Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire Recommendation Needed

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328i

Tire Recommendation Needed

Obligatory Photo:

I recently got a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. My expectations were very high when I put these on. So, of course, I think these are amazing tires. Steering response is better, car has better road feel with better high-speed stability. Most impressively, these have DEATH-GRIP in dry as well as in dry.

I run an OEM staggered 18" setup with non-sports suspension. I WILL have coil-vers done soon, but I find these to have a rougher ride that I expected, especially on uneven surfaces. I know it's suppose to be improved road feel, but I feel like this is unnecessary jitters and vibrations that are coming through. Hard bumps and pot holes make me feel like I don't have any shocks under there. Also, though some people say these are quiet tires, I find these are louder on anything but super smooth surfaces. I think the stock Bridgestone's are way quieter. Then, there is too much grip for my taste. The car understeer like a font-wheel-drive car with these. I know this helps with high-speed stability, but cornering is less fun.

Can anyone recommend me a tire that is in this level of performance, but do better on above short comings?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr
Obligatory Photo:

I recently got a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. My expectations were very high when I put these on. So, of course, I think these are amazing tires. Steering response is better, car has better road feel with better high-speed stability. Most impressively, these have DEATH-GRIP in dry as well as in dry.

I run an OEM staggered 18" setup with non-sports suspension. I WILL have coil-vers done soon, but I find these to have a rougher ride that I expected, especially on uneven surfaces. I know it's suppose to be improved road feel, but I feel like this is unnecessary jitters and vibrations that are coming through. Hard bumps and pot holes make me feel like I don't have any shocks under there. Also, though some people say these are quiet tires, I find these are louder on anything but super smooth surfaces. I think the stock Bridgestone's are way quieter. Then, there is too much grip for my taste. The car understeer like a font-wheel-drive car with these. I know this helps with high-speed stability, but cornering is less fun.

Can anyone recommend me a tire that is in this level of performance, but do better on above short comings?
I'm confused... You said there's a lot of grip and then lots of understeer? :S

If you have lots of grip up front there should be less understeer. What's the stagger difference between your front and rear tires? Understeer is bound to happen on rwd cars when the grip in the rear is far greater than up front.

Also have you gotten an alignment done lately?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep

Yea, I understand your confusion.

I have OEM 162's. 225 up front and 255 in the back. With stock tires, car was neutral to me. With PSS's I think there is too much grip in the back. Car leans and sways too much and promote understeer just like any FWD car back in the day.

My alignment is up to spec, done after tires were put on.

I think I need coil-overs with a stiffer rear sway bar in the back.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
New suspension will likely help. Honestly though, for the price I don't know if you'll really find anything that's much of an improvement over the PSS. I'm kind of surprised that you would like to switch them out for something else.
      03-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport LMB

Garage List
Something doesn't sound right about your corner issues.

Regarding comfort, did you go from OEM run flats to PS run flats or standard?
      03-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
abhishriv
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
Yea, I understand your confusion.

I have OEM 162's. 225 up front and 255 in the back. With stock tires, car was neutral to me. With PSS's I think there is too much grip in the back. Car leans and sways too much and promote understeer just like any FWD car back in the day.

My alignment is up to spec, done after tires were put on.

I think I need coil-overs with a stiffer rear sway bar in the back.

pss is one of the best tires you can get out there before you start getting into things which are more street/track.
suggestions would be to upgrade your suspension like you mentioned or upgrade the front tires to something like 235s. also might look into running a bit more camber up front. the harsh ride might be due to higher tire pressure. what psi are you at?

also, if harsher ride is bothering you, might not be in your best interest to go coilovers
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
pss is one of the best tires you can get out there before you start getting into things which are more street/track.
suggestions would be to upgrade your suspension like you mentioned or upgrade the front tires to something like 235s. also might look into running a bit more camber up front. the harsh ride might be due to higher tire pressure. what psi are you at?

also, if harsher ride is bothering you, might not be in your best interest to go coilovers
I run 36 front and 42 back PSI.

I want to get coilovers but want to stay near sports suspension height.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:

You need to check your pressure against the PSS arrows on the sidewall to properly determine the pressure for your car. Place a white wax mark next to the arrow, go for a drive and see if need to reduce or increase the pressure.

This is the first step. It is a very important step to ensure best handling and ride with the tire.

It is a small arrow.
      03-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
abhishriv
Major
Rep

Quote:

seems like you just want to improve handling without lowering, i would start with things like the sway bars and bushings
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vreimann View Post
You need to check your pressure against the PSS arrows on the sidewall to properly determine the pressure for your car. Place a white wax mark next to the arrow, go for a drive and see if need to reduce or increase the pressure.

This is the first step. It is a very important step to ensure best handling and ride with the tire.

It is a small arrow.
I am trying to find the arrow...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
Clammy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

Quote:

It is a small arrow.
Hmmm... can you elaborate on this technique, please? I have a set of PSS coming for my 2008 328i (with sport suspension), and I've never heard of checking tire pressure in this fashion.

Thanks.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammy View Post
Hmmm... can you elaborate on this technique, please? I have a set of PSS coming for my 2008 328i (with sport suspension), and I've never heard of checking tire pressure in this fashion.

Thanks.

Cheers!
Neither have I...

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
VMRWheels
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:

It is a small arrow.
I've never heard of this before. How will you determine if you should increase or decrease your pressure?
      03-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep

Basically, you draw a line through where the thread pattern ends and where the side wall begins (most tires are marked for with a triangle) with a chalk. You go drive around normally and check where the chalk has been faded. If the fade is towards the sidewall, pressure is too low, if the fade is towards the thread pattern, tire pressure is too high.

There is a write-up on this board for this somewhere.

My question is: PSS's don't have a triangle mark?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #15
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
Neither have I...
Hi Gary,

The PSS has a little arrow on the sidewall pointing with the tip pointing towards the tread. I never heard of this either. Learned about it from a fellow on this board.

Truthfully I learn lots of stuff about my car on this board and I loved this trick for the PSS because once I got it good, they are really good and I wrote it down.
      03-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #16
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hi Gary,

The PSS has a little arrow on the sidewall pointing with the tip pointing towards the tread.
Anyone got a photo of this? I just went through my PSS's and never found one
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #17
VMRWheels
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Basically, you draw a line through where the thread pattern ends and where the side wall begins (most tires are marked for with a triangle) with a chalk. You go drive around normally and check where the chalk has been faded. If the fade is towards the sidewall, pressure is too low, if the fade is towards the thread pattern, tire pressure is too high.

There is a write-up on this board for this somewhere.

My question is: PSS's don't have a triangle mark?
Hmm, that's interesting. Never heard of this method before, but that's something I'd check out/consider.
      03-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #18
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep

Michelin is not answering my email. Could anyone confirm the arrow on PSS's?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
Clammy
Captain
Canada
Rep

I just got my brand new set of PSS tires today, and I went over the sidewalls with a fine toothed comb. No sign of an arrow. The closest thing I could see to that would be the Michelin Man pointing to the tread line:

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammy View Post
I just got my brand new set of PSS tires today, and I went over the sidewalls with a fine toothed comb. No sign of an arrow. The closest thing I could see to that would be the Michelin Man pointing to the tread line:

Cheers!
Nice! I did the same thing, noticed that and smaller Michelin men on the edge of the thread them selves...

I emailed Tire Rack, hope to get an answer
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
Clammy
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Nice! I did the same thing, noticed that and smaller Michelin men on the edge of the thread them selves...

I emailed Tire Rack, hope to get an answer
Really? Got pics of the small guys? I can't see them on my tires.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #22
sle39lvr
Captain
Rep

I got the pic off from somewhere else online, but those little Michelin Men marks are all around the tire. Wonder if they mean anything. Wish someone can take a better pic...
Appreciate 0