E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anyone else get their credit reports regularly?

02-06-2006, 07:17 PM   #1
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Anyone else get their credit reports regularly?

Well, I do. I'm really kind of paranoid about this whole identity theft thing since someone sent me a fake eBay (phishing) email about 5 years ago and I filled the whole thing out.

Anyway, if you're like me and like to make sure your credit and debt history is on the up and up, you probably check your credit report often. Well, I just came across this article on MSNBC and it seems there's a new kind of identity theft going around called "SSN-only ID Theft". Nice, eh?

The article is really important and I'd recommened everyone here to check it out, just so you're aware of this. It turns out that someone can get a hold of your SSN and use it against you, but none of this shows up on your credit report. The article goes on to say basically there can be multiple names on your SSN and there's no way for you to find out about it.

Something needs to be drastically changed in this country. This is getting ridiculous!

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/02/her..._bu.html#posts
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
What you should actually do is pull a full 3 bureau credit report (tri-merged). This usually includes all your tradelines plus credit score. In addition, the last few pages of the report should contain numerous personal information including address, name, ss#, and even employment attached. They basically include anything that has certain association with your name or ss#. If you see something that looks fishy and shouldn't be there, contact the credit bureau immediately for them to investigate. I look at tons of credit reports daily and there are a lot of fraud/mistakes that people never knew of. It ends up delaying their house purchase or refinancing. A good place to pull from is Landsafe. Although a bit more difficult to obtain, it has a more thorough view of your credit, as oppose to one of those advertised consumer report places.
      02-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
I just pulled mine, and i found a couple bad eggs from back in 2000 that were still on there. Its a real pain in the ass to get them removed too, writing letters, phone calls, etc.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info, timzerofive

But this article says, "only entries that precisely match a consumer's name, SSN, and other personal information appear on such reports. Accounts opened using the consumer's number but a different name are often ommited..."
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Yes, the accounts won't be there, but thats why you have to look at the bottom of the report where they have associated names and address displayed. If you see someone else's name there, then it gives you a clue, and you should have the bureaus look into it right away. A lot of times you can request bureaus to place a "Hawk Alert" on your credit where the credit grantors who pulls the report will be advice to verify ID with name and ss# before granting credit. It often allows you to leave a phone number on the report and have credit grantors call you before granting any credits. This is not a foolproof method of course, its just one way for you at least have some type of control over monitoring fraud.
      02-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #6
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Here's an example of what you should be looking for. Notice bottom in AKA information, I see someone name Tom there. I know my name is not Tom so I immediately have the bureau investigate. Or if you were to look at the occupation, and that's not somewhere you've worked or has had association with, it should also raise a flag for you. Same goes for address.
Attached Images

02-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #7
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
...thats why you have to look at the bottom of the report where they have associated names and address displayed. If you see someone else's name there, then it gives you a clue, and you should have the bureaus look into it right away.

Oh, see I didn't know about this. I didn't know some of them list associated names. I get a pretty generic credit report from Discover card, since I have "account guard" and one of the benefits is two credit reports a year. But I'm checking it now and I don't see any "associated names".

Aside from Landsafe (since you said it could be difficult) can you recommend any other places that will give you this really complete version of your credit reoprt? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #8
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I think those credit card company offered credit reports are a bunch of hooey.

The free credit reports from the three reporting agencies should give you what you need. The only thing missing from the free ones is the actual numerical score. That you have to pay for afaik.
      02-07-2006, 02:05 AM   #9
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well, you can also try going to experian.com and actually purchase a 3 bureau credit report along with scores. They don't give as thorough of a info, but it's still serves the purpose. My company and also a lot of large mortgage companies use landsafe because it's clear and offers a lot of info.