E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Logic7/Harman Kardon: replacement of the MOST OEM amp

Closed Thread

02-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #23
yhasan
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
if you haven't any connected to factory HU via MOST you should'n have problem with this
you should check wiring between eonon and hifi amp or post here final wiring diagram
I will post a final wiring shortly. Just to be clear, the factory HU had MOST connected to it originally. Below is the pic of the unit and the harness I unplugged. You will see that MOST was connected.

Back of my OEM HU:

Pic of harness connected to the OEM HU (note the green fiber optic cables):

However for what reason it's connected is a mystery to me since my PL2 HIFI Lear amp pictured below only accepts analog. My theory is that it's prep for comm and cd changer.

My hifi amp:

As for the connection with the eonon an hifi amp, it's making me scratching my head because the harness has RCA plugs coming out of it. This is different than the one they show on their product page. Here's the difference between what I got from them and what is posted on their website side by side below. My guess is it's extra over and above what's being fed to the hifi amp, but too bad there's darn no manual!

Having said all that, does not terminating the MOST fibre optic cables have anything to do with no sound or is it because the harness they gave me has speaker outputs as RCA and it's actually not going anywhere?

Last edited by yhasan; 02-28-2015 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #24
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Usually the set up for speaker outs instead or low level

Usually the set up for speaker outs instead or low level
Read the first document. But you should still have sound if
the Hi Fi is powered up providing you have the correct harness
for the car.
Hi Fi amp may not be powered up.
Time to get out the Voltmeter.
Also I would search for the Enon thread here as those
guys have direct experience with it.

Last edited by ctuna; 02-27-2015 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #25
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

There are no inputs to your HiFi OEM amp from your aftermarket HU. You were provided with a harness that is designed for an aftermarket amp and not for an OEM amp.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #26
yhasan
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
There are no inputs to your HiFi OEM amp from your aftermarket HU. You were provided with a harness that is designed for an aftermarket amp and not for an OEM amp.
I traced the RCAs and they map back to pines different from the 8 core speaker leads such as rear/front + or -.

The RCAs in question are from the 2 sets of connector 12 pines:
  • line out left
  • line out gnd
  • line out right
  • aux input left
  • nav/tv audio +
  • Tape right -
  • nav bus
  • nav/tv audio -

Key question: Do these need to be plugged to the amp or something else. OR can I ignore them? I'm basing it on the diagram I found here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=head+unit

Another question I have in my mind is: what pin from HUD would correspond to the remote start wire to the amp from 40 pin harness? I have this one blue wire labelled as "amp-con" hanging off the harness not connected to anything. I think that may be the reason the amp is remaining off, hence no sound. My next step will be to use my multimeter on the amp side. But please confirm if the remote start needs to map to something off the head unit and into the amp or is that taken care by the pines mapped to 12V DC and 12ACC as per the wiring diagram found in the link above.

Thanks to all that have helped so far. I feel a lot more empowered!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #27
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

this oem amp processing balanced audio inputs
your eonon do not provide such outputs
it is easier in this situation replace oem amp with aftermarket
      02-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #28
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
this oem amp processing balanced audio inputs
your eonon do not provide such outputs
it is easier in this situation replace oem amp with aftermarket
A balanced-inputs amp can use un-balanced signals. An un-balanced-inputs amp cannot use balanced-inputs.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #29
yhasan
Canada
Rep

So if understood technics comment, there is still a possibility I can make this work? Or am I still out of luck? Please confirm. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #30
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhasan View Post
So if understood technics comment, there is still a possibility I can make this work? Or am I still out of luck? Please confirm. Thanks.
You need to get the correct harness for your car and then it will work. The OEM amp is known for accepting high level inputs of up to 15W.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #31
yhasan
Canada
Rep

Successful install finally

Got it to work with the same harness (with 1 minor modification) and finished the installation today and it's working perfectly.

My theory that the remote power signal pin #13 wasn't slotted in the 40-pin harness, causing the hifi amp to stay off was true.

