E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Should be safe to mod....should be...

04-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
ronny214
M3 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 ///M3 Black/Black

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Should be safe to mod....should be...

So you'd think after being plagued for months by this weird rattle that ranged from bad engine to bad transmission, followed by a bad ECU Firmware, that my car would be happy...you'd think.

Shortly after hearing about the battery cable recall, which knowing my luck I figured would probably apply to me, my car starts to randomly die on the tollway...in rush hour...in Dallas, Texas....wtf.

So I take the car into the dealership thinking that perhaps the battery cable recall not only applies to me, but is affecting me. After all, they told us the danger to the cable was that the car would die on people while driving...made sense, right? Sure enough, my car had the recall.

Fast forward 4 days, because of a damn weekend, to my adviser calling me. The battery cable has been replaced, but we are still noticing some issues with the car. Turns out the ECU update didn't fix my acceleration lag, I still have a weird idle issue, and they are having the car die on them while driving. 24 hours later I find out my fuel pump has failed. GAR.

So now I have the car back and just felt the need to rant. From my research it looks like the next most common thing to fail on the car is the water pump and the solenoids. Given that, I think this weekend I'll be putting on the FMIC and hopefully next weekend the downpipe. I mean if either of those fail, they better not tell me the mods on my car caused it! If so, I'll be tempted to just replace the damn things myself to preserve the warranty on the car. 3 more years/60k miles before I can stop worrying about this.....and repairs start to come out-of-pocket.

Oh, did I mention the dealership changed my oil and lost my oil plug cover? Just noticed that today when I changed the oil with my preferred oil.
2015 M3 // Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Extended Merino Leather / Carbon Fiber Trim / Executive Package / M Double-Clutch Transmission w/ Drivelogic / 19" Black Light-Alloy Wheels / Adaptive M Suspension / Harman Kardon surround sound
Other // Shell Rotella T6 5w40
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
SRT14PimPin07
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: X5

Bro I'm no car expert. But it sounds like you got a lemon in your hands. I would be scared to mod it!
      04-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
ronny214
M3 Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT14PimPin07 View Post
Bro I'm no car expert. But it sounds like you got a lemon in your hands. I would be scared to mod it!
Well the bad ECU Firmeware on the car is only considered "bad" because I wanted the cobb AP and cobb said it was a buggy ECU Firmeware..there were a lot of cars that had it.

The rattle was this little piece on the transmission that rattles. Apparently a very common issue that requires them to put this dampener on it to make the noise go away by stopping the part from rattling.

The battery cable recall was widespread across many many cars, so not too concerned about that one.

The fuel pump failure is a common issue on these cars and there are a TON of threads in the forums that go over the HPFP failure.

If I were having any problems other than these I'd be inclined to agree that I did have a lemon. Sadly, I just have all the most common failures failing on me at one time instead of being spaced out between 200 and 100,000 miles.
2015 M3 // Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Extended Merino Leather / Carbon Fiber Trim / Executive Package / M Double-Clutch Transmission w/ Drivelogic / 19" Black Light-Alloy Wheels / Adaptive M Suspension / Harman Kardon surround sound
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Hey Ronny, can you PM me the part no/ service order for that tranny damper part? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny214 View Post
The battery cable recall was widespread across many many cars, so not too concerned about that one.
This is true... I took my car to the dealer this morning, they told me about the recall on the battery cable. Reason is that the connector may come loose overtime and that the new cable has a different locking head to prevent this.

They also noted my rear brake pads needed replacement... I havent hit 22K yet. I think I am above the 5mm mark but hey I am not complaining its FREE service.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Evooooo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 XI Sedan M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloww22 View Post
This is true... I took my car to the dealer this morning, they told me about the recall on the battery cable. Reason is that the connector may come loose overtime and that the new cable has a different locking head to prevent this.

They also noted my rear brake pads needed replacement... I havent hit 22K yet. I think I am above the 5mm mark but hey I am not complaining its FREE service.
Ha Free service? CMon man you know better than to think you're getting anything free from BMW right?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evooooo View Post
Ha Free service? CMon man you know better than to think you're getting anything free from BMW right?
CONFIRMED: Seriously FREE rear brake pads...

Just for you Brendan... I took pictures of the recent email from my SA... just got the verified cost numbers ($). Please note everything was approved except tires and alignment. I just recently purchase new tires from tirerack but I am waiting a few more weeks to replace them...

Email from SA

Details
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe

Quote:
BMW's have free maintenance while under factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
Evooooo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 XI Sedan M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbell77 View Post
BMW's have free maintenance while under factory warranty.
Lol its not free, its just built into the pricing of the car
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
ronny214
M3 Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
You know I spend too much time on FaceBook when I looked for the Like button on this reply :P
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe

Quote:
If you made the mistake of buying a brand new car then yes, you did.

I let some other sucker pay that for me, and the immediate 20% depreciation for driving it off the lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
hetzle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbell77 View Post
If you made the mistake of buying a brand new car then yes, you did.

I let some other sucker pay that for me, and the immediate 20% depreciation for driving it off the lot.
True that, 1 year of someone else driving it saved me over $10k. Add to that 3yr/50k maint plan plus 6yr/100k warranty and it's a steal
2011 335i sedan 6MT, 515whp/530wtq. Pure Turbo Stage 2, Motiv SST TwinDisk Clutch/FW, Motiv Flash, AA 4" DP, ER FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, Quaife LSD, ST Coilovers, BMS Intake, UUC DSSR+SSK, ER CP, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
Appreciate 0