E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

10-12-2012, 02:07 AM   #6315
harry$
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
OK,

so I was bored on the plane and decided to as this question?

I searched, but then again its a tough one to search.

When flashing COBB, as normal I get the "Transmission Malfunction" no big deal happened since day 1.

But the thing I noticed directly after flash since my pro e-tune MAPs and I think v401 and 402 OTS MAPs my car starts up in 3rd Gear and when shifting into reverse after flash I get a big jerk in the transmission, as if it went from 3rd to reverse.

anyone else having this experience on AT's?

Yes,I had that with previous firmwares but on 4744 I don't seem to have that now,

What firmware version is on your app now?

You will find that on most map changes it does this and occasionally it will not.

Also has anybody else found that once you try the new race maps and firmware that you don't trap any higher than the 2+ maps? and then when going back to the 2+ maps you cant even come close to what you originally used to do on the 2+, and now find you have to use the race map to achieve what you normally were able to do on the 2+ maps???
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #6316
R3dnax
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
you can search for codes in the forum. you can select by post , this is what i found with a search
2A18:
2A18 DMTL diagnosis module tank leakage, heating: input signal

The 2A18 code is due your car not having the same emissions control systems as a USDM car. Is it causing a engine light on the dash?
Are you using latest firmware and maps?
Basically is emissions related to shouldnt affect anything.
Yes should be up to date, running the E30 map now and it is still there..
an yes its causing a enigine light on the dash.

guess im gonna have to send in to Cobb and maybe they have a solution to get it fixed.. kinda annoying with the engine light on at all times..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #6317
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry$ View Post
Yes,I had that with previous firmwares but on 4744 I don't seem to have that now,

What firmware version is on your app now?

You will find that on most map changes it does this and occasionally it will not.

Also has anybody else found that once you try the new race maps and firmware that you don't trap any higher than the 2+ maps? and then when going back to the 2+ maps you cant even come close to what you originally used to do on the 2+, and now find you have to use the race map to achieve what you normally were able to do on the 2+ maps???
I have not updated the firmware because i have heard that there were some issues. I will look into it and check to see if this fixes it. thanks

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #6318
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
As there are dozens of COBB AP reviews on here already i'll just add mine to this 289 page thread. Maybe it'll help someone that is debating what tune to get and doesn't have the patience to read through the entire library that this thread is.

Just received my AP from COBB Tuning Surgeline in Portland. They had it to my doorstep within 24 hours (I only live a state away, but still nice job).

I have debated for the last year which tune to get, with my warranty expiring in the next 1500 miles I figured its time to start modding. Chose COBB due to their long track record tuning, and the resale value of the AP. Seems like the current version of the Procede is probably a little better (from reviews), but I just felt more comfortable with the COBB.

My car has been virtually troublefree since the original HPFP died at 4,800 miles back in late 09. I was nervous that I would get some codes or misfire issues upon install, but I am happy to report that the install went flawlessly, and the car is running great.

Another concern I had was the smoothness of Power delivery. Happy to say that on Map 1 Sport stock throttle the car accelerates beautifully. Probably more smooth than stock. My wife had a GTI with an APR flash and the power delivery on that was not very smooth. Fast, but not linear at all.

I threw in a K&N drop-in filter to hold me over until I either do the Mr5 mod or DCI.

The difference in power is not night and day (as was the GTI with APR), but the power delivery with COBB is stronger at all RPM, smoother, and just a bit more frantic. I have yet to play with any other maps. 93 octane is not readily available around here, and i don't really want to mess with alternative fuels at this point.

So for anyone on the fence, I have nothing but good things to say about my 24 hours of experience with the COBB. Easy install, no codes, Silky smooth acceleration, engine definitely feels stronger.

I've been spending a little time trying to get smart on data logging, i'll have to polish up my excel skills, but this seems like an easy and fun way to keep track of the cars health.