Thanks goes out to ptpending for raising the issue re:hifi amp power, ctuna for the links to the wiring diagrams and Technic for confirming that my setup was going to work. You guys are great!

This was my first DIY install on my car (more to come in the future for sure).

Here's some pics below for those curious about what I did:
  1. The 40-pin harness didn't have pin #13 slotted in the connector, and I had no idea where i could get extra pins:
  2. Since I had no use for the extra 17-pin harness they sent me and since it had the same size pins, I yanked one of the wires from it and joined it to the hanging blue wire labelled ANT. I had a good feeling this wire was the Remote On wire that needed to be connected:
  3. I installed the head unit in my car like before but this time I cajoled pin #13 through the connector to the OEM port.
  4. I powered on the head unit and all was well. My heated seat switches still need a home as you can see from the pic. I'm waiting for a relocation ashtray in the mail:

Hopefully this helps anyone else who decides to go with the Eonon GA5165 unit and has issues. I didn't bother emailing customer support for a new harness since they pretty much wrote me off since I told them that I had fiber optic inputs despite having the hifi package. I'm glad my persistence paid off!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #32
Bmw_Crazy
First Lieutenant
Mozambique
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhasan View Post
Got it to work with the same harness (with 1 minor modification) and finished the installation today and it's working perfectly.

My theory that the remote power signal pin #13 wasn't slotted in the 40-pin harness, causing the hifi amp to stay off was true.

Thanks goes out to ptpending for raising the issue re:hifi amp power, ctuna for the links to the wiring diagrams and Technic for confirming that my setup was going to work. You guys are great!

This was my first DIY install on my car (more to come in the future for sure).

Here's some pics below for those curious about what I did:
  1. The 40-pin harness didn't have pin #13 slotted in the connector, and I had no idea where i could get extra pins:
  2. Since I had no use for the extra 17-pin harness they sent me and since it had the same size pins, I yanked one of the wires from it and joined it to the hanging blue wire labelled ANT. I had a good feeling this wire was the Remote On wire that needed to be connected:
  3. I installed the head unit in my car like before but this time I cajoled pin #13 through the connector to the OEM port.
  4. I powered on the head unit and all was well. My heated seat switches still need a home as you can see from the pic. I'm waiting for a relocation ashtray in the mail:

Hopefully this helps anyone else who decides to go with the Eonon GA5165 unit and has issues. I didn't bother emailing customer support for a new harness since they pretty much wrote me off since I told them that I had fiber optic inputs despite having the hifi package. I'm glad my persistence paid off!

So just to make shure after that you didn't have to replace the amp?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #33
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I believe the last guy had Hi Fi not Top Hi Fi l7 to confuse you

I believe the last guy had Hi Fi not Top Hi Fi l7 to confuse you
he hijacked the thread . The only aftermarket HU that will work
with the L7 amp is the Dynavin N6 with the L7 adapter since no
one else makes and adapter for Analog to BMW optic signals.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #34
yhasan
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw_Crazy View Post
So just to make shure after that you didn't have to replace the amp?
Correct. No need to replace the amplifier. I don't have logic7 just the hifi package.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 03:27 AM   #35
cdarbro
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

yhasan:

thanks for the tip on the amp wire, worked great. question, are you having any issue with the clock on it resetting if the car is off for too long, as well as the radio not remembering the favorite stations in that same scenario?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 07:23 AM   #36
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

By the way... the purpose of this thread is not to troubleshoot issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 06:12 PM   #37
yhasan
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdarbro View Post
yhasan:

thanks for the tip on the amp wire, worked great. question, are you having any issue with the clock on it resetting if the car is off for too long, as well as the radio not remembering the favorite stations in that same scenario?
I just sent you a private message. Check your inbox.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #38
dips1982
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 325i

hi,

Ive just purchased one of these headunits but im having trouble with the parking sensors. They just dont work, ive tried the settings but still dont get anything.
any ideas?
many thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #39
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Why this thread is being used for something other than Logic7 OEM amp replacement?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread