E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > <PROBLEM ID'ed> Anyone else experience creaking with M3 sways?

10-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #23
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Reporting back in - found the problem and partially fixed it. The sound is not coming from the sways at all...

..it's a combination of the front spring perches and the race camber plates. One of the symptoms of the sound was that when the coils were freshly installed the first time, they made zero noise until after the first rain. Since then they have been different levels of noisy- but always making some sound.

Did a lot of digging on teh interwebz and finally found consistent reports of folks getting noise from linear springs + thrust sheets + race camber plates due to dirt working its way between the springs and the spring perches. Since the thrust sheets allow rotation, any dirt and tiny rocks wedged in there make noise and vibrate through the spring, getting amplified and then being solidly coupled to the chassis through the race camber plates, getting further amplified by the chassis into the cabin.

(Partial) solution: I cleaned the upper and lower perch surfaces of all dirt and then greased all potential sliding surfaces with energy suspension waterproof grease - ironically the same stuff I used on the sway bar bushings I purchased. This stuff last a LONG time and was the recommended solution for others with this problem.

The sound has been greatly reduced, but not eliminated. I have another idea to slightly decouple the spring noise from the chassis - I'm going to cut a 0.1" sheet of Buna-N rubber (50A durometer) into a ring the same shape as the top ring of the Vorshlag camber plates and install them in between the plates and the chassis as a damper pad. Being so thin, I don't expect it to damp all noise out, but it should help some with the higher frequency noises which these are mostly comprised of. Will report back once installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #24
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
EDIT: Identified and partially solved the problem... see here

I'm wondering if it's the M3 bushings... I recently had quite a bit of suspension work done on my car and everything was whisper quiet.... until it rained. Since then and particularly when the car is colder I have a very obnoxious low-frequency creaking/squeaking coming from mostly the front end (but there may be a bit in the back too) when going over larger bumps or offset bumps. The behavior and nature of the squeak leads me to believe it's the M3 sway bushings being too tight and not lubricated properly (Redline CV grease was used, which may not have the waterproof qualities that a silicone based paste does).

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and if so, did simply regreasing the bushes solve the problem for you? I will probably do this with the proper silicone lube but wanted to check in for other ideas and perhaps other things to look at.

Crossed off the list:
- the coils and camber plates are solidly installed. there are no loose parts or undertorqued nuts
- all suspension arms are torqued down and do not demonstrate play
- steering and handling feel great, just noisy

FWIW i am running the 28mm e93 bar up front and the 22.5mm e92 bar in rear with all the respective OEM brackets and bushings. Rest of mods in sig.

Thanks in advance to those who respond
Although two posts below the one I am quoting I said I was having no chronic noises, I have discovered this cold winter that I have noises that sound like the tops of the struts rubbing against something on all four corners when they get compressed by a road "imperfection". This only happens when it is quite cold, not when it warms up. I read your partial solution, but I don't have coilovers although I do have camber plates (GC). It is more annoying (and embarrassing with a passenger) than a problem. I'm still wondering about your initial thinking about the lubrication of the M3 sway bushings, which I have front and rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #25
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Did you read the post right above yours yet?

Also, what is your shock and spring setup then?
Appreciate 0