Now I just can't wait for the next mod. HPF exhaust. Sounds beautiful, competitive price, and HPF is right in my backyard (well, 100 miles away). If I didn't have a family trip to hawaii and christmas coming up i'd have the exhaust today.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #6319
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
As there are dozens of COBB AP reviews on here already i'll just add mine to this 289 page thread. Maybe it'll help someone that is debating what tune to get and doesn't have the patience to read through the entire library that this thread is.

Just received my AP from COBB Tuning Surgeline in Portland. They had it to my doorstep within 24 hours (I only live a state away, but still nice job).

I have debated for the last year which tune to get, with my warranty expiring in the next 1500 miles I figured its time to start modding. Chose COBB due to their long track record tuning, and the resale value of the AP. Seems like the current version of the Procede is probably a little better (from reviews), but I just felt more comfortable with the COBB.

My car has been virtually troublefree since the original HPFP died at 4,800 miles back in late 09. I was nervous that I would get some codes or misfire issues upon install, but I am happy to report that the install went flawlessly, and the car is running great.

Another concern I had was the smoothness of Power delivery. Happy to say that on Map 1 Sport stock throttle the car accelerates beautifully. Probably more smooth than stock. My wife had a GTI with an APR flash and the power delivery on that was not very smooth. Fast, but not linear at all.

I threw in a K&N drop-in filter to hold me over until I either do the Mr5 mod or DCI.

The difference in power is not night and day (as was the GTI with APR), but the power delivery with COBB is stronger at all RPM, smoother, and just a bit more frantic. I have yet to play with any other maps. 93 octane is not readily available around here, and i don't really want to mess with alternative fuels at this point.

So for anyone on the fence, I have nothing but good things to say about my 24 hours of experience with the COBB. Easy install, no codes, Silky smooth acceleration, engine definitely feels stronger.

I've been spending a little time trying to get smart on data logging, i'll have to polish up my excel skills, but this seems like an easy and fun way to keep track of the cars health.

Now I just can't wait for the next mod. HPF exhaust. Sounds beautiful, competitive price, and HPF is right in my backyard (well, 100 miles away). If I didn't have a family trip to hawaii and christmas coming up i'd have the exhaust today.
Good choice... and great staff at Surgeline. They are the only shop that I let touch my car around here (besides the dealership)

if you happen to drop by Portland, hit me up. I'll give you a ride in a FBO COBB custom tuned car
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #6320
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
Good choice... and great staff at Surgeline. They are the only shop that I let touch my car around here (besides the dealership)

if you happen to drop by Portland, hit me up. I'll give you a ride in a FBO COBB custom tuned car
You forgot to mention your secret ingredient.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #6321
marv85
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You forgot to mention your secret ingredient.
hahah two missing ingredients .... mostly E85, to a second order meth.

btw it is raining now... can't do 3rd gear pulls
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #6322
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
hahah two missing ingredients .... mostly E85, to a second order meth.

btw it is raining now... can't do 3rd gear pulls
Yeah I know. Looks like no rain yet over here but hopefully be done on the next version. Got another misfire, but it followed the coil. So that's good news, coil be here on Tuesday.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #6323
marv85
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I know. Looks like no rain yet over here but hopefully be done on the next version. Got another misfire, but it followed the coil. So that's good news, coil be here on Tuesday.
Good! It rocks when it's just a coil... 15 minutes to swap and you're ripping again.

I had a JB4 for gauge hijacking that I sold when I installed the HFS-4. Used the money to upgrade parts... coils, DVs, tmap etc...

Well get it done quick. You don't know when the rain hits. I flashed stage1 sport yesterday. That's all I need on wet roads.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #6324
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Quote:

I make it to Portland a few times a year. I'll message you next time i'm planning a trip.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #6325
marv85
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
I make it to Portland a few times a year. I'll message you next time i'm planning a trip.
sounds good
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #6326
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Good! It rocks when it's just a coil... 15 minutes to swap and you're ripping again.

I had a JB4 for gauge hijacking that I sold when I installed the HFS-4. Used the money to upgrade parts... coils, DVs, tmap etc...

