E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E92 Rear Footwell Lights

03-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
IronChancellor
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Coupe, Pre, Spt, NAV

E92 Rear Footwell Lights

Hello everyone,

Longtime reader, first time poster.

How difficult is it to replace the rear footwell lights on an E92? I ordered the lights from www.e92-lighting.com and they aren't actual bulbs, but rather just LED "sticks".

I then came across this thread while searching for an installation guide: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...45#post8735896

I really want to swap out those lights, but this is making me reconsider how important it is due to the problems outlined in the aforementioned thread.

Any advice and/or support is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

I mean, it's not that difficult, just be gentle and take your time! And if you're getting frustrated, put it down and walk away. And he tried to solder the metal pins back on, almost gauranteeing a short.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
HK8888
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [10.00]
Never had a problem on both my E92s. Plucked it out with my fingers.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
bboy_RES
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 AW 335i E92

I did these recently and it wasn't too bad after I got my technique down. Haha. Pop the lenses out with a small flat head. pull the bulbs out (I used a tiny flat head but I was careful not to touch the contacts). Insert the led bulb at an angle and then push in. Kinda hard to explain but that worked for me. Good luck with your install.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
IronChancellor
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Coupe, Pre, Spt, NAV

UPDATE:

I just did this project and wanted to post the results in case someone else queries this subject in the future.

Popping out the light with a small, flat head screwdriver is a no-brainer.

On the first side I did it on, I removed the lens and then lifted out the OEM bulbs by raising them with the same screwdriver and then removing them with my fingers. No problem at all.

I struggled getting the new LED sticks in place due to the length of them and the small amount of room to work with. I also didn't want to force them and break anything so I was being extra careful. I then noticed that the grey holding unit could be dropped from the main unit. I did this and then slid the new sticks right in, without any difficulty, and they look amazing.

On the other side, I didn't even remove the lens. I just dropped the grey holding unit (tray) and swapped the bulbs in seconds.

There is polarity on them meaning there is a proper top and bottom side. The first time I tested them on the initial side, they didn't come on. I flipped them over and they lit up perfectly.

I have included two pictures to showcase the grey holding unit I'm referring to. Dropping that tray made this project even easier than swapping out the sidemarker bulbs. In the second picture, I don't have the LED sticks in all the way as I'm showing that they can be slid straight in without angling them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
beemoo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 LCI

any pics of when fitted ?
Appreciate 0