I would be a very happy camper.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #65
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post

It's cheaper to buy tune+DCI+meth...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #66
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
It's cheaper to buy tune+DCI+meth...
Oh yes the magic word