Well get it done quick. You don't know when the rain hits. I flashed stage1 sport yesterday. That's all I need on wet roads.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. When rain come and my daily commute, does it make sense to run E50 PTF? Was thinking just running OTS S1+ Drive as my commuter, and maybe some nice weekends when the sun is out flashing back to E50 PTF.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #6327
marv85
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. When rain come and my daily commute, does it make sense to run E50 PTF? Was thinking just running OTS S1+ Drive as my commuter, and maybe some nice weekends when the sun is out flashing back to E50 PTF.
Agreed. Who needs 20psi and tons of timing on wet roads lol

I'm running even lower. Stage1 sport feels great

If it's still dry when I get back from downtown, I'll do some runs on my way.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #6328
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

So I finally got my DP's installed yesterday with a little help from friends and loaded stage 2 + FMIC aggresive. I just want to make sure it's ok to run this map with what i have. I now have dp's, fmic, 93 octane, and a K&N filter but no cat back exhaust (just have stock exhaust). The map notes say a cat back exhaust is "suggested" but I've seen a lot of opinions that there's not much more to be gained with an exhaust. How important is cat back exhaust for this map? Will I be fine without it?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #6329
marv85
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
So I finally got my DP's installed yesterday with a little help from friends and loaded stage 2 + FMIC aggresive. I just want to make sure it's ok to run this map with what i have. I now have dp's, fmic, 93 octane, and a K&N filter but no cat back exhaust (just have stock exhaust). The map notes say a cat back exhaust is "suggested" but I've seen a lot of opinions that there's not much more to be gained with an exhaust. How important is cat back exhaust for this map? Will I be fine without it?
Cat back is suggested... but you have all the required mods. You can run S2+ agg. Nonetheless, you should definitely log to make sure the car is happy.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #6330
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
Run S2 Aggressive+FMIC.

I ran that map even without a FMIC and it ran fine (except on the track where the car started throwing CELs), so you'll be more than fine with it.
      10-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #6331
harry$
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
I have not updated the firmware because i have heard that there were some issues. I will look into it and check to see if this fixes it. thanks

VNeblob42,

Has updating resolved your issues?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #6332
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Stupid question.
Can the cobb ap clear Check engine lights?, or does it just delete the codes, and the light stays on?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #6333
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Stupid question.
Can the cobb ap clear Check engine lights?, or does it just delete the codes, and the light stays on?
depends what issue you have but it clears the codes which shut off the engine light but if you have a recurring issue deleting codes aint gonna fix it.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #6334
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
Hey @VNeBLOB42, I didn't forget about you. I talked to Rob and the software guys and they are working on the logging issue. We've had a lot on our plates lately, but we'll let you know as soon as there's an update for you.
Does your stage 2+ aggressive, and/or race tune, speed up the water pump? I'm wondering what other modifications (like for cooling) you guys made to the basic logic, when this mode is engaged at the track. You know, one with turns.

Also, can you run the race tune with a mix of 100, and 93 (like to create 95 octane), or do you have to have straight 100 octane?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #6335
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Does your stage 2+ aggressive, and/or race tune, speed up the water pump? I'm wondering what other modifications (like for cooling) you guys made to the basic logic, when this mode is engaged at the track. You know, one with turns.

Also, can you run the race tune with a mix of 100, and 93 (like to create 95 octane), or do you have to have straight 100 octane?
no the pump is not touched as far as i know. OEM logic. is already crappy as it is.
RACE map is for RACE gas only 100 octane plus.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #6336
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
no the pump is not touched as far as i know. OEM logic. is already crappy as it is.
RACE map is for RACE gas only 100 octane plus.
Thanks enrita. It would be nice, if we can get the race map to max out the water pump at the track, ala dinan. Hopefully they are listening, and will do this on their next version of the race map. How much control does their program have over the dme logic? Just wondering, since their flash time is so much quicker than GIAC, or dinan.

oh yeah, and how much peak boost does the race map run?

Last edited by Killerfish2012; 10-15-2012 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0